What needs to be fixed to make 0.7 a success?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
antroy

Post by antroy »

(Windows) Purely cosmetic, but it would be good to get the icon in the title bar working properly, rather than using the Windows default icon. It surely can't be a difficult fix, but it does look unprofessional, when even the lowliest of software projects can manage their own icon in the title bar!
Ant...
chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven »

The few things I would like to see:

Hyatt's work on extension uninstall and the other extension-related plans he is working on.
A New User/Tech Support bookmark on the personal toolbar that goes to the New User Help forum here.
That Flash install bug if possible
An official installer that installs the proper registry entries for everything including what is needed to get the latest Java to work.
I know I can dream, but a splashscreen for those who have slow startup times for Firebird.
Something similar to the extensions screen in the Options window for plugins.
Apple Macbook (Black) - 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.x, Firefox 3.6.x
kernal32

Post by kernal32 »

DaTTa

Post by DaTTa »

It's very annoying to lose some URLs due to connection problems when you have lots of tabs opened.

I think bug 203102 (Investigate/port patches for url field tab problems) should be fixed in 0.7
The "original" Mozilla bug (104778 - URI written in location bars doesn't persist tab/window switching...) was fixed back in 1.4.
[DaTTa]
neilio

Post by neilio »

Is 0.7 going to have better Mac support? Seeing how it will be replacing Mozilla sooner rather than later, it would be nice to see Firebird at least get closer to being more Mac friendly.

Oh, and along those lines, it would be great to see a more OS X-like theme shipped with the Mac version - Pinstripe (almost finished) is beautiful:

http://kmgerich.com/pinstripe/beta.html
Slumming at the beatnikPad : http://www.beatnikpad.com/
seb

Post by seb »

chrisgeleven wrote:An official installer that installs the proper registry entries for everything including what is needed to get the latest Java to work.
Just a note: since Firebird 0.6.1, the unofficial installer adds this registry too.

The only reg key I left out is the one to have WMP9 instead of WMP6.4, since it crashes the browser here.
gahbmwM5

Re: What needs to be fixed to make 0.7 a success?

Post by gahbmwM5 »

daihard wrote:
Blake wrote:What do we need to fix to make 0.7 a success?

Fixing the bug that causes Firebird to crash upon installation of a new theme will definitely help, IMO. It is Bug 214777.

Thanks for your continued effort. Keep up the great work!

Dai

I must agree...and the favicon bug issue. Firebird is a fantastic browser, and everyday I'm getting more comfortable with it...However for the new user, the learning curve is quite a bit steeper then other browsers and documentation to support it, is confusing...

I have had computer savvy colleagues at other forums who tried Firebird at my urging, only to be told by them, that they tried to install a different theme, and the browser immediately crashed, leaving them with a unfavorable first time experience...just imagine what a new user (who is already skeptical) thinks...

Please keep up your dedicated efforts in the development of this great browser, for I am now hooked...

P.S. the MIME type issue ( understood that there is much debate on this subject), and the Flash issue is key for new users to come away with a pleasant, first time experience/impression...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:2.0b7) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0b7
Mat

Post by Mat »

i'd like it if the url is shown before its loaded when using tabs. sometimes i open a url in a tab, it times out and i have absolutely no idea what i'Ve opened in that tab and i cant reload it
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

DizzyWeb wrote:The most important issue for me: the screen-shaking when using a non-Qute theme. I hate Qute and I love Phoenity, with this shaking I will remain at 20030802.

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=215446
Vote for it.
gahbmwM5

Post by gahbmwM5 »

hao2lian wrote:
DizzyWeb wrote:The most important issue for me: the screen-shaking when using a non-Qute theme. I hate Qute and I love Phoenity, with this shaking I will remain at 20030802.

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=215446
Vote for it.

Hmmm...just read this. I guess I will stick with 0.6.1 Milestone, at least for the time being...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:2.0b7) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0b7
Spaz

Post by Spaz »

The four things I would work on is:
getting the downloads to download properly. Everytime I try to download a rar file it displays it in the browser in ascii characters.

Having some sort of Mimi type manager in which you can add in the types manually or edit what is currently in their.

Maybe add a mail icon on the toolbar in and have a setting in options in which you can select which mail client to open with that button.

Get a offical installer going some people are very unattracted with the unziping thing and figuring out the regestry thing.
chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven »

seb wrote:
chrisgeleven wrote:An official installer that installs the proper registry entries for everything including what is needed to get the latest Java to work.
Just a note: since Firebird 0.6.1, the unofficial installer adds this registry too.

The only reg key I left out is the one to have WMP9 instead of WMP6.4, since it crashes the browser here.

Your unofficial installer is great, but we still get a lot of new users who didn't even know there was an unofficial installer. A lot of their problems would be solved if they could find it the first try.
Apple Macbook (Black) - 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.x, Firefox 3.6.x
placenickhere

hmmm.....

Post by placenickhere »

how about working talkback... but maybe i'm asking too much
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Persist wrote:The Flash bug. I just installed Flash 7beta the other day and it hosed the all.js file so that bug is still there.

I agree that installation of plugins should be as foolproof as possible. However, you can't use a beta product (Flash 7"beta") to show a problem with another product. If the same problem happens with a currently released version, let's use that instead to repro.
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)