MozillaZine

PC World on Ghostery

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Graham Paige

Post Posted May 23rd, 2010, 11:18 pm

Page 2 of a May 23 PC World story

http://www.pcworld.com/article/196787-2 ... ivacy.html

on web privacy states:
Better Advertising offers a browser plug-in called Ghostery that can alert you to hidden trackers and block scripts from tracking you. Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer support the add-on; but, except in Chrome, the blocking functions don't work.

Is this true or is PC World wrong? Does Ghostery running in Firefox not block web bugs though its ad-blocking tab reveals controls to do so, along with check marks that indicate they are blocked?

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted May 23rd, 2010, 11:25 pm

Well personally I think Ghostery is a tracking cookie spyware program rolled into one. And you would have to have rocks in your head to install it. And as usual PCWorld seems to be running hand in hand with Google to promote Chrome. What a surprise :shock: Another pile of FUD from the usual suspects
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

Davezilla17

Post Posted May 24th, 2010, 11:07 am

Graham Paige wrote:Page 2 of a May 23 PC World story

http://www.pcworld.com/article/196787-2 ... ivacy.html

on web privacy states:
Better Advertising offers a browser plug-in called Ghostery that can alert you to hidden trackers and block scripts from tracking you. Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer support the add-on; but, except in Chrome, the blocking functions don't work.

Is this true or is PC World wrong? Does Ghostery running in Firefox not block web bugs though its ad-blocking tab reveals controls to do so, along with check marks that indicate they are blocked?

The blocking functions don't work in Chrome, but do in Firefox. I don't know about IE.
SeaMonkey ~ A sane browser in an insane world.

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

GhosteryRose

Post Posted June 17th, 2010, 4:29 pm

Hello.

Ghostery for Firefox has blocking capabilities since about the second version. The editor of the PC world article you've referenced is aware of the error in the article. We're still waiting for that to be redacted.
We've also just released v.2.2 of the Firefox version and it includes some nifty features like white listing. You can read about it on our blog http://news.ghostery.com/post/685799096 ... tery-v-2-2

Presently, Google Chrome doesn't support blocking features on third party extensions. Once blocking is supported on Chrome, we shall build out Chrome's blocking capabilities. IE has blocking features as well.

Rose
Ghostery Community Manager.

Omega X

Post Posted June 17th, 2010, 8:01 pm

There is something scarily ironic about a company called "Better Advertising" offering up a "Privacy" control plugin.

I'd avoid that like the plague.
Latest: Firefox/73.0 *ESR/68.5.0 - Mobile/68.5.0 - Thunderbird/68.5.0
Nightly: Nightly/75.0a1 - Mobile/75.0a1 - Daily/75.0a1

eradic8

Post Posted June 20th, 2010, 3:56 am

Omega X wrote:There is something scarily ironic about a company called "Better Advertising" offering up a "Privacy" control plugin.

I'd avoid that like the plague.

Well you are narrow minded then.. I have been using it for about a year now and think it is an excellent plugin, it does not concern me that this plugin is called "Better Advertising" after all it is only a name, why do people get so paranoid over a name? Anyway there have been some excellent improvements with the release of 2.2, making it an even more valuable addition to my internet security.

It is blocking Google Adsense & Google Custom Search Engine on this page.

Bluefang

Post Posted June 20th, 2010, 1:28 pm

The issue is not with the name. The issue is that it's a privacy extension developed by a company whose core business is collecting, tracking, and using visitor information. And for all their touted 'openness' and 'transparency', I can't find any information on how their platform works, what kind of information it collects, or how it is used... and the only privacy policy I could find was for their website.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted June 20th, 2010, 4:10 pm

As I said
malliz wrote:Well personally I think Ghostery is a tracking cookie spyware program rolled into one. And you would have to have rocks in your head to install it.

You are basically installing a program that does the job of a tracking cookie but in a much more comprehensive way. Want to bet they are not then on selling the information for a tidy profit?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

Frank Lion

Post Posted June 20th, 2010, 5:09 pm

eradic8 wrote:
Omega X wrote:There is something scarily ironic about a company called "Better Advertising" offering up a "Privacy" control plugin. I'd avoid that like the plague.

Well you are narrow minded then..

...which is much better than being naive, as you are being here.

it does not concern me that this plugin is called "Better Advertising" after all it is only a name, why do people get so paranoid over a name?

Hitler is only a name, but you planning to name your kids that?

...as is 4 lines in my hosts file. Your point?
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

fixanoid

Post Posted June 20th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Hi all. I am the developer of Firefox Ghostery as part of BetterAdvertising.

First of all, as the developer of the extension, I can assure you that the only way our company gets any information from you is if you opt-in into a part of Ghostery that allows us to receive any data from you: GhostRank (for which you would need to open Ghostery options and click the checkbox next to Enable GhostRank). If you are not opted in, we never receive any info from you. If you do opt-in, the information sent to us only relates to the web-bugs found by your installation of Ghostery while browsing intertubes, any personal information (your IP, browser, and so on) is removed from our servers. For those interested investigating my claim, simply open the source of the extension and review the contents. I will assist if needed.

Second, as a member of BetterAdvertising, I can also assure you that none of the data we have is ever going to be sold to anybody. There are many reasons why this is bad for business to begin with, but without boring you with the details, our business has little to do with advertising as we all know. What we strive to do is make advertising compliance commonplace. A valid comparison to what we're building would be to look at what is Sorbanes-Oaxley law did to financial companies -- BetterAdvertising is a similar platform for online advertising compliance. What that will mean is the following: we create, build, and enforce the online advertising behavioral targeting rules for the end users. In plain terms, that will allow any internet user opt-out from one place for any and all targeting, as well as manage what they do get if they do want to be targeted.

I'll be around to answer any questions, tho a better related forum for any Ghostery issues is our getsatisfaction community: http://getsatisfaction.com/ghostery.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted June 20th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Whatever. Sorry but someone who is taking the company dollar is in no way unbiased.
I can tell you however neither friends, relations or my clients will be installing your software.
I would strongly advise other people to steer clear of it.
"Terry Pratchett"

eradic8

Post Posted June 21st, 2010, 1:07 am

malliz wrote:As I said
malliz wrote:Well personally I think Ghostery is a tracking cookie spyware program rolled into one. And you would have to have rocks in your head to install it.

You are basically installing a program that does the job of a tracking cookie but in a much more comprehensive way. Want to bet they are not then on selling the information for a tidy profit?

That would be a huge risk for them as a company, and would almost certainly lead to a prosecution I'm sure, as they would be misleading people. I do think however that they need to be a bit more open, so as to dispell all this paranoia surrounding ghostery.

eradic8

Post Posted June 21st, 2010, 1:09 am

Frank Lion wrote:
eradic8 wrote:
Omega X wrote:There is something scarily ironic about a company called "Better Advertising" offering up a "Privacy" control plugin. I'd avoid that like the plague.

Well you are narrow minded then..

...which is much better than being naive, as you are being here.

it does not concern me that this plugin is called "Better Advertising" after all it is only a name, why do people get so paranoid over a name?

Hitler is only a name, but you planning to name your kids that?

...as is 4 lines in my hosts file. Your point?

That is just a silly response. You stick to being paranoid and I guess I will stick to being naive then.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted June 21st, 2010, 2:24 am

eradic8 wrote:That would be a huge risk for them as a company, and would almost certainly lead to a prosecution I'm sure, as they would be misleading people.

How do you know they are misleading people if they don't have a proper EULA? And a company trying to get away with something :shock: Don't come back crying when they do a Sony
"Terry Pratchett"

Frank Lion

Post Posted June 21st, 2010, 4:41 am

fixanoid wrote:Hi all. I am the developer of Firefox Ghostery as part of BetterAdvertising.

First of all, as the developer of the extension, I can assure y

Your only raison d'être is to avoid enforced regulation of the advertising industry, as shown below.

Well, that and an accreditation 'middle man' scheme for you guys, hmm? Advertisers buying a 'Seal of Approval', etc...'?

Online data collection and consumer privacy issues have increased pressure toward legislation and industry regulation by Congress and the US Federal Trade Commission. Better Advertising's technology is an innovative response to this pressure. It provides a level of transparency for the industry to obviate the need for regulation, ensuring both consumer privacy and ongoing brand protection for marketers - all of which will keep the interactive industry growing.

http://www.betteradvertising.com/about_us.html

Nice team. Nice resumes, I thought. - http://www.betteradvertising.com/our_team.html

People-do-not-want-ads or schemes like this. Geddit?

eradic8 wrote:You stick to being paranoid

Let me try to understand this. My putting a total 25 lines in my hosts file and then just forgetting about the whole thing is, er, being paranoid, but you writing the following is a normal, totally non-paranoid, response?

eradic8 wrote:
octoweb wrote:I am a web master from a very small web site and Adblock is hurting my site like the feeling you get after your house burns down.

I hope all of the Adblock plus users really feel what we the web masters feel. The only source of revenue for us is the ads on the side of our pages. And when you block those ads, who is going to pay our bills?

My heart bleeds for you, how about you start feeling what we feel when we are bombarded with popups and advertising from money greedy individuals like yourself. I dont care who pays your bills, find another way of making money, and stop whingeing. Do you seriously think that Mozilla is going to listen to you, if they were to do that my guess is that they would lose the majority of firefox users in no time at all.
I can hardly believe what I'm hearing here, you seem to think that we owe you a living, everyone is entitled to a choice, and if they dont want to be bombarded with ads that is their choice. The main reason I use Firefox is because of the excellent Addons Like Adblock plus and noscript, but even with these enable some advertiser still manage to deface my computer with their trash. Maybe you should find a different and more respectable way of making a living.

viewtopic.php?p=8887865#p8887865
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Return to Firefox General