Who wants an extension to restore '- Mozilla Firebird' ?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
MORA

Post by MORA »

Colin Ramsay wrote:Without quoting pointless guidelines which people ignore, can anyone explain why retaining the - Mozilla Firebird label is useful?

If you are going to refer to usability guidelines please have relevant testcases available - i.e. poor sighted people to refer to.

See e.g. comments #22 (evangelism and standard Windows behavior) and #53 (accessibility issues for blind people) in the bug report. IMHO both are very good arguments to undo the damage and restore the old Firebird behavior (and then fix the Mac problem only).

By the way: I think it would be downright ludicrous to create an extension for this. Proper UI behavior should be part of the application itself.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Its a very bad and extremely strange idea to remove the "- Mozilla Firebird" from the title bar. The browser got anonymous for people who dont know about Firebird. It will be harder to promote the browser to the rest of the world when the people cant see the name an memorize it together with the gui. Its now the same thing with Thunderbird - "The anonymous mail client from Mozilla.org".
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

Hyatt is investigating the issue on the grounds of accessibility. Since we've listed just about every possible argument between here, bugzilla and <a href="irc://irc.mozilla.org/firebird">IRC</a>, it would probably be a good idea to hold off arguing, and let him do it :)
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Hendikins wrote:Hyatt is investigating the issue on the grounds of accessibility. Since we've listed just about every possible argument between here, bugzilla and <a href="irc://irc.mozilla.org/firebird">IRC</a>, it would probably be a good idea to hold off arguing, and let him do it :)

Agree - and there is an extension that actually works and I will personally install and test it with some textreading equipment that a friend of mine is using. If that works - well then we at least have a working solution for blind people/people with poor eyesight and textereaders. Wich for me is the most important reason in this.

And I might add - the discussion we had on IRC was very good and it´s just another proof that the devs actually are willing to listen to us users. I take my hat off (if I had one) for that!

(Yeah, I know I have one in my avatar but that also a troll so...)
Last edited by Dunderklumpen on August 9th, 2003, 5:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
c∂n

Post by c∂n »

MORA wrote:By the way: I think it would be downright ludicrous to create an extension for this. Proper UI behavior should be part of the application itself.

too late
MORA

Re: 111

Post by MORA »

c∂n wrote:
MORA wrote:By the way: I think it would be downright ludicrous to create an extension for this. Proper UI behavior should be part of the application itself.

too late

Yeah, that's what some people said before Hyatt reopened the bug. It is never too late to correct a mistake.

An extension for this feature/bug may solve the accessability problem for blind people, but in my opinion it's a kludge anyway, as it does not address the other issues: standard Windows UI behavior, enhancing Firebird name recognition for the masses.
A work-around, rather than a solution. Or, to be more specific: a work-around to fix the troubles which were caused by another work-around. ;)

Personally, I couldn't care less about this issue: I know what browser I'm using. However, I honestly believe that this will confuse new users (especially Windows users) and it will hurt Firebird marketing efforts by making the browser conceil its identity whenever a non-blank page is displayed. A show stopper? Not really, but I still found this important enough to vote for this bug.

But I promise that I will stop beating this horse when I'm sure it's really dead, okay? :D
Hendikins

Re: 111

Post by Hendikins »

MORA wrote:But I promise that I will stop beating this horse when I'm sure it's really dead, okay? :D

I suggest holding off beating the horse for the time being, since it *is* being looked at.
topik

Post by topik »

it's never very nice to beat the horsies.

(i want it back too, especially for pages that have no title or non-html files opened in the browser)
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Dunderklumpen wrote:And I might add - the discussion we had on IRC was very good and it´s just another proof that the devs actually are willing to listen to us users. I take my hat off (if I had one) for that!

(Yeah, I know I have one in my avatar but that also a troll so...)

How about creating a new avatar with the hat off? ;)

Honestly, I am happy with the current behaviour. When the page is blank, "Mozilla Firebird" appears. Loading a URL will replace it with the title of the page. Looks good...
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)