Where I stand

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

Er. I didn't stick this. I specifically intended to let it sink or swim on merit. Whodunnit?
GNTMN

Post by GNTMN »

Mr. Hendy,

I live inSpringfield IL where A. Lincoln 16th president lived. In his
time slavery was the "cool" thing, just as now marketing is the "cool" thing. Lincoln stayed true to his ideals even though things got pretty tough for him, as they very likely are for you. Stay true to your ideals.
America changed the people saw the cool way,then was the wrong way. It may not look it right now but America will change this market
everything approach will be seen for what it is. The people will change people helping people just to help people will be cool again.
When that happens there'll be a need for those like you to be in all
places. Sure Mike it'll be hard really HARD! but the mozilla foundation is going to need somelike you to continue to show the way in the interim. Your plugindoc helped without selling that is needed now & needed when helping becomes cool again.
The right way will prevail despite appearances. Hang in there
Mike!
Life is a journey, live the journey, because every
destination is the door to another.
andkon

Post by andkon »

aebrahim

Post by aebrahim »

andkon wrote:https://addons.update.mozilla.org/plugins/ ???

Your point?
andkon

Post by andkon »

Well I don't have a point... but it's a ripoff from plugindoc, with less.
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

Actually, no it isn't. I discussed that at length with Wolf. It has absolutely nothing to do with anything that has me ticked off. :-)
Justsayno

Post by Justsayno »

<Blockquote>I may cease work on PluginDoc, or even remove it entirely, if a satisfactory solution to the problems with Mozilla Update is not reached. </Blockquote>

I'm sorry man, but this sounds like you're playing either a blackmail card or taking your ball and going home. I'm sorry you're having problems, but trashing a helpful site to many other users just sounds so immature, whatever the reasoning behind it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.2, Windows XP pro, P4 3GHZ HT, 1GB DDR SDRAM
FMFNAVYDOC

Post by FMFNAVYDOC »

GNTMN wrote:Mr. Hendy,

I live inSpringfield IL where A. Lincoln 16th president lived. In his
time slavery was the "cool" thing, just as now marketing is the "cool" thing. Lincoln stayed true to his ideals even though things got pretty tough for him, as they very likely are for you. Stay true to your ideals.
America changed the people saw the cool way,then was the wrong way. It may not look it right now but America will change this market
everything approach will be seen for what it is. The people will change people helping people just to help people will be cool again.
When that happens there'll be a need for those like you to be in all
places. Sure Mike it'll be hard really HARD! but the mozilla foundation is going to need somelike you to continue to show the way in the interim. Your plugindoc helped without selling that is needed now & needed when helping becomes cool again.
The right way will prevail despite appearances. Hang in there
Mike!

Mike,

I've got to agree with GNTMN...your site has helped me out on countless occaisons, whether I've set up Mozilla or FireFox on a Windows or Linux system, and I'm not the only one out here who has benefitted from your help...work with Mozilla Foundation, iron out the problems (if possible) and help make Mozilla/FireFox a better tool than IE is for the masses.
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

Hendikins.
Could you post more info on the problem?

The reason I ask is
1) There is a huge community out side of the MoFo (Mozilla foundation) that is willing to help you and keep things current
2) Plugin-Doc is indespensible... we need it bad.
3) It survival shouldn't depend on (as you say) Petty Political issues.

As part of this community, I ask if you could please provide me with specifics, as I know some people like Wolf are hard to deal with, but I'm sure there is a solution or middle ground we can find... and if not, we can help out in other ways as well.

Thanks
-Jed
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

Well, at this stage, things with Update appear to be getting sorted out (touch wood!), which would render this entire thread not applicable.

I am also suprised by the level of community support for the project (not me), which has also forced me to re-evaluate the situation.

I am, however, still not a happy camper.

The Update issue is not the reason for the thread, it is more of a catalyst.
Sander

Post by Sander »

Justsayno wrote:I'm sorry man, but this sounds like you're playing either a blackmail card or taking your ball and going home.
It sounds to me like sending a message to MoFo. They might be ignoring and actively trying to alienate the hordes of non-firefox-fanboys who for years have given heart and soul to do all the low-level support and bug triaging and translating and everything else that goes on just behind the ranks of active developers, but they can't do without them, and as such they really should think twice before continuing that policy.

edit: oh cool on Hendikins saying that it appears to be getting sorted out.
rfrangioni77

Post by rfrangioni77 »

Hendikins wrote:Well, at this stage, things with Update appear to be getting sorted out (touch wood!), which would render this entire thread not applicable.

You know, some real information about this cryptic "issue" would be nice. You brought it up, it would be nice to get the whole story.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I don't know anything about the recent incident, but I know what a loss this would be to me. PluginDoc is an invaluable resource for those that wish Firefox and Tbird to enhance their multimedia capabilities, and not limit them. I, myself have been faced with the line 'whats good for you is not necessarily whats good for the web' (or Firefox dev for that matter) Recently plugin support was removed from the Tbird branch builds without a thought for those of us that would like it fixed and expanded. Alas, most Tbird users and devs did not even know that plugin support worked fine for certain media types and plugins. Moz foundation is not of course a 'democracy' , and I think they are 'flushed' with the recent success of Firefox, but they should not disregard or diminish other developemental ideas and philosophies.
Hang in there Hendikins, those of us struggling with the Tbird 'plain text' wanabees feel your pain.
JoeS
JoeS Testing current Thunderbird trunk builds WinXP SP2+
news://news.mozilla.org.mozilla.test.multimedia How to Post
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

rfrangioni77 wrote:
Hendikins wrote:Well, at this stage, things with Update appear to be getting sorted out (touch wood!), which would render this entire thread not applicable.

You know, some real information about this cryptic "issue" would be nice. You brought it up, it would be nice to get the whole story.

These are administrative issues, with no direct impact on users. People who would be directly impacted (or have been hanging around in #umo lately) have seen. Communication is also a problem with Update.
rfrangioni77

Post by rfrangioni77 »

Hendikins wrote:Communication is also a problem with Update.

As it is in this thread, it would seem. =)

Stick with it, dude...it'll work out. You've done too much good work with PluginDoc to abandon it now. =)