plugin-container.exe internet access

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Frank Lion

Re: plugin-container.exe internet access

Post by Frank Lion »

T0morrow wrote:Also i havent noticed firefox.exe taking less RAM.It still seems the same to me.On my case around 100MB with 1 tab.

You might need to look at the rest of your Firefox setup. For example, I'm using 10 tabs and that is using 94MB.

There is also a very nice extension called BarTab - I've just enabled that and the same 10 tabs use 72MB (9 of them are not loaded until you need them)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Moo Acow

Post by Moo Acow »

HKPolice wrote:Can anyone explain why plugin-container.exe needs to access the net for some sites but not others? It's NOT trying to access localhost, but the actual website that I'm trying to surf. If I deny it access, everything still runs fine.

This is my exact question. Is there any noticeable difference between blocking the program and allowing it to connect directly to a site? If not then I may as well just forbid access to the internets :)

...It tried to connect to Yahoo Mail today. But not to all sorts of other sites :-k I don't see a pattern, nor understand why it doesn't just let Firefox do the connecting. Any clues?
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Bluefang,
What! The crash protection is not provided for Macs? Well, I am not having problems there anyway. Thanks for the info, and I have now enabled plugin-container to have access.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

People,
The reason plugin-container.exe was connecting to the localhost address was because it was using the same local proxy that Firefox uses. I have filtering done by the local proxy, so all HTTP is going in and out through that rather than directly to or from the browser. If you are not using a local proxy, the connection is directly to the web servers.
T0morrow

Post by T0morrow »

Frank Lion wrote:
T0morrow wrote:Also i havent noticed firefox.exe taking less RAM.It still seems the same to me.On my case around 100MB with 1 tab.

You might need to look at the rest of your Firefox setup. For example, I'm using 10 tabs and that is using 94MB.

There is also a very nice extension called BarTab - I've just enabled that and the same 10 tabs use 72MB (9 of them are not loaded until you need them)

I really dont care as long as Firefox does not become laggy and that seems to happen only at 600MB+ mark.I rarely see such number if at all.
While true that i have rather high RAM usage at 1 tab then with 50-60 tab i still have about 400MB usage so each added tab actually does not add much to the overall RAM usage and the scaling is rather good.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

I noticed that plugin-container.exe connected to these two addresses:

TCP - 64.211.144.93
UDP - 156.154.70.22

These showed up in my firewall log.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.1, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

HULU Re: plugin-container.exe internet access

Post by Guest »

I saw this happening with HULU but not youtube, and I blame everyone (: firefox/plugin-container/flash/hulu :)

see the thing is, i can watch youtube vids fine and others video sites,
but on HULU, I can watch the ADS, but for watching the actual video,
plugin-container wants internet access,
If I deny, then hulu says "sorry, we are unable to stream this video"
"please check your connection and try again"

Some websites, like tinychat.com will continually fail to connect -- this is probably related to the latest flash version, not to plugin-container

this is a ridiculous situation, just ridiculous :)
GTryder

Post by GTryder »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:I noticed that plugin-container.exe connected to these two addresses:

TCP - 64.211.144.93
UDP - 156.154.70.22

IP address; 64.211.144.93:
OrgName: Global Crossing
OrgID: GBLX
Address: 14605 South 50th Street
City: Phoenix
StateProv: AZ
PostalCode: 85044-6471

IP address; 156.154.70.22:
OrgName: NeuStar, Inc.
OrgID: NEUS
Address: 45980 Center Oak Plaza
Address: Network Operations Center
City: Sterling
StateProv: VA
PostalCode: 20166

Source: ARIN WHOIS Database Search

Is it possible that these addresses are related to the site you were on when the plugin-container.exe connected; or was it something reoccurring, site notwithstanding?
Ab subabsurda numquid ad veritas. "From the somewhat absurd possibility to reality."
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

GTryder wrote:
L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:I noticed that plugin-container.exe connected to these two addresses:

TCP - 64.211.144.93
UDP - 156.154.70.22

IP address; 64.211.144.93:
OrgName: Global Crossing
OrgID: GBLX
Address: 14605 South 50th Street
City: Phoenix
StateProv: AZ
PostalCode: 85044-6471

IP address; 156.154.70.22:
OrgName: NeuStar, Inc.
OrgID: NEUS
Address: 45980 Center Oak Plaza
Address: Network Operations Center
City: Sterling
StateProv: VA
PostalCode: 20166

Source: ARIN WHOIS Database Search

Is it possible that these addresses are related to the site you were on when the plugin-container.exe connected; or was it something reoccurring, site notwithstanding?

I was watching Pawn Stars on HULU. I can't see how those addresses relate to the videos I was watching. I hope someone can explain the necessity of these outbound connections. I haven't permitted plugin-container.exe to receive any inbound. As mentioned above, HULU won't work without allowing the outbound connections.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.1, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Those addresses aren't really helpful, as they only point to service providers. Without the domain of the request, it's hard to tell who they were actually trying to contact.

My guess is that Huli was attempting to load Ads or other streaming content.

As previously stated, these connections are already allowed when the plugin runs in the Firefox process (since the Firefox process had permissions to make connections). If you want to keep the status-quo, then outbound connections would be enabled for plugin-container process' as well.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Bluefang wrote:Those addresses aren't really helpful, as they only point to service providers. Without the domain of the request, it's hard to tell who they were actually trying to contact.

My guess is that Huli was attempting to load Ads or other streaming content.

As previously stated, these connections are already allowed when the plugin runs in the Firefox process (since the Firefox process had permissions to make connections). If you want to keep the status-quo, then outbound connections would be enabled for plugin-container process' as well.

Thanks. I'll give it a while, but I'm going to keep tabs on the connections. I'm going to allow outbound and block all inbound.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Slides

Post by Slides »

Can anyone please tell me how to enable plugin-container.exe to get access to the internet through my windows 7 firewall? I don't get any prompt, but the videos on hulu.com are not loading anymore. Youtube is fine.

Thanks
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls#Windows_Firewall

You can probably find it by typing 'firewall' in the start menu search box.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
cuz84d

Post by cuz84d »

I left a note on Mozilla's Plugin-container article feedback to update the article about firewall usage.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Wha ... =inproduct
cuz84d

Post by cuz84d »

Bluefang wrote:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls#Windows_Firewall

You can probably find it by typing 'firewall' in the start menu search box.

Also see Mozilla's support article about Internet access/Firewalls:
https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Cannot%20connect%20after%20upgrading%20Firefox