plugin-container.exe internet access

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
satyr

Re: plugin-container.exe internet access

Post by satyr »

Daifne wrote:Edit: No, I also split this one off. They are off topic besides being crossposted. Do not post that again or you will be on your way to a vacation from the forums.

No need to fill the thread with personal messages to me (I mean isn't this more than anything off-topic? And you above all should know that PMs are meant for that), and again, I am not planning to post that again, as mentioned in my PM to you, when I found out that one post has disappeared in one of the threads I simply thought that I've mistakenly posted it in the wrong thread (or that there was an error on forum server's side or smth.), and so I've re-posted it, obviously by mistake.

And again, that post was well-intentioned - only to the benefit of users (e.g. new visitors) that would get one more chance to understand that it's not Firefox's fault if Flash is consuming too much CPU.

P.S. Btw. I've participated in a lot of threads from the year 2004, and until today I really haven't noticed (and debates were about many things that could be considered off-topic, but mods never intervened in such way as you did just now) that you have such strict rules about what's on and what's off-topic!

satyr
If you want to, please check out my site: tadej-ivan.50webs.com, and enjoy reading my computing-related discoveries, hints, principles, and rules.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

In this case, where you were publicly spamming, a public response was appropriate.

You had posted it twice and then twice again. In total, four times. Someone complained, and then Dan and I took action. You are in the wrong.

Post by Guest »

patrickjdempsey wrote:If you are getting a notification to download Flash... it's because the version "you've already got" is no longer current.

There is also a widely reported problem with the Adobe Down Load Manager which can make it seem like you installed the current version of Flash but it never actually installed. Unless you have manually installed Flash from a direct download link in the last few months, then it's still *possible* you have an out-of-date version.

Of course, slow-downs can also be caused by other processes and problems in the OS not related to Firefox at all. It seems like you would be far better served making your own thread asking nicely for assistance in getting your Firefox fixed up than attempting to pick fights with people who have absolutely no control over what happens over at Mozilla, and even less control over how your machine is performing.
As far as I'm aware it is, because I recall an update popping up quite recently.

I have, because this is a stand-in system for the time being that came to me with pretty much nothing. It would be reasonable to assume that it's been inactive for quite a few years, given the number of Windows updates it required and how out of date the installed programs were. So everything (or at least everything that I kept / that presented a problem) has been updated.

I don't require "assistance" at this juncture, thanks all the same. I addressed the issue from about:config. But before doing so, I wanted to read as much as I could about the issue, basically to ensure whether that was the best/only option. In what would've been the last thread I looked at on the subject, someone was at great pains to redirect people to this one, and linked to it several times. I chose to respond because of the nature of some of the posts here, which bluntly refused to even entertain the prospect of the feature having issues and seemed to revel in clubbing people over the head with their superior knowledge (whether real or imagined). If you consider people who don't like being patronised and sneered at to be 'picking fights', then that's your privilege. All it needed was a little acknowledgement that the feature has significant issues. Flash may play a major part, but it's not the only problem. Frankly it's a bit rich to blame it all on something which was there long before, too.

Five or six others from a relatively small online community elsewhere have reported the same issue. None of them are likely to come to somewhere like this to seek a solution - they'll just become disenchanted and switch to a different browser instead. Some of them wouldn't be able to remedy the situation even if they knew how to in fact, because of the way in which they access the internet in the first place. Put that into context across the whole spectrum of Firefox users, and there's going to be a significant number of people who are affected. Ignoring such issues is exactly why the likes of Symantec and Corel saw their reputations plummet. Why should I or others ever even need to contemplate switching to what would be in virtually every regard an inferior browser, after all? Nobody's suggesting that anyone here has "control over what happens over at Mozilla". But they're certainly not going to be influenced into addressing the issue when some seem to be so resolutely determined to deny the problem even exists, either.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Moving to Firefox General since this has nothing to do with Support anymore. If you want to continue this you will need to register.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Seriously? Three pages of complaining about the quality of help given by people who you have insulted in every post over problems you have said again and again that you don't actually want to fix?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Cypherdude

Post by Cypherdude »

Many users are complaining about Firefox 3.6.x being slower while playing videos or using Flash content in general. These users typically have older systems. After removing the plugin-container.exe process, they report their system has returned to being a faster system pre-FF 3.6.x.

Do not remove the plugin-container.exe process manually through Windows Task Manager. Using simple commands within the Firefox 3.6.x about:config menu, this process can be removed and the Flash plugin content is handled, again, within Firefox. Flash content will no longer be handled externally via the plugin-container.exe process.

If you want to remove the plugin-container.exe process and have FireFox 3.6.x revert to the original way of handling plugins internally, go to this web page for instructions:
http://www.technogadge.com/how-to-stop- ... e-process/
Alice

Post by Alice »

Our KB article has those instructions (with screenshot) plus lots more, including Firefox 4 information.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-container_and_out-of-process_plugins
Alice Wyman