Appearance under Windows 2000

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Budrick

Appearance under Windows 2000

Post by Budrick »

I have a few issues regarding the appearance of Phoenix under Windows 2000. As I am using a nightly build (20021205) rather than a milestone, and the default chrome, this may be subject to change, but I have these issues nonetheless....

1) Form elements. The new(er) look for form elements just doesn't seem to work. I understand that it is the goal of the Phoenix designers to have such objects take on their platform's look-and-feel, but I think they just look _wrong_, especially the buttons, which seem to have taken on the rather messy look of buttons in Internet Exporer.

2) Status bar. The status bar, while again more Windows-like, is again plain unattractive. I can't say exactly why but it just fails to look good.

I suggest giving the user the option of Mozilla-style controls which are rather attractive IMO, or emulating the look-and-feel of the user's platform, if not a return to the original style.

Other than these admittedly minor issues, though, good job! I've been using Phoenix as my main browser since milestone 0.2 and it simply never fails to improve. Thank you, the Phoenix dev team :)
alanjstr

Re: Appearance under Windows 2000

Post by alanjstr »

Budrick wrote:I have a few issues regarding the appearance of Phoenix under Windows 2000. As I am using a nightly build (20021205) rather than a milestone, and the default chrome, this may be subject to change, but I have these issues nonetheless....

1) Form elements. The new(er) look for form elements just doesn't seem to work. I understand that it is the goal of the Phoenix designers to have such objects take on their platform's look-and-feel, but I think they just look _wrong_, especially the buttons, which seem to have taken on the rather messy look of buttons in Internet Exporer.

2) Status bar. The status bar, while again more Windows-like, is again plain unattractive. I can't say exactly why but it just fails to look good.

I suggest giving the user the option of Mozilla-style controls which are rather attractive IMO, or emulating the look-and-feel of the user's platform, if not a return to the original style.

Other than these admittedly minor issues, though, good job! I've been using Phoenix as my main browser since milestone 0.2 and it simply never fails to improve. Thank you, the Phoenix dev team :)

Phoenix still doesn't have it's own theme (Orbit is borrowed). Of course the buttons look like those in IE, where do you think IE gets them? I suggest finding a skin that better suits you. You can also override the "Windows" settings by editing your userChrome.css. There are a few other threads about that, so I won't go into more detail. Try under Themes, too.

The inherited stuff actually comes from check-ins to the Mozilla trunk.