Favicons for Folders in Bookmark toolbar

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Musitektus

yay!

Post by Musitektus »

Thank you all for working through this for me 1 week before I thought myself to try to tackle it, haha. It all works great!

But now... I have a challenge for you all that I have yet to be able to figure out:

How can you change the icon of a subfolder under one of these folders that we edited? (i.e "Fish\Tuna" or "Fish\Mahi Mahi")

I'm not sure why the process would be different for these, but it hasn't worked yet.

~Musitektus
cthu1hu

Post by cthu1hu »

Seems all you need to change all the folder icons at once is this:

Code: Select all

#personal-bookmarks toolbarbutton {list-style-image: url(file:///D:/Internet/folder.ico) !important; -moz-image-region: auto !important;}

#personal-bookmarks toolbarbutton:hover {list-style-image: url(file:///D:/Internet/folder_open.ico) !important; -moz-image-region: auto !important;}

Here's my complete code:

Code: Select all

#personal-bookmarks toolbarbutton {color: #797C7D !important; background: url(file:///D:/Internet/bck2.gif) !important; margin: 0px 3px 1px 0px !important; padding: 0 6px 0 6px !important; -moz-appearance: none !important; -moz-border-radius: 6px !important; border: 1px solid #515455 !important; list-style-image: url(file:///D:/Internet/folders.ico) !important; -moz-image-region: auto !important;}

#personal-bookmarks toolbarbutton:hover {color: #9FA2A3 !important; background-color: #424546 !important; border: 1px solid #515455 !important; list-style-image: url(file:///D:/Internet/folders_open.ico) !important; -moz-image-region: auto !important;}

#personal-bookmarks .toolbarbutton-icon {margin: -4px -1px -5px -5px !important}

And here's the result:

jones.zipp

icon folder

Post by jones.zipp »

pls delete this post thx
ericwilmoth

Re: Favicons for Folders in Bookmark toolbar

Post by ericwilmoth »

Hello. I have read and re-read these posts several times...investigated the nature of userChrome.css in a variety of other places (including to confirm it's still being used in Firefox 3), checked/tested my code countless ways and for whatever reason i cannot seem to evoke any changes in firefox by making these (or any other style changes) to the userChrome.css file.

I have no idea what the F@<! I'm doing wrong, so if someone could help out i'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's how i have my code entered, with the favicon.ico file in my chrome folder:

/* Change Bookmark Toolbar Folder Icons */
#personal-bookmarks toolbarbutton[label="cow"] {padding: 3px 3px 3px 3px !important;}
#personal-bookmarks toolbarbutton[label="cow"] .toolbarbutton-icon {display: block !important; list-style-image: url("favicon.ico") !important; -moz-image-region: auto !important; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px !important;}
#personal-bookmarks toolbarbutton[label="cow"] .toolbarbutton-text {display: none !important;}

<<<<<<<<<<<<Edit>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Ok--this both upsets me and makes me happy. It turns out the whole time i was messing with this i was editing a userChrome.css, but not the correct one. Apparently the profile firefox is using isn't the one that i get to through my program files, etc. etc., but rather one through C:\Documents and Settings\comp\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ ------AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Now it's working...but it's so frustrating that it took me basically four hours to discover the problem...especially since i searched my hard drive for the userChrome.css file and it only came back with the one through my program files. How does that work?

Anyway, maybe if anyone else runs into a similar problem this will save them the trouble.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<End Edit>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
bocahinternet

Post by bocahinternet »

forgive...but that is still confusing for me... ](*,)
i have to read more carefully.... :-k

Post by Frank Lion »

ericwilmoth wrote:.... and it only came back with the one through my program files. How does that work?

The M$ Windows Operating System has 'Hidden Files & Folders' enabled by default. The Applications Data folder is ...hidden.

Next time, to save you time, try the Knowledge Base Search link on the right. >>>>
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ericwilmoth

Post by ericwilmoth »

Frank Lion wrote:The M$ Windows Operating System has 'Hidden Files & Folders' enabled by default. The Applications Data folder is ...hidden.

Yeah, silly me--i figured that out after posting.

Next time, to save you time, try the Knowledge Base Search link on the right. >>>>

Thanks--i'll give that a try in the future.