New 0.5 download links

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Ric Fischer

New 0.5 download links

Post by Ric Fischer »

The release notes page changed today to offer downloads for the Linux and Windows 0.5 releases. Unfortunately, the links are dead. The links refer to a /pub/phoenix/releases/0.5 directory which doesn't exist. Did somebody forget?
Ric Fischer
Stefan

Re: New 0.5 download links

Post by Stefan »

Ric Fischer wrote:The release notes page changed today to offer downloads for the Linux and Windows 0.5 releases. Unfortunately, the links are dead. The links refer to a /pub/phoenix/releases/0.5 directory which doesn't exist. Did somebody forget?

This usually happens a few days before a new milestone is released.
Guess we will find out the new name for the browser formerly known as Phoenix real soon :)
flii

Post by flii »

Stefan wrote:This usually happens a few days before a new milestone is released. Guess we will find out the new name for the browser formerly known as Phoenix real soon :)

dang, i hope so. i think more than one of the names i've seen would be ok, and others i've seen that are popular suck i think. getting the suspense over with asap would be great. that way i can rejoice or be depressed and then get on to other things, like my new theme-my-browser project. :) very fun.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

I wouldn't necessarily expect a new name for 0.5. Read answers 14 and 15 of the FAQ at the end of the page...
Patrick Verner

Post by Patrick Verner »

Does anybody know where to mail in the money for the legal battle? I'm all for buying cool stuff.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Ric Fischer wrote:The release notes page changed today to offer downloads for the Linux and Windows 0.5 releases. Unfortunately, the links are dead. The links refer to a /pub/phoenix/releases/0.5 directory which doesn't exist. Did somebody forget?

There are still 3 bugs open before 0.5 is released.

Oops, missed a "0.4" in the release notes.

"Talkback builds are not available for 0.4."

And the only reference to http://texturizer.net/phoenix/ was for skins.
trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

Uhh wow, they want to keep the Phoenix name for 0.5? It's good if they want to keep it, at least for this version, the version we have all been waiting for. Maybe the download links won't work until they decide on a name?
seb

Post by seb »

They won't work until Phoenix 0.5 is available. It's that simple.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Pffft, hahahaha

I kept hearing that you were changing the name from Phoenix to something else. What happened?

That was just a giant publicity stunt. We've observed that in the past, the open-source community has instinctively favored David when big corporations complain of trademark infringement. We wanted to cash in on this sympathy by asking the community to send us money to fight the legal battle (obviously we'd really spend it on cool stuff), but with all the taxing issues and whatnot we decided to can the idea.

Uhhhh...really?

No, not really. This isn't like an action flick where the evil madman reveals the intricacies of his plans to hostages and then leaves them alone with a bomb set to detonate in like 10 hours. When we're ripping you off, we won't explain how in the FAQ. The truth is that we'd already had this 0.5 released planned for awhile, so it was okay to release under the Phoenix name. But under no circumstances will any future release be called Phoenix.
trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

hmm it seems that it has been taken down.
ehume

Post by ehume »

laszlo wrote: . . . Read answers 14 and 15 of the FAQ at the end of the page...

Hmmm. Looks like they took down answer 15. The FAQ's stop at 14 at 2002-12-07-1524GMT.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Apollo wrote:Pffft, hahahaha

ROFL :D
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

ehume wrote:
laszlo wrote: . . . Read answers 14 and 15 of the FAQ at the end of the page...

Hmmm. Looks like they took down answer 15. The FAQ's stop at 14 at 2002-12-07-1524GMT.

They took another answer out, so this would have to read "13 and 14" now.