Trouble connecting to only one webcam that requires Java?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Aero312

Trouble connecting to only one webcam that requires Java?

Post by Aero312 »

Running Windows XP Home edition, Internet Browser is Firefox

I'm trying to connect to a webpage that has a cam requiring Java http://www.cnyclive.com/ . After I updated Java (latest v.6 update 22) I can't connect to the webcam anymore. I tried emptying the cache for Java, but it didn't work. I know I can connect to other webcams that require Java. When I try connecting to the problematic site, it appears Java loads and waits for the cam, but it just hangs. If I click off the page, my browser (Firefox) also hangs and won't close. If I end the process on Firefox, Java still runs until I end it manually.

I tested the Java installation at the Java website and its says installed successfully.
Anonymosity

Re: Trouble connecting to only one webcam that requires Java

Post by Anonymosity »

I cannot get that cam to work with Firefox on either Mac OS or Windows. With Mac Firefox and Safari, the camera immediately disconnects, and with Windows it tries to download a .mov file, and does not do anything else. I was able to get it to work with Windows Opera. Mac OS Opera does not enable Java with Mac OS 10.4.
Aero312

Post by Aero312 »

Is it likely then that the webpage changed configuration somehow? I find it bizarre that I am connecting to other webcams that require Java with no problems, even the cams that you can control. Even more weird is that there's a chat on the same webpage that I can connect to, and I asked if the cam was down. Someone left a reply saying it looks fine.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I guess it works fine if you use Opera (on Leopard or later for Mac). I can access the Mt. St. Helens webcam with no problem with any of my browsers (except Mac Opera), and it uses Java.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

I know its not much help but using test builds that will one day become Firefox 4.0 - I have no problems with cam. The site does want to install QuickTime, but Apple products will never touch my system.

If you have QT installed, is it possible it did its usual trick of stealing permissions for mime-types maybe ?
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

That cam is using Java. Opera seems to be fetching a series of .gif images from the cam using a Java applet. With any of the browsers I use other than Windows Opera, I see "disconnected" appear in the window shortly after the "connected" message.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

FWIW... I visited that site and did not see any web-cam...but I did see at the top that JavaScript was required... I use NoScript and as soon as I allowed the script to pass for the main site "www.cnyclive.com" the web-cam appeared.... and then in order to change the location settings I had to click on the "Start Control" button which allowed me to move around to the various locations. Plus there's the normal FF line at the top informing me that a Plugin is required "Install missing plugins" but as Littlemutt noted... I don't want QT (and I'll assume that that's the plugin waiting for install) installed on this PC.

So, in summary... by allowing the script to be activated all worked well without installing the plugin.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Aero312

Post by Aero312 »

I installed NoScript and tried to do the same thing. I got the same message that java was required, allowed the script through NoScript tool bar, but there's still no cam for me. I used to get the screen that said Java was loading. Now it just stays white, then in a few minutes turns black. I was wondering if Adblock Plus was blocking it, but I don't think so because I still have the option available to block it.

So then, why would I suddenly need to have the script activated (could it have been from updating Java?), and how else can I do this?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Hmm, It works fine here with ABP and Easy List. (Not using NS).......But wouldn't at work with IE 7?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

peterk312 wrote:I installed NoScript and tried to do the same thing. I got the same message that java was required, allowed the script through NoScript tool bar, but there's still no cam for me. I used to get the screen that said Java was loading. Now it just stays white, then in a few minutes turns black. I was wondering if Adblock Plus was blocking it, but I don't think so because I still have the option available to block it.

So then, why would I suddenly need to have the script activated (could it have been from updating Java?), and how else can I do this?

JavaScript is not the same as "JAVA".... and it gets confusing to users.

I mentioned in my post that I had to allow a javascript to be enabled (because I use NoScript) and that was just for clarification of the steps I took... if you didn't have NoScript installed before (and you don't want to ever block any scripts) then you don't need it...without it... all "JavaScripts" should activate (assuming that you have it enabled in your Firefox options).

Anyway, one of the things that "JAVA" (not JavaScript) recommends is that you should not be "updating" JAVA but should uninstall it first from your comp. and then install the latest version... for a clean install concept so you might want to try that.
James

Post by James »

Aero312

Post by Aero312 »

Just did a clean reinstall of latest version of JAVA. Even ran JavaRa beforehand. Install verified by Java website. It did absolutely nothing to fix the cam for me, but at least I got rid of 3 old Java updates.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Though I may not have anything to do with your problem but I just noticed that you have a "( )" a the end of your Useragent. Useragent info interacts with a site so that the site knows which browser you're using so that it knows how to present info... among other things.

You might want to do this and then see what happens at that site...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Resetting_you ... in_default

Also, try going to that site while FF in running in safe-mode...
This is only for Firefox safe-mode...Don't check off any of it's safe-mode boxes...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode

You posted that your FF also hangs on close so that could indicate that you have something else going on in your system and/or FF other than a JAVA problem.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs

One last thing to test with... create a new test profile... make no changes to it and then see what happens with that link...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
Aero312

Post by Aero312 »

Thanks to all but I finally fixed it (unless it started to work on its own and this is a coincidence). On my modem's firewall settings I had to allow outbound "all remaining services/ ports" and it started to work. I don't get it though. The webpage is using an obscure port? Shouldn't I only need http to connect to this Internet webcam? (again here: http://www.cnyclive.com/ )
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Note my above post about your useragent....