Noooo!!!!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
WinterWolf

Noooo!!!!

Post by WinterWolf »

Pheonix is wonderful yet, some of the things you dumbed down make it worse! Specifically the Bookmark Manager. You screwed up one of my favorite features, the bookmark searching.

I like the fact that you put the search bookmarks abr right at the top, but I HATE what you did to it. You should of left the features like they were.

Here's how to please everyone:

Take out Find and replace it with the first dropdown menu (name, location, keyword, description{with name as default}) in mozilla's bookmark search dialog and than make another dropdown menu like in mozilla which includes the other features (contains, starts with, ends with, is, is not, doesn't contain) and than leave a space for user input liek you did now. When the user presses enter, ask him if he wants to save the query. (Saving queries rocks, I saved a "name contains linux" search and now everytime I add another bookmark about Linux it gets added to the folder with my old search query. Really cool.

Please do this, nobody needs an entire search bar to write a name anyway. This functionality is really needed.

Furthermore, the text zoom in Pheonix sucks! I don't even know if it is original size. Please do it like this

In the view menu, make a "text size" entry which expands to reveal "Larger Ctrl ++", "smaller Ctrl +-", " "Original Text Size", and most importantly "Other" which would bring up a dialog where you can write down the text zoom you want like in Mozilla. At least do this, please.

Also, on the right of my address bar there is a small form which allows me to search the web or the page I'm on. I think the find on this page doesn't need to be there, it's a waste of space since you can just press Ctrl-f and have a better find on this page dialog. I also don't know how to add or remove search engines. I only want google.

Second to last, the way sidebars now work sucks. It should work like in Mozilla , I open the sidebar and I can click on History to view history, and fro the same sidebar view bookmarks by clicking it. In pheonix I ahve to go to the menu and click each one, it sooo much slower and it take sonly slightly more space to improve it. (also for some reason finished downloads ahvea progress abr with nothing in it.)

Lastly, I want to remove the orange M button, how do I do this?

THESE ARE ALL MY RANTS, I HOPE YOU TAKE THEM INTO CONSIDERATION, EVERYTHING ESLE SIG REAT, EXCEPT LINUX INTEGRATION WHICH NEEDS A LOT OF WORK!

I noticed you guys are really trying to copy explorer in almsot everything, sidebar etc., but you should really look at how others do it, MS doesen't always do it the best way.

Thanks.

(BTW, when i right click on a folder in my personal toolbar folder and click manage, the find thing totally disappears! I think this is a bug.)
Last edited by WinterWolf on December 7th, 2002, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blake

Post by Blake »

Good point about bringing back the bookmarks save query functionality. Please file a bug on Phoenix/Bookmarks and target it to 0.6.
Zaphod

Re: Noooo!!!!

Post by Zaphod »

WinterWolf wrote:Furthermore, the text zoom in Pheonix sucks! I don't even know if it is original size. Please do it like this

Who needs 'orginal size'? Choose the text size you like and be happy.

Second to last, on the right of my address bar there is a small form which allows me to search the web or the page I'm on. I think the find on this page doesn't need to be there, it's a waste of space since you can just press Ctrl-f and have a better find on this page dialog. I also don't know how to add or remove search engines. I only want google.

Instead of using CTR+F (or the 'Search in page' field) you can try 'Type Ahead'. IMHO this is much easier to use.

Lastly, I want to remove the orange M button, how do I do this?

Just go to 'View' > 'Toolbars' > 'Customize" and drag the throbber away.
WinterWolf

I added a few more things to my first post

Post by WinterWolf »

Thanks for the tip on customizing, I expected it to work like folders do, jsut right click and delete. The customizing thing is great, much much better than in mozilla IMO.

I found out Ctrl 0 brings origianl size, but how should I know that. And it's also pretty slow always clicking increase font size, and than to get back to a normal font decrease font size anotehr 3 times. I really need that "other" feature to just damn specify the zoom.
Last edited by WinterWolf on December 7th, 2002, 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
laszlo

Re: Noooo!!!!

Post by laszlo »

WinterWolf wrote:Furthermore, the text zoom in Pheonix sucks! I don't even know if it is original size.

Ctrl+0 (Zero) always brings you back to 100%.
djst

Post by djst »

Blake wrote:Good point about bringing back the bookmarks save query functionality. Please file a bug on Phoenix/Bookmarks and target it to 0.6.

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=184166
Stefan

Re: I added a few more things to my first post

Post by Stefan »

WinterWolf wrote:I found out Ctrl 0 brings origianl size, but how should I know that.

This is a good place to start :)
http://texturizer.net/phoenix/keyboard.html
Blake

Post by Blake »

djst wrote:
Blake wrote:Good point about bringing back the bookmarks save query functionality. Please file a bug on Phoenix/Bookmarks and target it to 0.6.

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=184166

Thanks David.
WinterWolf

Thanks for listening

Post by WinterWolf »

I have one more suggestion, which i just found out.

Hisstory in Mozilla works the same way as the bookmark manager, you can do searches by many varaibles like in Mozilla's bookmark mnager and History (Ctrl -h.

On pheonix all I can do issearch by name. THis is really week, just like in the bookmark manager. Please make find become a clickable button and than when clicked it could give all the options like in mozilla, the 2 drop down menus and save query funxtionality. It would n't bother anybody, it wouldn't take up more space, it's the best way!

Please Ir eally need the features I mentioned in my original post here. You are very able developers and I know you can bring them back in a user friendly matter.

I also really think that using the sidebar like IE does is eally bad, I have toa lways go in teh menu and view sidebar or use shortcuts which I need to remember. Mozilla allowed me to easily click another heading in the sidebar and got oa nother tab, it also allowed me to customize the tab. Plese take my suggestions.
WinterWolf

Will these 2 excellent features be back?

Post by WinterWolf »

The search bar in the bookmarks should work as a quick search like in Netscape and teh full fledged one could be acessed froma shortcut or menu.
johnKFT

Post by johnKFT »

Am I missing something? Ctrl - reduces the font size; Ctrl + increases it. If you drag Bookmarks, History and Downloads icons from the customize toolbar menu onto the toolbar then clicking on them calls up the relevant sidebar straight off. I put them all together on the left so they are immediately above where the sidebar will appear.