Popup blocking

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Budrick

Popup blocking

Post by Budrick »

I don't know if this has been carried over into the official 0.5 release (this is in the nightly with Gecko/20021207), but the popup-blocking code appears to have been changed - rather than only blocking popups that appear on page loading, now all popup windows are blocked.

Am I the only person who doesn't like this way of working? I was so impressed with Phoenix because the original way of working was so much more fluid than the new method, and was among the main reasons I switched from using Opera to Phoenix regularly. I visit a number of sites that require the "legitimate" use of popup windows, which only pop up when links are clicked and execute Javascript code, and having to explicitly allow these sites to open ANY popup windows at all is not a nice way of working.

Is it possible to at least have the option to choose either way of working? Or is the option already there but well hidden?

I know I've been pretty much entirely negative in my posts so far, but until now I've had no real problems with the way Phoenix has been turning out.
flii

Post by flii »

this prob won't fix your problem, but you can specify sites to allow popups to appear on in tools -> preferences -> advanced. hopefully that will help a lil bit.
Budrick

Post by Budrick »

Yes, I do realise that, thanks for replying though.

The problem is that that opens the way for the site to open OnLoad popups, which I really don't want. I'd just be very happy if the original way of working was restored. If you don't see what I mean, use a nightly from round about mid-november, and do some experimenting.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

This has always worked for me (with nightly builds since around Phoenix 0.2); you might be experiencing some side-effects of extensions like TBE that are known to cause problems like this from time to time. Do you have any of them installed?
Budrick

Post by Budrick »

Nope, no extensions installed whatsoever. I've installed a couple of themes, but I can't see those affecting browser operations at that level...
priior

Post by priior »

Budrick:
would u happen to have a url of a site where it doesnt work for you? Cuz javascript popups load in a separate tab for me with no apparent issues. (ive told TBE to handle new pages that way)
Budrick

Post by Budrick »

*winces*

It does work, it seems....I've been a bit out of it today, and installed two nightlies inside 24 hours - I must not have tried the sites after installing the latest one.

Apologies for my foolishness :)