firefox 4 slow?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Re: firefox 4 slow?

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Wildman,
viewtopic.php?p=10593911#p10593911

4th post in this thread. Correct advice. Take it. If you still have problems, tell us exactly what happened. If you're nice, maybe someone will hold your hand.

I'm signing off on this one now. Time's up.
thewildman

Post by thewildman »

Simple, for some folk the version 4 is slow an nothing they do appears to help. All I was asking is for you folk to admit that an suggest individuals revert back to the version 3 series. I needed nothing more complicated than that. I have used these machines long enough to know that this sort of thing happens an it usually can be an issue of incompatibility with the software especially in the case of older computers an the amount of RAM wanted. Trying to fix this sort of thing on an older system can be nothing more than an exercise in futility. Mozilla apparently going this route is upstaging to a good many of us an that you need to understand an acknowledge. Now if this post upsets anyone, well there is nothing I can say.

Thanks
thewildman
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What do you expect the CEO of Mozilla to come here and say Mea Culpa? I test Firefox on low end machines so I damned well know a fair bit more than some about how it behaves on those machines and the answer is it's runs well until you get down to very very low end machines that have barely enough system resources to run XP properly.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
vasa1

Post by vasa1 »

Do try and use conventional language. Your novel use of "an" just distracts from the topic.

Mozilla is most certainly not going the MS way of supporting only the latest and greatest.
Erunno

Post by Erunno »

For some reason Firefox 4 indeed feels way slower on lower end machines than its predecessor. I upgraded it from 3.6 to 4.0 on my better half's six year old desktop with the end result that she dropped it for good and switched to Chrome completely. The difference is really like night and day, Firefox 4 just feels extremely sluggish while Chrome runs perfectly fine despite my best efforts getting Firefox into an acceptable state (created a new profile, disabled/updated plugins, weeded out unused extensions, updated drivers, etc.).
The previous signature has been removed again. Enjoy your month off, Erunno.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

thewildman wrote:Trying to fix this sort of thing on an older system can be nothing more than an exercise in futility.

At the moment I'm running it under XP on a Pentium III 930 MHz with 384 MB RAM. I usually run it (several hours a day) on a 660 MHz Pentium, same RAM. It runs just as well as any previous version. No, actually better than some of the old versions.

There's no way I am going to recommend that someone revert to an older version that will be discontinued.
thewildman

Post by thewildman »

Okay seeing as how some of you claim to be so dang knowledgeable tell all of us why so menay negative posts about version 4. Yes eventually version 3 will no longer be supported, but hopefully by then version 5 will be available an let's hope a hell of a lot better than this 4 hunk of junk. If this does not come about there is IE to fall back on.

Thanks
thewildman
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Do go on....it's fascinating.

#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

thewildman wrote:Okay seeing as how some of you claim to be so dang knowledgeable tell all of us why so menay negative posts about version 4.

Oh, that's an easy one. This is a support forum. Most people who post here are seeking support, so some folks see the large number of posts and take it as a negative. On the other hand, since most of the folks who come looking for support leave with a satisfactory solution, we tend to take that as a positive.

To misquote Abe Lincoln, "You can satisfy some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not satisfy all of the people all of the time."
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

And to paraphrase Ron White, you can't fix stupid.
thewildman

Post by thewildman »

"Oh, that's an easy one. This is a support forum. Most people who post here are seeking support,"

If this is the case, folks there are much better place for that sort of thing than this place. Always a good idea to know what advice you are receiving and if it is sound or just smoke being blowed up ones rear. If version 4 is so dang good, why should anyone have to post in the first place? As one can plainly see they on this forum refuse to acknowledge that version 4 is apparently flawed. Oh they claim to be a support forum, better to get support from Mozilla.

Thanks
thewildman
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

thewildman wrote:If version 4 is so dang good, why should anyone have to post in the first place?

Even "if" Firefox was "perfect", and I doubt you'll find regulars here saying that, someone somewhere would have a problem.

Do you actually want help? Or do you just want to continue stirring the pot?

Firefox 4 is not perfect. Firefox 3, 2, 1, and 1-pre were not perfect. Chrome, IE, Safari and Opera are not perfect.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
James

Post by James »

thewildman wrote:"Oh, that's an easy one. This is a support forum. Most people who post here are seeking support,"

If this is the case, folks there are much better place for that sort of thing than this place. Always a good idea to know what advice you are receiving and if it is sound or just smoke being blowed up ones rear. If version 4 is so dang good, why should anyone have to post in the first place? As one can plainly see they on this forum refuse to acknowledge that version 4 is apparently flawed. Oh they claim to be a support forum, better to get support from Mozilla.

Thanks
thewildman

If you mean Support.mozilla.com/questions then that is not better, if anything it is harder to get support there due to forum software in use.

I take it you never been on this forum for past Major releases have you? as it always spike with activity for a time after each Major release (including the 3.6 you think is so much better). Each Major Firefox release seems to be the worst one yet due to numbers of posts as people come here asking for help on a variety of little to big things after each such release. People do not come here that often to say "Great job Mozilla, best release yet" because they have other things to do.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

thewildman, have you tried the Mozilla support site? Do you realize that the help there is also from volunteers who have no specific training?

thewildman wrote:If version 4 is so dang good, why should anyone have to post in the first place?

Because there are users who don't mind learning enough about the software to work out how to do things on their own, whether that is how to solve a problem or just how to find certain functionality. There are also users who don't want to do that. The latter seek out support sites to get advice from the former, who know more about the software than they do.

If you know more than any of us here we won't be able to help you so you should feel free to leave whenever you want to.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

smsmith wrote:Do you actually want help? Or do you just want to continue stirring the pot?

Well done, Sean, let no one around here accuse the mods of being slow on the uptake!

Let's see, this latest cretin has now done 18 troll posts covering 5 whole pages. 2 pages here and 3 on this thread and has not once asked for help. What does the guy have to do to actually convince you he's stirring the pot, whack you upside the head with it?

Word up, Sean, they don't want help, they want attention. Like this one thought he did - viewtopic.php?p=10728521#p10728521
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)