firefox 4 slow?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Frank Lion

Re: firefox 4 slow?

Post by Frank Lion »

thewildman wrote:Oh by the way I use the Webster's dictionary not the Oxford/Cambridge one.

Good for you, now go and learn how to use commas.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

thewildman wrote:Oh by the way I use the Webster's dictionary not the Oxford/Cambridge one.

Using a dictionary is no substitute for using a brain ;)
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

With all due respect,
i do believe we've swayed from the subject matter...

Not only has initial tip here been good for Firefox 4,
i find it does a good job for Firefox 5 too!

BTW, thanks to all devs for a super browser!
It doesn't mean that i don't try out the other ones.
I just keep coming back to Firefox, the most configurable with the best forum (Mozillazine of course!) to find good and solid tips. Yes! :)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

DaComboMan wrote:Probably did more than Start Faster extension:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... upservice/

DaCombo, it's really not a good idea to add extensions to try to solve problems that may have been caused by extensions. To troubleshoot, you remove extensions, you don't add them. Glad you got some things fixed, though. :)
James

Post by James »

thewildman wrote:Time will tell, but if Firefox keeps going in the direction it is currently on, I would not be surprised to see it fall by the wayside.

People came here claiming that Firefox was failing and will be gone soon enough over the years and instead it has only gotten stronger.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

You're right VanillaMozilla.

Actually, i wasn't really finding Firefox to be any slower than usual.
It's just that i had read about the start faster extension and decided to see what it could do (nothing worth mentioning).

Then i came upon that "options/advanced/disable use hardware acceleration" tip and it's been doing good.
thewildman

Post by thewildman »

I love it, been told to use commas, been told to use a brain, but haven't been told how to get a hunk of junk browser to work. Gee do you think perhaps all they know to do is run their mouths an claim to be experts in the use of Firefox. Oh yea how about banning the person who insulted me for three days? Also the main point of any communication is for the person reading it to understand it. Some of you are not very good at that.

Thanks
thewildman
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

thewildman wrote:I love it, been told to use commas, been told to use a brain, but haven't been told how to get a hunk of junk browser to work. Gee do you think perhaps all they know to do is run their mouths an claim to be experts in the use of Firefox. Oh yea how about banning the person who insulted me for three days? Also the main point of any communication is for the person reading it to understand it. Some of you are not very good at that.

Thanks
thewildman

Post a query and you might get an answer. (or not, because we may not be able to diagnose or fix your problem, but we'll try). Post a rant and you'll get a rant right back.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

thewildman: April 16 2011 wrote:"Ummm this sounds like a hassle! "

That's his answer.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

How to ask questions the smart way
If you can't be bothered to try the very good advice that has been given and ask questions if you run into problems, then there's not much we can do for you.

We can discuss your anguish or we can provide support. Your choice, but time's almost up.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on May 13th, 2011, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It's rather difficult to tell someone how to fix something when we don't see any sign of it being broken. Why do you persist in posting here, wildman, if you aren't happy with Firefox? Use another browser and be done with it.
eti

Post by eti »

Firefox 4 was very slow to me.
I could not check what add-on was causing the problem, because my add-on list was completely blank (even though a lot of add-ons were still installed)
I decided to go back to 3.6, which still works perfectly...

If I ever try it again, I did notice I will have a lot of issues to crack. First of all, I'll need to find out how to make the add-on list visible. Then I'll need to figure out how to get rid of the text labels in the bookmark toolbar and in the tabs. I will have to figure out why there are empty tabs sitting on my tab bar that I can't click and that won't go away...

Or maybe I'll use 3.6 until version 5 is released!
thewildman

Post by thewildman »

Why don't you admit that some people are experiencing slowness with the version 4 series of Firefox and that you do not have a salutation. I don't recall anyone asking what type of machine I have or what operating system I'm running, all I recall is people thinking one fix fits all, an that was add-ons an the profile. If you are going to run an advice forum at least give accurate an relevant advice. I have some computer knowledge an knew that what I was receiving was not germane to my system. I also know that some may believe your advice an wind up worse than before they received it. I have gone back to version 3.6.17 witch is working fine for my O/S. This is the advice I should have received from you folks. Yes I will indeed rile against bad advice an the site from witch it comes plus the software that does not indicate that it does not work well with certain O/S's. Okay this is now my say. I fully expect to receive snide an juvenile replies to this thread.

Thanks
thewildman
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

You still appear to have search toolbar and your spell checker is still broken
Last edited by malliz on May 13th, 2011, 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.