firefox 4 slow?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Frank Lion

Re: firefox 4 slow?

Post by Frank Lion »

gudulkaman wrote:... who would want to show those backing out?

Err, weren't you the guy who was so concerned about your Firefox 4 running slow? What you think this place is, 'The Oscar Wilde Debating Society'?

So, you now want to discuss 'who would want to show those backing out', instead? How about every single browser market share website on the Net, that shows that Firefox marketshare in the last year is either static or very slightly increased. This means that any increase in marketshare by Chrome or Safari has been taken from Internet Explorer. Therefore, there is no evidence of existing Firefox users backing out of anything.

I suggest you return to the thread topic or the thread will be locked, your choice.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
gudulkaman

Post by gudulkaman »

yes, i did have the Alexa toolbar enabled. how did you know?
i have since disabled it, but have not tried FF4 as i wanted to
see what kind of replies come my way.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

gudulkaman wrote:yes, i did have the Alexa toolbar enabled. how did you know?

It's still in your user agent string, visible below your posts in the forum.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

gudulkaman wrote:yes, i did have the Alexa toolbar enabled. how did you know?

If you actually have any desire to get 4.0 working correctly, i.e., fast; Uninstall/Remove/Delete/Nuke/get rid of (not disable) that Toolbar first, it's prossible it's not compatible with the new FF version.
If that doesn't work, there's been plenty of good advice, on steps to take, given here^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Assuming you have the time....
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

This has helped me plenty!

Options/advanced/general and disabled "use hardware acceleration when available". Big difference! ;)

Probably did more than Start Faster extension:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... upservice/
Last edited by DaComboMan on March 26th, 2011, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Have you installed Win7 SP1 and all of the updates available after that? Startup times are fine after those updates for me with hardware acceleration enabled.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

@KWierso, yippers! Have Windows 7 Home Ed. with SP1 but this tip really made a huge difference.

Guess you have to try it to know if it's good for your system or not.
noox

Post by noox »

I have to admit that I do not know how firefox addons are implemented. But isn't it possible to add some monitoring? A debug mode where times or even memory allocation is monitored whenever addon code is executed.

Because add-on activation an deactivation is quite time consuming. I had problems with 3.x. Tried to deactivate addons. Finally the reason was places.sqlite which had some 100 MB, because it was full of favicons(!). After I removed a lot of entries of this database firefox was much faster and needed far less memory. Problems where not completely gone, but it was acceptable.

Now with Firefox 4.0 the same again. Memory usage up to 1 GB, 40-50% CPU, often already after a relatively short time using it. Often it becomes unresponsive.

Isn't it possible to monitor addons?
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Not really. They overlay directly into the browser itself, so it's the browser doing everything.

Eventually, the addon SDK will let those addons be run out of process, so they can be judged.
thewildman

Post by thewildman »

I removed all but two add-ons, I revamped the profile an installed version 4.1. With having done all this Firefox is still slow, A once good WEB Browser now appears to have gone to hell in a hand basket. GET IT TOGETHER MOZILLA. Fire the whole damn lot of your programers because they sure screwed up this version.

Thanks
thewildman
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Okay. I'll get right on that.
vasa1

Post by vasa1 »

KWierso wrote:Okay. I'll get right on that.

Or Bigfoot will get ya.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

thewildman wrote:I removed all but two add-ons...

... Fire the whole damn lot of your programers because they sure screwed up this version.

How about we just fire you instead. You've had three weeks to achieve what everyone else here already has...a fast browser....and you've still failed.

Btw ... 'programmers'.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
James

Post by James »

thewildman wrote:I removed all but two add-ons, I revamped the profile an installed version 4.0.1. With having done all this Firefox is still slow, A once good WEB Browser now appears to have gone to hell in a hand basket. GET IT TOGETHER MOZILLA. Fire the whole damn lot of your programers because they sure screwed up this version.

Thanks
thewildman

Maybe you should fire yourself for thinking mozillaZine is Mozilla ;)

Also do you really think firing all or most of the devs is a brilliant idea? as that would set Firefox back for a long time and may not recover.
thewildman

Post by thewildman »

Perhaps this forum should not contain any comments about Firefox seeing as how it apparently has nothing to do with Mozilla. As for firing me, nope I now have a mission an that is to show folks with any intelligence just how far out of touch you zealots are. Time will tell, but if Firefox keeps going in the direction it is currently on, I would not be surprised to see it fall by the wayside. From the comments contained in just this thread alone I sort of think some may agree. Oh by the way I use the Webster's dictionary not the Oxford/Cambridge one.

Thanks
thewildman