What happened to.....

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Ronman189

What happened to.....

Post by Ronman189 »

The "Save and Quit" feature when you were closing the browser with multiple windows open?
DanRaisch

Re: What happened to.....

Post by DanRaisch »

Try Tools->Options->General->When Firefox Starts->select "Show my tabs and windows from last time".
Ronman189

Post by Ronman189 »

I am using Firefox 4. Where did the "Tools" selection go?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you clicked on the "Firefox" button?
Ronman189

Post by Ronman189 »

Yes, I have. What am I missing?
Ronman189

Post by Ronman189 »

I found a similar setting under options, but not really the same as "save and quit."
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Firefox 4.0 automatically saves the last session, you need to change that "Show my tabs and windows from last time" pref to have Firefox automatically load the previous session on startup.

Or, you can use the Restore Previous Session on the default about:home homepage or use the History > Restore Previous Session menu item if you use a different homepage than the default.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

That would seem to indicate that even if you clear your history, you are not clearing your sessions. If the previous session locked everything up, there is no way I want to restore it.
Ronman189

Post by Ronman189 »

I don't think it saves your previous session by default. That was exactly why I asked what happened to the "save and quit" option. You can force it to restore your previous session with the change you point out, but I think having the option upon closing to save or not was a much nicer feature and I am sorry they eliminated it with this version.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Try this extension... it works for my test FF4.0 ... there may be other ways, but this works for now.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2324
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
wmarcello

Post by wmarcello »

Anonymosity wrote:That would seem to indicate that even if you clear your history, you are not clearing your sessions. If the previous session locked everything up, there is no way I want to restore it.

I have Fx set to clear my history on exit, and it makes it impossible to restore my previous session on the next startup.
wmarcello

Post by wmarcello »

Ronman189 wrote:The "Save and Quit" feature when you were closing the browser with multiple windows open?

As the-edmeister mentioned, Firefox now saves your last session automatically (as long as you haven't set it to clear your history on browser exit). That makes the "Save and Quit" option somewhat redundant because you can now always restore your previous session if you want.

To restore your previous session when you open up your browser, simply click on the Firefox button, hover over the History entry, and then select Restore Previous Session.

If you really want that old warning back though, just enter about:config into the address bar, click past the warning, search for browser.showQuitWarning and set it to true.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Yes, the last session is always saved. Unless you explicitly set it to be erased. But it doesn't come back automatically. It is one of many "invisible" features that you can bring it back if you want. Luckily with the config tweaks shown here you should be able to get back to exactly 3.6 behaviour if you want, or anything in between that works for you.