what's wrong with this page?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
T-DoG

Post by T-DoG »

Speaking of pages that work in IE and not in Gecko browsers...

http://www.filespree.com/forums/

Does anyone know why Gecko browsers only show a blank screen? It works fine in IE.
d8uv

Re: Because

Post by d8uv »

WinterWolf wrote:That's very exhausting, because the numerous little and not so little bugs in different IE versions related to CSS are nowhere properly documented.

Actually, <a href="http://blooberry.com/indexdot/css/index.html">Index Dot</a> has documented a lot of bugs.
priior

Post by priior »

might be server side (maybe?)

cuz when i change my user agent to MSIE 6.0 (with phoenix) the page shows.

with the gecko user agent.. it's an empty page. <html><body></body></html>
ehume

Post by ehume »

WinterWolf wrote:IE is not trying to enforce good programming and standards.

Is that bad (for MS)? If I were writing a browser for mass consumption, wouldn't I want one that could work with even the most poorly coded page? If my browser will display poorly coded pages and yours will not, won't users prefer my browser?
priior

Post by priior »

ehume:
it's a touchy situation... On one hand standards can;t be developped (or rather enforced) if the browsers keep on supporting bad markup.. on the other hand, it will cost a fortune to companies to fix their already lousy markup...

what do you do?
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

It doesn't cost a fortune to remove a bogus element from a CSS layout. It seems that often the cost implied in making a site standards-complient is blown well out of proportion.

- Chris
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

T-DoG wrote:Speaking of pages that work in IE and not in Gecko browsers...

Does anyone know why Gecko browsers only show a blank screen? It works fine in IE.

I also get a blank screen. I didn't look at the page in another browser, but I guess they're using the phpBB forum software, of which some versions have a bug that sends browsers without "compatible" in their user agent string a "Content-Encoding: gzip" header without actually gzip'ing the content. For more info see bug 184144.
nelius

Post by nelius »

thanks for all the comments... the overflow: auto was the bad one.. and I actually thought that was valid :) See what a small error can do....
T-DoG

Post by T-DoG »

laszlo wrote:
T-DoG wrote:Speaking of pages that work in IE and not in Gecko browsers...

I also get a blank screen. I didn't look at the page in another browser, but I guess they're using the phpBB forum software, of which some versions have a bug that sends browsers without "compatible" in their user agent string a "Content-Encoding: gzip" header without actually gzip'ing the content. For more info see bug 184144.

So is the problem on the server side or is it with Mozilla? Is the gzip encoding in phpBB misconfigured in some way?
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

nelius wrote:thanks for all the comments... the overflow: auto was the bad one.. and I actually thought that was valid :) See what a small error can do....

It's valid, but in your case it has some unfortunate consequences :D
Just leaving it at default works fine so there is no point in using it :)
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

T-DoG wrote:
laszlo wrote:the phpBB forum software, of which some versions have a bug that sends browsers without "compatible" in their user agent string a "Content-Encoding: gzip" header

So is the problem on the server side or is it with Mozilla?

If you read laszlo's post you will be able to answer that yourself :)
T-DoG

Post by T-DoG »

I did read it, Stefan. I thought he meant that it is the server that is not sending gzip encoded content correctly. But the bug filed in Mozilla seems to indicate that changing a hidden preference in Mozilla fixes the problem, and the bug has not be marked as invalid. That's why I am confused.
Orbite

Post by Orbite »

laszlo wrote:So how'd you say how to write and test a page? Write it, then test if it works in IE and if it does it must be OK? Try and error? That's very exhausting, because the numerous little and not so little bugs in different IE versions related to CSS are nowhere properly documented.

Exhausting indeed! Take a look at this Browser archive. IE is not the only browser in the Universe. If you want your site to be compatible with only 10% of the quirks of every browser ever made, you'll become crazy, loose speech and start walking like a monkey, in less than a hour!

It's much more simplier to validate your pages with the W3C Validator and make sure your use standards compliant code.

A good starting point to learn Web Standards is The Web Standards Project
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

Validating pages through W3C is a "must do" for me...
I had a good learning with the official W3C online-html-school...
..::XF::..
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

T-DoG wrote:I did read it, Stefan. I thought he meant that it is the server that is not sending gzip encoded content correctly. But the bug filed in Mozilla seems to indicate that changing a hidden preference in Mozilla fixes the problem, and the bug has not be marked as invalid. That's why I am confused.

OK, I'll try to clarify it a bit.

It's the server that sends the data incorrectly.
The open bug however is about what to do so users don't just sit there infront of a white empty screen, becuse that will make it appear as if Gecko is doing something wrong.