How Important is standards to you?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
bdeonline

Post by bdeonline »

Any member that calls them the member of anything should apply to the rules set forth by that origination. Specialty when they are apart of an organization that creates standards. In reality standards are a great thing but I don?t want to have a group of people that can?t follow there own standards telling me the way things should be. I?ve found Opera to be better a browser at this subject; they are working to be standards compliant but also trying to create a browser that can open every page. Coded correctly or not!
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

bdeonline wrote:Any member that calls them the member of anything should apply to the rules set forth by that origination. Specialty when they are apart of an organization that creates standards.

This is the Devedge pages at netscape.com
It's a section of the netscape site that has been recently remade.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... ype=Inline

This prooves the point I stated many many days ago in this thread (which you continue to ignore) that OLD sites are not remade into valid markup for COST reasons.
However when new sites are done (from scratch) more and more will be done with valid code.
bdeonline

Post by bdeonline »

Speaking of validator's I've found a great feature in Opera 7 beta. You can simply right click on a page and click <b>validate source</b> and It goes to the the W3C html validator.
Orbite

Post by Orbite »

Mozilla.org wrote: MozillaZine is a site devoted to advocacy, news, and special interest topics revolving around the Mozilla Project. The goal of the site is to help stir up interest in the Mozilla project amongst designers and casual users...

bdeonline wrote:I?ve found Opera to be better a browser [than Mozilla/Phoenix]

bdeonline wrote:Any member that calls them the member of anything should apply to the rules set forth by that origination.

Does it mean that you should give up your Mozillazine membership? :wink: I hope not.
Orbite

Post by Orbite »

bdeonline wrote:Speaking of validator's I've found a great feature in Opera 7 beta. You can simply right click on a page and click <b>validate source</b> and It goes to the the W3C html validator.

Drag this <a href="javascript:void(str='http://validator.w3.org/check?uri='%20+%20document.location.href%20+%20'&outline=');if(str){abc123=open(href=str,'');}(abc123.blur());">link</a> to your bookmarks toolbar and you'll get a similar function in Mozilla.
bdeonline

Post by bdeonline »

Very Nice trick. Now this is the way Moz/Phoenix can help in making pages standards compliant. Although not as easy as in Opera. One thing I did find with that script is this page has a lot of errors.
Last edited by bdeonline on November 14th, 2002, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
insin

Post by insin »

Orbite wrote:
bdeonline wrote:Speaking of validator's I've found a great feature in Opera 7 beta. You can simply right click on a page and click <b>validate source</b> and It goes to the the W3C html validator.

Drag this <a href="javascript:void(str='http://validator.w3.org/check?uri='%20+%20document.location.href%20+%20'&outline=');if(str){abc123=open(href=str,'');}(abc123.blur());">link</a> to your bookmarks toolbar and you'll get a similar function in Mozilla.

I like Opera's implementation of this feature better though, especially for testing password protected pages and local pages, as Opera saves the html into it's cache then uploads the cache to the validator, rather than just pointing the validator to the current url.
bdeonline

Post by bdeonline »

This would be a great power user tool. In Phoenix or Mozilla if it could be added.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

bdeonline wrote:Any member that calls them the member of anything should apply to the rules set forth by that origination. Specialty when they are apart of an organization that creates standards. In reality standards are a great thing but I don?t want to have a group of people that can't follow there own standards telling me the way things should be. I?ve found Opera to be better a browser at this subject; they are working to be standards compliant but also trying to create a browser that can open every page. Coded correctly or not!

Phoenix has a quirks mode for when a page won't open with a browser that follows the standard. Of course you'd know that if you weren't just trolling.

- Chris