Can I stop "ask to confirm leaving" pop-up?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
dindog

Can I stop "ask to confirm leaving" pop-up?

Post by dindog »

Firefox pop-up these message in some page, I found it annoying, can I stop it?

This page is asking you to confirm that you want to leave - data you have entered may not be saved.
scream for the fact that we are actually dying when living
Bluefang

Re: Can I stop "ask to confirm leaving" pop-up?

Post by Bluefang »

No you can't disable it. It is the page triggering the pop-up, not Firefox.

Be thankful, this dialog was improved in Firefox 4. Previously, it included text that was specified by the webpage, which often made it very misleading (used as a trap to keep you on questionable sites).
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
dindog

Post by dindog »

Bluefang wrote:No you can't disable it. It is the page triggering the pop-up, not Firefox.

Be thankful, this dialog was improved in Firefox 4. Previously, it included text that was specified by the webpage, which often made it very misleading (used as a trap to keep you on questionable sites).

I know what you mean, but somehow I doubt this one. It's not a javascript pop-up
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

The popup is triggered by assigning a onbeforeunload event handler. The string returned by the handler is shown in the popup. In Firefox 4, it will still trigger the popup if a handler is assigned, it will just ignore the string that is returned.

I have tried various methods (built-in to Firefox) to block this popup but none have worked. You might be able to do it with a Greasemonkey script, but I haven't tried.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
vasa1

Post by vasa1 »

I don't visit a wide variety of sites but Gmail does give me that message sometimes if I try to exit the site immediately after doing something. In this particular case, I don't think there's mala fide intent.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I found that onbeforeunload and onunload commands did things that were just a nuisance, so I blocked them with a local web filtering proxy called BFilter. That way, the command word gets turned into nonsense and Firefox ignores it. I know of no other way to block just those commands.
dindog

Post by dindog »

Bluefang wrote:The popup is triggered by assigning a onbeforeunload event handler. The string returned by the handler is shown in the popup. In Firefox 4, it will still trigger the popup if a handler is assigned, it will just ignore the string that is returned.

I have tried various methods (built-in to Firefox) to block this popup but none have worked. You might be able to do it with a Greasemonkey script, but I haven't tried.

wow, that sounds like a really tricky annoying handler for some people.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

vasa1 wrote:I don't visit a wide variety of sites but Gmail does give me that message sometimes if I try to exit the site immediately after doing something. In this particular case, I don't think there's mala fide intent.

I never said it was only used my malicious sites, just that it often is. That's the reason for the behavior change in Firefox 4.
JSprog

Post by JSprog »

FF4's disabling page text actually caused issue for the JS app I developed for my company's own intranet usage - I have an application that allows user to do knowledge integration on the fly, and they could specify their preferences, then save them to DB altogether. But if someone accidentally tried to refresh/leave page before setting's saved, I do a courtesy popup to remind them exactly where were some items still unsaved. This was very useful, and now FF4 reduced it to a very uninformative dialog. I wish at least there's some settings to allow user to turn off this FF4 "feature". Is there any?
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

No, there is not. A simple solution would the to highlight unsaved fields or to put the message into an element at the top of the page.
1moretime

Post by 1moretime »

Bluefang wrote:I have tried various methods (built-in to Firefox) to block this popup but none have worked. You might be able to do it with a Greasemonkey script, but I haven't tried.

tried below, and seems work.

Code: Select all

(function() {
  window.addEventListener("load", foo, false);

function foo() {
    var u = "beforeunload";
    var v = unsafeWindow;
    if (v._eventTypes && v._eventTypes[u]) {
      var r=v._eventTypes[u];
      for(var s=0;s<r.length;s++) {
        v.removeEventListener(u,r[s],false);
      }
      v._eventTypes[u]=[];
    }
  }

})();
rcampbell100

Post by rcampbell100 »

1moretime wrote:
Bluefang wrote:I have tried various methods (built-in to Firefox) to block this popup but none have worked. You might be able to do it with a Greasemonkey script, but I haven't tried.

tried below, and seems work.

Code: Select all

(function() {
  window.addEventListener("load", foo, false);

function foo() {
    var u = "beforeunload";
    var v = unsafeWindow;
    if (v._eventTypes && v._eventTypes[u]) {
      var r=v._eventTypes[u];
      for(var s=0;s<r.length;s++) {
        v.removeEventListener(u,r[s],false);
      }
      v._eventTypes[u]=[];
    }
  }

})();
What kind of script is it and how to I install it.

Thanks for your help

Roger
kram337

Post by kram337 »

We absolutely need an option to disallow websites to be able to do this. They can spam the question making it impossible to leave their site. Happens too frequently. And yes it only happens when I'm on naughty sites, but so what? Just cause I'm a pervert (like the rest of us) doesn't mean I should have to deal with websites commandeering my experience.