Hopefully helpful hint

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
old Neil Parks

Hopefully helpful hint

Post by old Neil Parks »

For many problems with Phoenix, the most commonly suggested solution is to trash your carefully constructed profile.

However, before you go for the major surgery, try a less radical procedure first: In that same xxxxxx.slt directory where the profile is stored, you'll find a binary file named XUL.MFL .

Exit phoenix, del that binary, and see if it helps. (The file will be recreated when you restart phoenix.)

(Worked for me when something I did wrong--I don't know what--caused phoenix 11/4 to lock up every time I tried to access any item on any menu.)

:D
asa

Re: Hopefully helpful hint

Post by asa »

Another good, and minimally lossy, file you can delete are localstore.rdf (controls window size, position other customizations). But remember that basic files like bookmarks, history and prefs may be broken by changes to Phoenix and when the developers advise you to delete your profile it's because they expect some of these files have changed in ways that will cause problems for the testers/users. If you decide not to remove your profile or to do more "surgical" removal of speficic files or editing within files please don't report bugs that happen in that profile. Always test with a clean profile before filing that bug.

--Asa