Font Family Preferences for Cursive and Fantasy

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Snorri

Font Family Preferences for Cursive and Fantasy

Post by Snorri »

Slightly puzzled and haven't been able to google an answer - why does Firefox no longer include the ability to set your own fonts for both cursive and fantasy font-families any longer?

Cheers,
Snorri.
rreptile

Re: Font Family Preferences for Cursive and Fantasy

Post by rreptile »

Snorri wrote:why does Firefox no longer include the ability to set your own fonts for both cursive and fantasy font-families any longer?

Running Win2K Firefox 1.0.7

I've discovered how to change the firefox settings for the cursive font.

Go to about:config and scroll down to font.name.cursive.x-western (if western is the font section you use). Right click on it and choose "modify" and type your preferred font name into the window.

I do not see where to modify the fantasy font option though. Can someone help?
rreptile

Post by rreptile »

Excuse me for replying to myself. I found out how to modify the fantasy font option.

Close down all instances of Firefox. Go to your Firefox profile folder and open prefs.js. Look for

Code: Select all

user_pref("font.name.fantasy.x-western" 

and change the font name that follows to your preference. If the above is not in the file, add this line - it should be on its own line, all in one line:

Code: Select all

user_pref("font.name.fantasy.x-western", "desdemona");

(I just chose 'desdemona' arbitrarily. Obviously, you can choose whichever fantasy font is on your OS.)

Reopen Firefox and font.name.fantasy.x-western will now be listed in about:config and can be changed more easily.
Thumper

Re: Font Family Preferences for Cursive and Fantasy

Post by Thumper »

Snorri wrote:Slightly puzzled and haven't been able to google an answer - why does Firefox no longer include the ability to set your own fonts for both cursive and fantasy font-families any longer?

They were almost unused. Unused prefs shouldn't take up space in the options panel.

- Chris