Unarchiver will not extract dmg files (Mac)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
mortman

Unarchiver will not extract dmg files (Mac)

Post by mortman »

I use an iMac, OS 10.6.7 and Firefox 5.0.

Unarchiver will not extract downloaded dmg files. This is not an issue with Safari.

This is an ongoing issue that has been present, at least for me, with previous versions of Firefox.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
LoudNoise

Re: Unarchiver will not extract dmg files

Post by LoudNoise »

How does Firefox respond?
Click on Firefox -> Preferences --> Applications. Are dmg files associated with anything?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
mortman

Re: Unarchiver will not extract dmg files

Post by mortman »

Thanks for your quick reply.

Firefox -> Preferences --> Applications shows that DMG use The Unarchiver.

The message I receive is "The contents of the file 'XXXXX.dmg' cannot be extracted with this program"

I don't receive this message with Safari.
LoudNoise

Re: Unarchiver will not extract dmg files (Mac)

Post by LoudNoise »

Likely redundant but I added MAC to the topic.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

How are you opening the file? Are you downloading it to a folder, then opening it via Finder? Or are you using Firefox to "open with" The Unarchiver?
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
eap

Post by eap »

Honestly, I'm a little confused by your issue so could you please clarify? .dmg files are disk images that don't require a program to launch. You should just be able to click on them and open them, leaving Unarchiver out of the entire process. Or, are you talking about a .dmg that is contained in a zip file? If that is the case, try opening it using the built in Mac utility (right click or control click and look under 'open with'). Let us know if that works.