Firefox Double Image Mystery

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Telstar

Post by Telstar »

RPGMaker35 wrote:in the last page, it seems you said you have TBE, try disabling that first and see if that fixes it. If not, go ahead and do the new profile thing :)

Yes, I have TBE. I know it doesn't have everyone's
vote of confidence compared to Preferences but I've
used it for a long time.

I'll give your suggestion a try.

Thanks for that.

Telstar
jqp

Post by jqp »

I'd rather have TabMix than TabBrowserExtensions
Telstar

Update

Post by Telstar »

Well, here's the latest....

First of all, on the double image thingy...I thought I had it pinned down to one of the extensions: Full Screen Context 0.1 because the double image would appear whenever I enabled "Full Screen" from the right-click menu. However, after I uninstalled it, restarted Firefox, and simply used F11 for Full Screen and it went to the double image again.

I haven't been able to associate the double image with any of the other newly installed extensions. I've been installing them a couple at a time to see if the double image shows but, it's only when I use the Full Screen mode.

Second, as predicted, I'm having trouble with my Bookmarks.
I saved bookmarks.html to a Temp Folder but am unsuccessful in getting my old Bookmarks into my new Firefox.
My IE Bookmarks were imported and are in the Bookmark Manager but I need to restore my old Firefox Bookmarks.
Solved!
Ok, it was the long way around but I managed to import my Bookmarks and they are in the new Firefox.
Went to Bookmark Manager>File>Import>File (bookmarks.html).
So, all is well.

jonnyq wrote:I'd rather have TabMix than TabBrowserExtensions

I'd like to have a look at this...can you post a link?

Also, I can't seem to locate the Extension for a Toolbar button I had that allowed me to store Tab Sessions, comes in handy for saving groups of Tabs...
For example, I cannot save this tab session so I can easily return to this Forum.
I'm "Bookmarking this Page" and creating new folders in Bookmark Manager but restoring my old Bookmarks/Bookmark Toolbar Folders would be a big relief.
anyone know where I could find it?
Solved!
Found it. I installed TBE and it's one of the features
called Load Tab Session.

I'm still locating and loading Extensions but the main think right now
is the double image....I still get it.

Thanks,

Telstar
petersjm

Post by petersjm »

Telstar, are you still using that same theme? Maybe that's it. Try working with a different theme for an hour and see what happens.
Firefox: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7
Thunderbird: version 1.5.0.7 (20060909)
Telstar

Post by Telstar »

petersjm wrote:Telstar, are you still using that same theme? Maybe that's it. Try working with a different theme for an hour and see what happens.

Will do.

I only have the Default and the Silver Skin right now but I can easily
download another.

I'll work with another theme or two until sometime tomorrow
and report the results.

Thanks much,

Telstar
jqp

Post by jqp »

Telstar

Here's the latest....

Post by Telstar »

Latest ScreenShot using Gray Modern 0.6.2 Theme - NO TBE...and also after enabling Full Screen and then back to normal screen.

What I've tried:

5 different Themes...
Firefox Default
Silver Skin 2.6.4 (new version for FF 1.0.1)
Whitehart 0.0.8
Gray Modern 0.6.2
Lure 0.6.1

The double image appears with each one upon activation
of Full-Screen mode...either using the Almost Full Screen 0.10 Extension or just using F11.

I've also uninstalled TBE and get the same double image.

Regarding TBE/Tab Mix/Tabbrowser Preferences:
One of the big features for me in TBE is the option of Save/Reload Tab Session.
I don't see anything similar in Tab Mix or Preferences unless I missed seeing that option.
And yes, TBE certainly is very bulky compared to those other two.

I don't know what about my Computer might be the culprit
that could be causing this. I have no problems with any other Programs and as mentioned Norton AV, Spybot, Ad-aware, etc. keeps me free of anything malicious.
But it must be internal to my system, I don't see anyone else posting here or other Threads having the same problem.

It would seem after my tests that this behavior is not from Firefox per se or any of the Themes or Extensions.

Keep me in mind if you come across this anywhere else and perhaps there may be a clue to what's causing my double image.

Any other suggestions? I'm all ears.

Thank you.

Telstar :)

As a sidenote: This new version of Firefox that I've been working on is extremely slow. I had done some about:config tweaks on the other and never received the "this operation has Timed Out while attempting to connect to Mozillazine Forums" error like I get now (not all the time when connecting though)
example: it took over a minute for me to Preview this Post
I'll look for those tweaks that were posted in other threads and see if that helps. I've rebooted and checked my connections? - yes.
OR...was there a problem with the MozillaZine Server?
I was able to connect to other Forums with no problem.

Update: (1 hour later).
Seems to be ok now...very strange
Firefox is connecting to the Firefox Forums as normal.
jqp

Post by jqp »

There's also the SessionSaver extension

The forums went haywire.

What kind of video card do you have?
Telstar

Post by Telstar »

jonnyq wrote:

There's also the SessionSaver extension
What kind of video card do you have?

Yes, I use Session Saver to open with the same Tabs after a restart if I choose to do so.
The difference in TBE is that it's Reload Tab Session saves the history of the Tab Sessions and a drop-down allows me to choose which session I've visited in the past.
(for example, I like to open Firefox General and Firefox Support Tabs at the same time so, that becomes a Session).
The forums went haywire.

I was hoping it was a Forum problem...lol...I don't need anything else to go wrong.

Video Card:
Was answered to James on Page 1....

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

It's the original one that came with my Dell 4400.
I have the Drivers updated to the latest.

I'm still trying different things and will listen to any and all
suggestions.

Thanks for your interest,

Telstar
jqp

Post by jqp »

You can save specific sessions with Session Saver, too.
You can also bookmark a set of tabs as a folder and later open that folder in tabs... which is pretty much the same thing without an extension

I'm sorry... did you say that this problem does or doesn't happen without any extensions installed?
When you were reinstalling extensions one by one, which extensions did you install right before it reappeared?

If you are 100% sure that this probably is not related to a particular extension or a particular combination of extensions, I have another suggestion. Try a custom build, like one from moox.ws - download a .zip build from there, and unzip it to a folder any old place on your computer. Then, close Firefox entirely, and run the firefox.exe from the zip build. The icon should be different, so it should be obvious. It should use your existing profile and everything in it.

I have had a problem before where a function did not work.
I disabled Web Developer extension and the function worked.
I re-enabled Web Developer extension and disabled Tab Mix, and the function worked.
I have both of those extensions at home and the function works.
Sometimes it's not one particular extension that causes a problem - it's a combination of two or three extensions.
Last edited by jqp on March 11th, 2005, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Telstar

Post by Telstar »

jonnyq wrote:I'm sorry... did you say that this problem does or doesn't happen without any extensions installed?
When you were reinstalling extensions one by one, which extensions did you install right before it reappeared?

If you are 100% sure that this probably is not related to a particular extension or a particular combination of extensions, I have another suggestion. Try a custom build, like one from moox.ws

Well, when I created this new Firefox and installed a few Extensions they were:
SpellBound 0.7.3
Download Statusbar 0.9.2
Download Manager Tweak 0.64
Quick Note 0.6
(After install I checked for latest Updates for each)

I hit F11 for Full-Screen and saw the double image.
I then went back and uninstalled and then reinstalled
one by one and each time regardless of which Extensions
I'd always get the double image.

As far as trying different combinations?
jeez...that would take forever, the combinations could be infinite...lol

Video Card could be suspect of course.
And btw, this doesn't happen in IE, only with Firefox.

Do you have a link to moox?
Nevermind, Google got me his "Werxshop".
I'll check it out.

Thanks,

Telstar
jqp

Post by jqp »

www.moox.ws
It works for me... like I said, I'm not telling you to switch from the official Firefox to Moox. I'm asking you to install/unzip moox to a separate location and see what happens. Don't replace your existing Firefox... not at this point.

It could still be the video card, or something else, regardless of how it affects IE. Different programs are written in different languages and compiled differently... Firefox is such a unique program, I'm not surprised it's unique to Firefox. However, I'd be surprised if it only affected Firefox and not Seamonkey.
Telstar

Post by Telstar »

Yep, I hear ya!

In our attempts to find a solution I decided to reach out beyond this
Forum...
I read through most of the Moox info and came across a "contact me" link.
So I did.
I sent him an email with a brief explaination of the problem along
with a link to this thread.

Let's see if I get any reply.

You're correct. I don't want to go through another Firefox from scratch again.
But, I'll take a look at downloading one of Moox' builds to a new Directory keeping Firefox available and see how it goes.

Telstar
sheehan

Post by sheehan »

I don't think an optimized build will change things. What may be required is for you to fully remove Almost Full Screen or Full Screen Context 0.1 from your extensions folder. It doesn't look like it uninstalled correctly. Unfortunately, that will involve manually editing your extensions.rdf file as well as removing the underlying folder. I have had this happen and it was fixed by actually removing a couple of lines. Of course, you also have some userchrome or prefs changed that could have screwed this up.
GUEST :)

Post by GUEST :) »

The recommendation earlier for the infolister extension was a good suggestion, but I prefer ListZilla , especially while monkeying about with profiles, installing and uninstalling extensions. One of the options is to create an html file of extensions, which also acts as a list of links to the extension home pages.