Missing from Firefox but available in the suite...

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
vorlonken

Missing from Firefox but available in the suite...

Post by vorlonken »

PROFILES! I don't use it much but when I need it there's no substitute. A Firefox pre 1.0 release had support for multiple user profiles, and then it went away. I hope that's one feature that Firefox development is going to include in the next release.

A benefit of having browser and email integrated - profiles can be shared. I hope if firefox and thunderbird support the profile concept that they share them... (I've never installed tbird, forgive my ignorance of its features.)

I use Mozilla browser at home and Firefox at work. I like the fact that browser and email are in the same product - but from work, for some reason, *nothing* except outlook express is able to fetch email from my comcast.net POP3 server. It requires a secure connection, and although Mozilla offers it, it won't work. Don't feel too bad because Outlook doesn't work either, just OE.
dynamyte

Post by dynamyte »

profiles and profile manager are available in FF and I use them. go and search in the FF forum and you'll find messages explaining how. I just don't have the info available and I'm not much of a techie and don't want to mislead you.
iMac 2.7 GHZ I Core i5; Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, current FF and TB 6; MacBook Pro 2.2 / 4GB
MechR

Post by MechR »

Ah, but Firefox does have profiles ;) They're just annoyingly hidden, except for one bug (253950) that's constantly biting newbies in the ass.

In fact, a thread just started in the Firefox forums arguing for removal of profile capability from Firefox. Boo, hiss.

Anyway, to open the Profile Manager for Firefox, you:

1. Close Firefox.

2. Go to Start -> Run, and enter

firefox.exe -p

Or if that doesn't work, replace the -p with -profilemanager

Ta-da. There's also a checkbox to have it open whenever you launch Firefox.
jqp

Post by jqp »

I hate when people in the forums talk about mozilla in 2nd person. I frequent the forums (too much), and I ain't Mozilla.

Cusser - my heart sank a little when I read the news about the Suite. I did make my way over to the wiki page about the seamonkey project, but I wasn't cheered up a whole lot. So, the people on the seamonkey project are pretty much the sake people that have always been there? Seamonkey is going to continue to develop? I use Firefox full time, but I don't want to give up the suite (or watch it go stale)
vorlonken

Thanks!

Post by vorlonken »

MechR, thanks for the info! How clever of them to have hidden it behind a command-line switch...

I'm guessing that they think logging in as a different Windows user accomplishes the same thing, and for most it probaby would, but some of us want to switch identies without the hassle of re-logging in to Windows. Especially those of us who don't have multiple windows users defined.

-Ken
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Jonnyq, the Mozilla Foundation is providing the use of all the resources that Mozilla utilised thus far, cvs, bugzilla, bonsai, etc.

I was under the impression that over the last few releases, not a lot of changes have been made to Mozilla individually, a lot of changes benefitted Firefox/Thunderbird too. While they won't be paying developers to directly work on the new, community maintained Seamonkey, I doubt it'll change a lot, since the focus on Seamonkey has been gradually depleting anyway.

If you read Boris Zbarsky's plan of action (http://web.mit.edu/bzbarsky/Public/SeaMonkey.txt), then you'll see a few familiar names. Seamonkey will also most likely still benefit from Mozilla.org products, such as Gecko and (potentially) XULRunner.

Mitchell and Asa sum up this issue well.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I split several posts from this thread and threw them in the dungeon.

I understand quite a few people are confused and/or upset over the "demotion" of the Mozilla Suite, but it would be nice if you expressed this in a polite way.

Thanks!
casey1992

Re: Thanks!

Post by casey1992 »

vorlonken wrote:MechR, thanks for the info! How clever of them to have hidden it behind a command-line switch...

Try talking about command line switches to Mac users! :P

Actually, on the Mac, I believe a key combination will bring up the Profile Manager, though.
SomeoneOrOther

Re: Thanks!

Post by SomeoneOrOther »

casey1992 wrote:
vorlonken wrote:MechR, thanks for the info! How clever of them to have hidden it behind a command-line switch...

Try talking about command line switches to Mac users! :P

Actually, on the Mac, I believe a key combination will bring up the Profile Manager, though.

Well, actually, in Mac OSX, you do have command line, if you choose to use it - it's called Unix! :wink:

By the way, what's the deal anyway with having to do a command line switch in Firefox to get the Profile Manager, whereas in the Suite, you don't?

SH
jqp

Post by jqp »

By the way, what's the deal anyway with having to do a command line switch in Firefox to get the Profile Manager, whereas in the Suite, you don't?

There used to be a shortcut to it created by the installer, just like the suite. That has been removed. I'm baffled as to why. It irks me.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I can't believe nobody has created an extension to add a profile button for FFox. I just copy the safe mode shortcut created during installation and modify it to bring up the profile manager.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers