Phoenix's Profile Folder

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Tirith

Phoenix's Profile Folder

Post by Tirith »

My Apologizes if this has been posted or answered somewhere else, please just drop me a link to that :)

What I would like to-do is Make Phoenix Self contained. What I mean by this is to say put Phoenix on one of them 128meg USB Flash Card drives. and have its profile also stay on that drive and not be rebuilt in where ever that pc's X:\Documents and Settings\ happens to be. would there be a way of tweaking a line of code to point somewhere else?

Basically it would be pretty cool to have a Browser on a key ring that no matter where I go, I would have everything I use at home. And have it leave little trace on the system I was at. So Far this method seems to work fairly well for my Fav Chat program.
alanjstr

Re: Phoenix's Profile Folder

Post by alanjstr »

Tirith wrote:My Apologizes if this has been posted or answered somewhere else, please just drop me a link to that :)

What I would like to-do is Make Phoenix Self contained. What I mean by this is to say put Phoenix on one of them 128meg USB Flash Card drives. and have its profile also stay on that drive and not be rebuilt in where ever that pc's X:\Documents and Settings\ happens to be. would there be a way of tweaking a line of code to point somewhere else?

Basically it would be pretty cool to have a Browser on a key ring that no matter where I go, I would have everything I use at home. And have it leave little trace on the system I was at. So Far this method seems to work fairly well for my Fav Chat program.

Yes, there is another thread about that. Another user is putting it onto a cd-rom.
Tirith

Post by Tirith »

Thats great! is there a running thread on it?

there is only one concern about a cd though, its for the most part read-only(unless you use a kind of Drive-emu)
willll

Post by willll »

here is the <a href="http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1897">other thread</a>. hope it helps you
Tirith

Post by Tirith »

Thank you very much!

hmm would anyone happened to know if there is an editable place in Phoenix to change the default path of the Profile, even using Profile manager to place the Profile in a new loc; there are still 2 files and one folder created.

If you delete these 3 items, Phoenix forgets you even have a profile, this is cuz registry.dat is gone, not sure if pluginreg.dat has any really usefulness in this scope(meaning for creating, delete, moving, ect profiles) The profile folder its self is empty.

Sense I'm basically just a user jumping into this, I know I need to-do some research, is there any place where a listing of all files and what they do(ya I know there was about 600 files in the .05 release) does not have to be to detailed, but I guess if anyone want to start to "mod" Phoenix it would be a big help.

Thanks to all! and I apologize for my noobieness.