this is getting out of hand. firefox uses 1.9gig of ram

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
MiltonBradley

Re: this is getting out of hand. firefox uses 1.9gig of ram

Post by MiltonBradley »

VanillaMozilla wrote:
MiltonBradley wrote:well memory was running high FIRST
i only install memfox AFTER having all the high memory usage

The question is whether you installed it not because of a number you observed but because you had a performance problem due to disk swapping. Which was it? the difference is crucial.

well when memory goes > 1gig, i have a performance problem,firefox moves slow, however i dont know if its a disk swapping case

what is firefox swapping back and forth?

i usually disable the disc cache, and enable a large memory cache
since memory is faster than disc right?
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Firefox isn't swapping anything. Your OS may be swapping memory to disk.

Aha! If you've tinkered with memory settings and you then have a memory problem, then your settings are suspect. Try not messing with memory and disc cache settings. Just use the defaults. If you don't know how to undo what you've done, then create a new profile for testing. (Do NOT delete the old one!! Do NOT try to create a custom location for the cache!!!)

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

It could also be an extension. The new profile will also not have any of the extensions, so that will be another clue.
MiltonBradley

Post by MiltonBradley »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Firefox isn't swapping anything. Your OS may be swapping memory to disk.

Aha! If you've tinkered with memory settings and you then have a memory problem, then your settings are suspect. Try not messing with memory and disc cache settings. Just use the defaults. If you don't know how to undo what you've done, then create a new profile for testing. (Do NOT delete the old one!! Do NOT try to create a custom location for the cache!!!)

It could also be an extension. The new profile will also not have any of the extensions, so that will be another clue.

well, let me make this clear
the remedies ive tried, have only come, AFTER the memory problems

once i was getting huge memory usage,and then sluggish performance, THEN i tried things like memfox, and fasterfox (where you can choose and set the memory cache and disc cache)

i used those to try to fix problems first, before coming here to forums to help
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

MiltonBradley wrote:
...then create a new profile for testing. (Do NOT delete the old one!! Do NOT try to create a custom location for the cache!!!)

well, let me make this clear...

...coming here to forums to help

Let's cut to the chase, you can either fart about endlessly discussing this stuff or you can start to troubleshoot and find out the cause and remedy. Just one wrong entry in prefs.js can cause this problem.

If you're not just here because you're lonely, then make an additional testing profile - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Wait a minute. You have been posting here on the same problem. By not posting a link you're wasting everyone's time.

When you ask for help, you must (1) ask for help in only one place; (2) answer all questions and (3) take suggestions.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Just as a reminder: I have over 100 open tabs on all of my several systems and firefox rarely takes more than 512 MB of 3GB available.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
tmarkoski

Post by tmarkoski »

the-edmeister wrote:What is the problem with 1.9GB when there's 8GB available?

I'll take it that you are used to accepting poorly developed software.
Your statement is foolish on its face as NOTHING within Firefox requires that much memory.

Firefox has become a memory hog.
In fact, it has become everything that Mozilla used to claim about IE.

It's clear that Firefox development is irreparably broken.
They don't have anyone who knows how to code to use memory efficiently.
colley30

Post by colley30 »

you must have serious issues with your computer... FF only uses 1.2 meg of RAM on my PC
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

tmarkoski wrote:Firefox has become a memory hog.
In fact, it has become everything that Mozilla used to claim about IE.

It's clear that Firefox development is irreparably broken.
They don't have anyone who knows how to code to use memory efficiently.

You, old son, have a very big, ill-informed mouth -

Frank Lion wrote:
Waylon wrote:I'm putting together a new PC with 16GB DDRIII now. Because it looks like I'll need that if I want to continue running Firefox. And I do.

Would be easier to fix your Firefox than to build a high spec PC to run your existing problem version of Firefox on.

For example, I have 12 tabs open and I'm using 138mb. On 4/5/6/7/8/9 (yes, I tested/test them all) the mem figures are even lower. You, however, say you are using 600 - 800+ mb! You have something that needs fixing there.

Something that is an inherent 'memory hog' is not going to use less than 140mb for 12 tabs, is it?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

You whiners might want to read this blog post.

We've made a lot of progress with MemShrink in just a few months. There's plenty more work to do, but at this point, the vast majority of bugs which take the form of "OMG Firefox is using 8 zettabytes of RAM" are not due to problems in Firefox. Instead, most major memory bugs are due to problems in Firefox add-ons.

Add-on leaks are everyone's problem.

Gasp! Adblock Plus an offender.

But as you can see from the article Mozilla is making an effort to fix those problems.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Bug 695471 wrote:We've noticed in MemShrink that the vast majority of leaks users experience are due to bugs in addons.
Bug 695481 wrote:Most of the memory leaks users are experiencing are due to bugs in addons.
Milton Bradley, you see, we're not making this stuff up.

Editorial comment:
The carrot, the stick, and the wrench: Add-on leaks are everyone's problem wrote:The fact is, if we take credit for our vibrant add-on community, we must take responsibility for the problems those add-ons cause. ...We have the capability to inform users of a problem before they install an add-on, and we should.

Now we're getting somewhere.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Back in the spring, Mozilla (specifically AMO) did start working on benchmarking and testing slow addons and making coding recommendations to authors of particularly offensive examples:

http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2011/04/ ... rformance/

But remember that it wasn't compulsory for addons authors to take the advice and that it's certainly possible that an addon could cause memory leaks but startup perfectly fast. So it seems to me that the second (and most important) half of this initiative should be testing memory leaks. But also remember that it's possible that some memory problems are caused by conflicts between two or more extensions and also possible that they are caused in some non-default settings (which Mozilla probably wouldn't bother to test). If you do detect a memory leak that you suspect is caused by an addon, then you should consider tracking down which addon is causing it and report your settings to the author. If you have discovered a problem with an addon and don't bother to give the author constructive feedback then you really have no-one to blame but yourself.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Moving to Firefox General to avoid guest "me too!" posts.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Astrophizz

Post by Astrophizz »

colley30 wrote:you must have serious issues with your computer... FF only uses 1.2 meg of RAM on my PC

Do you mean 1.2 gigs? Just sayin' :wink:
MiltonBradley

Post by MiltonBradley »

Frank Lion wrote:
MiltonBradley wrote:
...then create a new profile for testing. (Do NOT delete the old one!! Do NOT try to create a custom location for the cache!!!)

well, let me make this clear...

...coming here to forums to help

Let's cut to the chase, you can either fart about endlessly discussing this stuff or you can start to troubleshoot and find out the cause and remedy. Just one wrong entry in prefs.js can cause this problem.

If you're not just here because you're lonely, then make an additional testing profile - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

ok what are you talking about farting? i am trouble shooting, im just trying to tell you folks to stop pointing the figure at said plugins because i only added those plugins AFTER i had this large memory consume problem, yall folks seem to be missing that point

i already tried the new profile thing, still had same problem