this is getting out of hand. firefox uses 1.9gig of ram

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
patrickjdempsey

Re: this is getting out of hand. firefox uses 1.9gig of ram

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Which means if you really wanted to you could probably get Firefox running in W7 without any problems as well since not even development builds of Firefox really specifically support W8 yet.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I suspect that you are witnessing the power of a clean start. Somehow you have left some cruft behind--possibly a plugin.
MiltonBradley

Post by MiltonBradley »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Which means if you really wanted to you could probably get Firefox running in W7 without any problems as well since not even development builds of Firefox really specifically support W8 yet.

Or maybe they still havent found a way to optimize for W7 yet
But i mean i used it with W7, it didnt work efficiently
I am the OP of this thread, no solutions work to get firefox to manage memory efficiently so not really sure what you mean by "probably get firefox running"
MiltonBradley

Post by MiltonBradley »

VanillaMozilla wrote:I suspect that you are witnessing the power of a clean start. Somehow you have left some cruft behind--possibly a plugin.

No, same firefox version channel(beta), and im using the same plugins. My Plugins is the sole reason why I stick to firefox
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Or maybe Microsoft fixed memory management issues on their end?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
MiltonBradley

Post by MiltonBradley »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Or maybe Microsoft fixed memory management issues on their end?

If they did, then why would you suggest i stay with Win 7 if its not fixed in that version yet?????????????????????????
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

MiltonBradley wrote:My Plugins is the sole reason why I stick to firefox

Extensions are not plugins.
MiltonBradley

Post by MiltonBradley »

VanillaMozilla wrote:
MiltonBradley wrote:My Plugins is the sole reason why I stick to firefox

Extensions are not plugins.

True im aware of that, i just misread,and thus mistyped:
All the plugins i used were the stock ones that came with firefox(about 6 of them i believe)
I used all the same extensions(about 20: fasterfox,flashblock,addblock,etc) i had when it ran up to 1.9 gig on me, all of them

um, i do believe you knew what i meant beforehand though,just getting me on a technicality ,congrats
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

MiltonBradley wrote:I used all the same extensions(about 20: fasterfox,flashblock,addblock,etc) i had when it ran up to 1.9 gig on me

Just to let you know:

Any of the Fasterfox add-ons are known to cause problems and slow browser page loading, don't get me wrong I use to be strong supporter and believer and user of the original and another variation of the Fasterfox add-on prior to Fx4, but the network settings that it changes were having bad effect on the newer Fx4+, I had to stop using Fasterfox add-on and reset all the network settings it effected back to there defaults settings before my problems went away.
  • Note: Even if you go into Fx SafeMode and your Fasterfox add-on is Disabled/Uninstalled the network settings that it changes don't revert back to there default preferences .
James

Post by James »

MiltonBradley wrote:All the plugins i used were the stock ones that came with firefox(about 6 of them i believe)

Firefox any version from Mozilla does not come with Any browser Plugins whether it be Java (except Mac?) or Flash or Quicktime or such.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/
MiltonBradley

Post by MiltonBradley »

James wrote:
MiltonBradley wrote:All the plugins i used were the stock ones that came with firefox(about 6 of them i believe)

Firefox any version from Mozilla does not come with Any browser Plugins whether it be Java or Flash or Quicktime or such.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/

ok, you may be right, but i only have 3 plugins
and im sure NOBODY uses firefox with NO plugins

when i said stock, i pretty much meant what everybody would have on their firefox. I used the main ones:

1) shockwave flash(nobody uses flash plugin anymore?guess im the only one)
2)Java platform (nobody uses java?thought a couple things still used java,guess im the only one that visits java sites)
and a 3) google update plugin

Point remains the same,regardless of how people are trying to correct me on mere technicalities:
***Im still using same plugins AND extensions in win 8 that i did on Win 7,whether they are stock or not***

standard plugins are they not? so to solve my memory problems in Win 7 i should never use flash/java so i cant watch youtube and stuff?
Last edited by MiltonBradley on March 7th, 2012, 6:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
MiltonBradley

Post by MiltonBradley »

rob64rock wrote:
MiltonBradley wrote:I used all the same extensions(about 20: fasterfox,flashblock,addblock,etc) i had when it ran up to 1.9 gig on me

Just to let you know:

Any of the Fasterfox add-ons are known to cause problems and slow browser page loading, don't get me wrong I use to be strong supporter and believer and user of the original and another variation of the Fasterfox add-on prior to Fx4, but the network settings that it changes were having bad effect on the newer Fx4+, I had to stop using Fasterfox add-on and reset all the network settings it effected back to there defaults settings before my problems went away.
  • Note: Even if you go into Fx SafeMode and your Fasterfox add-on is Disabled/Uninstalled the network settings that it changes don't revert back to there default preferences .

this may be true, but some of those add-ons have definitely improved speed for some

i never experienced slowness anyway, until firefox started using 1.4 or larger memory consumption,then it got sluggish,and would never lose the memory

its never used over 650mg on me so far
trolly

Post by trolly »

Well, i think no one is interested ...

Nightly/x64 and Win7/64 uses here only 100K (Flash plugin installed and a few addons).

So i suggest you start with a fresh profile, add your plugins and start firefox without any open pages. Check the memory. Now begin opening pages and check the memory after loading.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
MiltonBradley

Post by MiltonBradley »

trolly wrote:Well, i think no one is interested ...

Nightly/x64 and Win7/64 uses here only 100K (Flash plugin installed and a few addons).

So i suggest you start with a fresh profile, add your plugins and start firefox without any open pages. Check the memory. Now begin opening pages and check the memory after loading.

im tried all versions, including nightly

are you actually telling me the average user was only using 100K while using firefox?
seriously????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
i mean you at least mean 100MB right? which is still unbelievabley low unless you use at max 5 open tabs
plugin-containers alone take more than that watching one video(the one i posted was using almost half a gig)

the process of doing safemode,then adding 1 by 1 until you get up to your normal 20 or 30 extensions takes extremely long time to properly troubleshoot
its not like once you had an extension,it will immediately shoot up in memory
plus still doesnt answer why you dont regain memory after say closing 15 tabs

and i guess its not odd that chrome, opera, ie explorer dont use anywhere near what firefox did right?
but again firefox is the browser with the most and best extensions, thats why most people use it correct?
like i cant even get multi row tabs on chrome yet(which is clearly faster),or i would have jumped ship a while ago
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

MiltonBradley wrote:um, i do believe you knew what i meant beforehand though,just getting me on a technicality ,congrats

No, I didn't remember anything about this case and didn't review it. I still think that with the clean start you have left some cruft behind, but what matters is that you got it going.