HTML5 Cookies

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Handle With Care

HTML5 Cookies

Post by Handle With Care »

I realize this isn't urgent, since even Mozilla isn't using HTML5 <http://www.mozilla.org/firefoxlive> for those adorable baby firefoxes (according to the site's FAQ).

But, there has been some discussion about HTML5 setting cookies like Adobe's Flash does with LSOs which can be removed. So, where are the HTML5 cookies and how does one get rid of them?
AMD A8-3800 APU Radion HD Graphics 2.40 GHz; 64-bit Win-7 SP1 Home Premium w/latest patches; Fx 91.0.1 (64-bit); Tb 92.0B3(64bit)
EFnet oper irc.Prison.NET
tanstaafl

Re: HTML5 Cookies

Post by tanstaafl »

Disable "offline storage" in tools -> options -> advanced -> network if you're worried about a HTML5 web page using what is supposed to be a resource cache as a supercookie. I disable it since I haven't run into any web sites where you either need it for decent performance or the web page refuses to work unless that is enabled.

I'm disappointed that the exceptions button only lets you block specific sites and doesn't seem to let you add an exception that enables a specific site when offline storage is disabled. This requires you to either pay attention to what sites are listed as using offline storage and actively manage it, or disable it completely. i.e. it supports opt-out, not opt-in.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I have "Tell me when a website asks to store data for offline use" checked, and have never been asked. Have nothing in the "The following websites have stored data for offline use" field.

I don't see a setting to disable "offline storage".

Is it a Windows only option?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Handle With Care

Post by Handle With Care »

The "Tell me ..." can be checked or unchecked. I guess mine defaulted to checked and unchecking would disable telling me. Now I'm confused, or would be if anything were in the exceptions.
AMD A8-3800 APU Radion HD Graphics 2.40 GHz; 64-bit Win-7 SP1 Home Premium w/latest patches; Fx 91.0.1 (64-bit); Tb 92.0B3(64bit)
EFnet oper irc.Prison.NET
morat

Post by morat »

To disable persistent storage, set the dom.storage.enabled preference to false.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dom.storage.enabled
zmanzero
Deviant

Post by zmanzero »

morat wrote:To disable persistent storage, set the dom.storage.enabled preference to false.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dom.storage.enabled

thanks.
"Jesus, man, this thread was dead and buried." - RAF
really joined 7/9/04. thanks dickvl.