Why people won't upgrade & why I am starting to hate Firefox

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Why people won't upgrade & why I am starting to hate Fir

Post by malliz »

What topic? some self opinionated wall of words rant is not a topic especially when you don't actually seem to be able to make a cogent argument and then have to resort to using a larger type face something you seemed to avoid in all the rest of your postings over the years. I was just pointing out that you had resorted to childish tactics to try to make a point.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
JAB Creations

Post by JAB Creations »

malliz wrote:What topic? some self opinionated wall of words rant is not a topic especially when you don't actually seem to be able to make a cogent argument and then have to resort to using a larger type face something you seemed to avoid in all the rest of your postings over the years. I was just pointing out that you had resorted to childish tactics to try to make a point.

This is one of the things I'm talking about: not understanding other people. Font-size 120% (which is not the "large" 150% much less "screaming") when the font-size is only 12px is not called screaming, it's called readable. When the site was started in 1998 I'm sure most people were using 14 inch CRT screens with a resolution of 640x480 or maybe 800x600 though it's almost 2012 and I'm using a 24 inch screen at it's native 1920x1200 resolution. You'll then point to the font-size selector though I clear cookies often. Perhaps then I don't share you view that small font-sizes are "normal".

Just as millions of people running Firefox 3.6 and older (and now at this point Firefox 5 and 6) don't agree that newer is better. That's one of the points! Firefox is about having your own preferences because not everyone is going to enjoy the exact same thing. There's not much difference between font-size 12px and font-size 14.4px yet I find it worth the effort so I can proof-read my own posts without straining my eyes. Do you wear glasses? Are you near or far sighted? Yet instead of inquiring you insidiously suggested that I was "screaming". These posts could instead be a discussion about how to help users update which I think everyone here would agree would be a good thing. Isn't the spirit of Mozillazine to support Mozilla products such as Firefox? If so could you please try to make an honest effort at making a positive contribution to the discussion?
Last edited by Daifne on December 4th, 2011, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary formatting
Here to mostly fix the browser's broken GUI. I maintain the Fixed Firefox website to share the things I've confirmed work.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Your talking to someone who worked in the typesetting trade for eighteen years I know full well what is "readable" and how to successfully make something readable without resorting to large type sizes another skill apparently that you lack. I just wondered why you suddenly resorted to "Readable" when you are well and truly on the retreat? Reiterating your tired mantra is not going to make it true in fact it re-enforces your lack of debating skills.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Let's stay on topic here (assuming there is one to stay on) and stop the pettiness. Ridiculous font size manipulations are not helping to advance anyone's case.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

DanRaisch wrote: Ridiculous font size manipulations are not helping to advance anyone's case.

My point exactly
"Terry Pratchett"
JAB Creations

Post by JAB Creations »

malliz, for someone who claims to have 18 years of experience hijacking someone's thread, going off-topic and being childish while saying the other person is being childish is just outright trolling. I have no reason to further acknowledge you (though in the event that you decide to continue posting consider the fact that you know I will not acknowledge you as proof that you insist on being childish) in a thread that I started any more. I'm not nor was debating you though I am from this point ignoring you.

Dan, if you had any intent in being helpful and objective as a moderator should you wouldn't have made snide remarks. That erodes away your credibility as a moderator and undermines the perceived friendliness of participating on the forums for others.

I've seen several people using Firefox 3.6 whose referrers on my site's records point to this thread. If they need technical assistance without off-topic childish or snide remarks I'll be happy to help them on the forums over at my site. Should someone reply on-topic I'll try to acknowledge them though it seems there are people around who don't want to see an objective discussion take place.
Last edited by Daifne on December 4th, 2011, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary formatting
Here to mostly fix the browser's broken GUI. I maintain the Fixed Firefox website to share the things I've confirmed work.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Actually what I said was I had eighteen years in the typesetting trade. I also pointed out that there are ways of making things legible and more to the point readable than large type. Seeing as you had to be told how to change basic settings in Firefox your "technical assistance" may be less than perfect
"Terry Pratchett"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

To what "objective discussion" are you referring? You started the thread with a lengthy opinion piece that accused Mozilla executives of being on drugs. By any definition of the words that I can find, that represents a subjective presentation of the issue, not an objective statement of facts. The fact that those responding to you disagree with your interpretation of things then led you to manipulating fonts in some of your replies to both larger and smaller (unreadably small) sizes. My post simply noted that such tactics "are not helping to advance anyone's case." I'll stand by that statement.