MozillaZine

install multiple versions of firefox in linux

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
COKEDUDE

Post Posted January 10th, 2012, 12:17 pm

Since apt-get and yum won't let you install multiple versions of firefox I will explain how to here.

1. Go to this page and decide which version of firefox you want.
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/
I used this one.
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/f ... .1.tar.bz2

2. Unzip the archive
Code: Select all
tar -zxvf firefox-9.0.1.tar.bz2
-z means filter the archive through gzip
-x extract
-v verbose
-f file name

3. Put firefox in its own directory.
mv firefox firefox-9.0.1

4. Make a backup of your profile direcory
cp -r /home/bob/.mozilla /home/bob/.mozilla3

If you use seamonkey or thunderbird there profile info will also be there.

4. Create a new profile so you don't corrupt your old profile.
firefox -CreateProfile "firefox-9.0.1 /home/bob/.mozilla/firefox/firefox-9.0.1"
This is my profile name firefox-9.0.1 and this is my profile directory /home/bob/.mozilla/firefox/firefox-9.0.1

5. Run firefox 9.0.1 from the directory I put it in.
/home/bob/firefox-9.0.1/firefox -no-remote -P firefox-9.0.1
/home/bob/firefox-9.0.1/firefox is my install directory
-no-remote allows to use firefox 9.0.1 and my old version of firefox
-P is the profile option
firefox-9.0.1 is the name of my profile

These 2 links go into more depth if you are interested.
http://www.libre-software.net/how-to-in ... linux-mint
http://odyniec.net/blog/2010/02/running ... untu-9-10/

Don't do this like one of the links say to do.
firefox -no-remote -CreateProfile firefox-3.6

That creates a profile called firefox-3.6 like you would expect but it puts profile in the firefox directory instead of creating its own separate directory. So in this case it would be in /home/bob/.mozilla/firefox/ instead of /home/bob/.mozilla/firefox/firefox-3.6 like you would expect.

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted January 10th, 2012, 12:58 pm

Why don't you put a link to this in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_multipl ... _-_Firefox .

Frank Lion

Post Posted January 10th, 2012, 1:10 pm

VanillaMozilla wrote:Why don't you put a link to this in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_multipl ... _-_Firefox .

Because command line stuff is not necessary, confuses people and this is easier for users to understand? - viewtopic.php?p=11566271#p11566271

Useful to have it around somewhere in the forums though.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted January 10th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Well, I suppose that's good if you only want one version. Plus, the path string uses '/', not '\' in Linux. And command lines work well for Linux support because they are precise (maybe), concise, and can be copied and pasted without error.

Just one thing, COKEDUDE. I didn't look very carefully at what you wrote, but the home directory is abbreviated as '~'. This adds generality to the commands. Instead of /home/bob/.mozilla/firefox/ , you can write ~/.mozilla/firefox/ .

Frank Lion

Post Posted January 10th, 2012, 3:41 pm

VanillaMozilla wrote:Well, I suppose that's good if you only want one version

I test 4 versions like that.

Plus, the path uses '/', not '\' in Linux.

I'll make it a duty to mention every single spelling error and syntax mistake that you ever make in these forums in future. ;)

And command lines work well for Linux support because they are precise (maybe), concise, and can be copied and pasted without error.

They are rubbish. Copying/pasting other people's command lines without understanding or thought promotes 'monkey see, monkey do' ignorance in users. It is far better if users really understand what they are trying to achieve.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted January 10th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Frank Lion wrote:I'll make it a duty to mention every single spelling error and syntax mistake that you ever make in these forums in future. ;)

If I give instructions that won't work because of errors, please do.

Frank Lion wrote:Copying/pasting other people's command lines without understanding or thought promotes 'monkey see, monkey do' ignorance in users. It is far better if users really understand what they are trying to achieve.

And he explained it very nicely, didn't he?

It appears that in your version (maybe his too, I don't know, I didn't look) you use the same profile for every version. And you don't use the -no-remote switch, so you can only use one version at a time.

I don't really care, but if the procedure is worth writing here, maybe it's worth putting one or another version in the KB, if it isn't there already.

Frank Lion

Post Posted January 10th, 2012, 4:18 pm

VanillaMozilla wrote:If I give instructions that won't work because of errors, please do.

Except that my instructions there do work..it's a manual search process by the user, remember?

No one is ever not going to be able to find their .mozilla folder because of a simple slash error! If that was your best shot, give up.

Command lines set Linux back 10 years. 10 wasted years with pitifully few users, when they should have concentrated on GUI. Now, that they have, look how the userbase expanded. That is not unconnected.

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted January 10th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Yes, well, I like the conciseness of your instructions.

James

Post Posted January 10th, 2012, 9:38 pm

COKEDUDE wrote:-no-remote allows to use firefox 9.0.1 and my old version of firefox
-P is the profile option

The -no-remote is only needed when one wants to run two Firefox instances at same time. Otherwise just start Firefox with -P for to start Firefox with ProfileManager have it start with a specific profile like say ./firefox -P "exactprofilename".

COKEDUDE

Post Posted January 11th, 2012, 12:24 am

VanillaMozilla wrote:Why don't you put a link to this in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_multipl ... _-_Firefox .

I don't have an account. When I have time I may add it. Figuring out wiki syntax is also pretty time consuming. Posting in the forum is nice and simple.

Frank Lion wrote:

Because command line stuff is not necessary, confuses people and this is easier for users to understand? - viewtopic.php?p=11566271#p11566271

Useful to have it around somewhere in the forums though.

I understand all my commands.

VanillaMozilla wrote:Well, I suppose that's good if you only want one version. Plus, the path string uses '/', not '\' in Linux. And command lines work well for Linux support because they are precise (maybe), concise, and can be copied and pasted without error.

Just one thing, COKEDUDE. I didn't look very carefully at what you wrote, but the home directory is abbreviated as '~'. This adds generality to the commands. Instead of /home/bob/.mozilla/firefox/ , you can write ~/.mozilla/firefox/ .

Please show me mistake.

I know. I prefer using full paths. I use the zsh so it is very easy to complete with tab completion.

Frank Lion wrote:
And command lines work well for Linux support because they are precise (maybe), concise, and can be copied and pasted without error.

They are rubbish. Copying/pasting other people's command lines without understanding or thought promotes 'monkey see, monkey do' ignorance in users. It is far better if users really understand what they are trying to achieve.

I understand exactly what I am doing. I spent about 4 hours last night figuring this out.

James wrote:
COKEDUDE wrote:-no-remote allows to use firefox 9.0.1 and my old version of firefox
-P is the profile option

The -no-remote is only needed when one wants to run two Firefox instances at same time. Otherwise just start Firefox with -P for to start Firefox with ProfileManager have it start with a specific profile like say ./firefox -P "exactprofilename".

I use firefox 9 and 4 at the same time on a regular basis so I need -no-remote .

Frank Lion

Post Posted January 11th, 2012, 4:54 am

COKEDUDE wrote:I understand exactly what I am doing. I spent about 4 hours last night figuring this out.

Classic! :P

...in a 'I know this can be done more simply in 5 minutes, but I've figured out a really complicated way to do the same and it only took me 4 hours to figure out how' type way.

=D>

VanillaMozilla wrote:Yes, well, I like the conciseness of your instructions.

Yes, and I like it that your username starts with a V. Me not daft.

Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer,
And without sneering, teach the rest to sneer;
Willing to wound, and yet afraid to strike,
Just hint a fault, and hesitate dislike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damn_with_faint_praise

WaltS48

Post Posted January 11th, 2012, 7:09 am

Interesting post.

I have Aurora, Beta, and Nightly installed manually from the tarballs, and my distributions version 9.0.1 installed.

However, I manage my profiles with Profile Manager
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted January 11th, 2012, 8:04 am

COKEDUDE wrote:Please show me mistake.

It wasn't your mistake. Frank used a '\' in the Linux path. Of course I had to compound it by wording the correction as if he didn't know the difference. :roll: Sorry, Frank.

COKEDUDE

Post Posted January 11th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Frank Lion wrote:
COKEDUDE wrote:I understand exactly what I am doing. I spent about 4 hours last night figuring this out.

Classic! :P

...in a 'I know this can be done more simply in 5 minutes, but I've figured out a really complicated way to do the same and it only took me 4 hours to figure out how' type way.

Take a look at my title

install multiple versions of firefox in linux

Linux people ALWAYS share experiences with others and try to share knowledge. That is what I am doing. Now any future linux user can do this very complicated process very easily and very quickly. Installing and using 2 versions of firefox takes awhile to set up. Now any future Linux user can do this in 2 minutes now.

Frank Lion

Post Posted January 11th, 2012, 3:29 pm

COKEDUDE wrote:Take a look at my title - install multiple versions of firefox in linux

Jeeze, you really are on coke, aren't you, dude. Never going to let this drop, eh?

Did you think it was a coincidence that my link was also about linux?

Linux people ALWAYS share experiences with others and try to share knowledge.

What, like this? -
viewtopic.php?p=2959435#p2959435

...or were you thinking more like the Linux sticky I ran for 2.5 years? -
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=564340&start=30

You sure you want to tell me what Linux people always do, sunshine?

Now any future Linux user can do this in 2 minutes now

They always could and also actually understand what they were doing and the last thing Linux needs is some crackhead guy posting Terminal commands in this non-tech Support forum as though it was still 2001.

Things have moved on since then and posting what will appear as complicated gibberish to Windows users is hardly likely to make them want to try Linux and will only reaffirm their belief that Linux is way too complicated for them.

It is not and they should try it.

Return to Firefox General