End of Firefox Support for Windows 2000

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
patrickjdempsey

Re: End of Firefox Support for Windows 2000

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Lone Browncoat wrote:Anyone who uses Windows should know what MSFN is, or they're simply not informed.

One part not imformed, two parts don't care, three parts would rather have my arms broken slowly in a vice than lurk in a MS forum.

Lone Browncoat wrote:Plus, if you tried, there is no direct way to contact anyone at Mozilla.
Just a run-around on the feedback pages.

The run-around on the feedback pages is to keep Johnny Tenthumbs from clogging up the development communication channels with idiocy like "Farm Mafia Cupcakes game on Facebook keeps crashing in Firefox 36!1! Fix it now stupidfaces!1!11". BugZilla IS the second most direct way to contact Mozilla. There is another even more direct way, but there's a ritual involving your sworn fealty to a communist dinosaur and the sacrifice of a small animal before I can reveal it's awesome power.

Lone Browncoat wrote:and I have before coming into here.
The problem is their use of MS VC++ 2010.

If you've already filed a bug with Bugzilla, then why waste our time posting a link to a post in some random forum than the actual bug report?

@Frank, More Stuff For Nerds also works. ;)
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

lithopsian wrote:Firefox has stopped supporting Windows98? I'm so glad I switched to Linux :)

Mozilla ended Firefox support for Win98/ME in June 2008 when Firefox 3.0 came out. about two years when Microsoft ended all support for Win98/ME in July 2006.

it would be almost two years for Firefox 13 to drop Win2k support when FF 13 gets finalized in mid-2012. MS ended all support for Win2000 in mid-July 2010.
James

Post by James »

4td8s wrote:
lithopsian wrote:Firefox has stopped supporting Windows98? I'm so glad I switched to Linux :)

Mozilla ended Firefox support for Win98/ME in June 2008 when Firefox 3.0 came out.

It was Gecko 1.9.0.x to be more specific as it did not affect just Firefox.
patrickjdempsey

They "say" they ended all support for Win2000 in 2010, but my machine at work still receives security updates. Oh well, I guess I'll learn how to Opera.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
mozillauser233

Post by mozillauser233 »

patrickjdempsey wrote:They "say" they ended all support for Win2000 in 2010, but my machine at work still receives security updates. Oh well, I guess I'll learn how to Opera.

Hate to see you go that route.

This is just a suggestion.

I seen someone with a problem about waterfox stating xpx64 not compatible, the guy had taken the install file, had extracted all the parts and was able to use waterfox on xpx64, the limited compatibility was due to the installer itself.

Can you take the firefox installer and do the same for Win2k and see if firefox you want, firesup?

Just a suggestion, it might be just be a limitation from the installer.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

mozillauser233 wrote:Can you take the firefox installer and do the same for Win2k and see if firefox you want, firesup?

Just a suggestion, it might be just be a limitation from the installer.

No you cannot. there was a lot of hacky code maintained to enable win98 to use Firefox.... this code has since been removed from the browser.
I believe win2000 to be in a somewhat similar position but other factors are included.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
patrickjdempsey

I don't know if they are doing anything "special" to continue to support W2K, I think it's more just that they want to gain the benefits of upgrading to Visual Studio 2010 which no longer supports W2K. Lonebrowncoat mentioned a W2K support library for VS2010, but I suspect that Mozilla just wants to be able to make a clean break. I'm not exactly sure why as "classic" theme support is still needed for all versions of Windows.
patrickjdempsey

Hmmm.... Firefox 12 updated with no problems although I was greeted with a popup warning that Windows 2000 was no longer supported, which came up randomly in the middle of a session (which made me think it was malware at first).
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

That seems odd. Maybe it's only prompting when it hits a feature that depends on a newer OS? That doesn't seem like how it would be implemented...
patrickjdempsey

No clue, I wasn't expecting it to install at all.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

I wonder if they only got the main check for Win2k in the installer, not the updater?
patrickjdempsey

It's possible? If that's the case it's easy enough to install 11.0 and allow it to upgrade.
D.Dancer

Firefox 13

Post by D.Dancer »

So this week, after a few months of discussion and evaluation of the
latest Firefox user numbers and the pros and cons of moving our tools
forward, I've called for Mozilla to begin the process for ending support
on those older Windows version. Next Tuesday or Wednesday, after Firefox
12 moves to Aurora, the Mozilla Release Engineering team will begin
upgrading our Windows build systems to Visual Studio 2010. With VS2010,
we will no longer be able to build a Firefox that runs on Windows 2000,
Windows XP RTM, and Windows Service Pack 1.

From page:
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-p ... 01532.html

Anything that is built with VS2010 runs on Windows 2000, I have no idea where they got the idea that because they're migrating to to 2010, Firefox will magically quit working with Windows 2000, ...
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Probably because they didn't want to support 5 versions of Windows. You should ask them on the NewsGroups to find out why they did it.