MozillaZine


End of Firefox Support for Windows 2000

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
D.Dancer

User avatar
 
Posts: 74
Joined: February 5th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Post Posted April 26th, 2012, 8:25 am


I run applications using that runtime library with no issues.

Other factors I have to take into account.

Upgrading my OS will cost me a new motherboard and processor at a minimum plus I lose access to 12gigs of ram.

patrickjdempsey

User avatar
 
Posts: 23734
Joined: October 23rd, 2008, 11:43 am
Location: Asheville NC

Post Posted April 26th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Firefox 12 gives a nag screen complaining about Windows 2000 support every time you start it up. So I just installed ESR on my work machine over the existing Firefox 12 install and it worked beautifully and painlessly. Unfortunately this time next year it'll be up a creek.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Gingerbread Man

User avatar
 
Posts: 7744
Joined: January 30th, 2007, 10:55 am

Post Posted April 26th, 2012, 9:18 pm

patrickjdempsey wrote:Firefox 12 gives a nag screen complaining about Windows 2000 support every time you start it up.

Did you try disabling update checking? If I run Firefox in Windows 2000 compatibility mode, it doesn't nag me. So it's not because of a detection at startup. Then again, it'll be obsolete in 6 weeks, so there's little point in troubleshooting.

LoudNoise
New Member

User avatar
 
Posts: 40048
Joined: October 18th, 2007, 1:45 pm
Location: Next door to the west

Post Posted April 26th, 2012, 10:26 pm

D.Dancer wrote:

I run applications using that runtime library with no issues.

Other factors I have to take into account.

Upgrading my OS will cost me a new motherboard and processor at a minimum plus I lose access to 12gigs of ram.


Good for you. However folks who are compiling for other users are likely to run into real world problems. I don't buy that you are using 12 gigs of memory with an old 32 bit operating system. If you are then you have a number of other problems with upgrading.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Omega X

User avatar
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: October 18th, 2007, 2:38 pm
Location: A Parallel Dimension...

Post Posted April 26th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Ram is dirt cheap these days and mobo+proc upgrades are easily obtained with a little saving and research.

D.Dancer

User avatar
 
Posts: 74
Joined: February 5th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Post Posted April 27th, 2012, 12:11 pm

@Loud Noise
Windows 2000 supports 16gigs natively, a MS mistake in which they have corrected with later issues of windows by charging you more money to be able to use more memory.

@Omega X
I got plenty of Ram, I just want to use, (in this case, keep using), an OS that supports that much memory.

@Gingerbread Man
Once firefox does the update check, it sets something in the about:config which keeps the dialog popping up.

Aside from some of the fancy frills on W7, in terms of memory management, we're talking one DLL in which 16 bytes differ between the various flavors available.

Gingerbread Man

User avatar
 
Posts: 7744
Joined: January 30th, 2007, 10:55 am

Post Posted April 27th, 2012, 7:07 pm

D.Dancer wrote:Once firefox does the update check, it sets something in the about:config which keeps the dialog popping up.

Care to share what that is? If your user agent is accurate, you're running Firefox 12 on Windows 2000. I take it you're not putting up with a nag message at every startup.

LoudNoise
New Member

User avatar
 
Posts: 40048
Joined: October 18th, 2007, 1:45 pm
Location: Next door to the west

Post Posted April 27th, 2012, 7:26 pm

D.Dancer wrote:@Loud Noise
Windows 2000 supports 16gigs natively, a MS mistake in which they have corrected with later issues of windows by charging you more money to be able to use more memory.


Nonsense. A 32 bit chip cannot address that much ram by a long shot.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Andrew`
 
Posts: 146
Joined: August 20th, 2011, 9:03 pm

Post Posted April 28th, 2012, 12:58 am

LoudNoise wrote:
D.Dancer wrote:@Loud Noise
Windows 2000 supports 16gigs natively, a MS mistake in which they have corrected with later issues of windows by charging you more money to be able to use more memory.


Nonsense. A 32 bit chip cannot address that much ram by a long shot.

Unless you're running Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Limited Edition on x86-64. Which is reasonably unlikely for 99.5% of people running 2000.

D.Dancer

User avatar
 
Posts: 74
Joined: February 5th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Post Posted April 28th, 2012, 11:42 am

Gingerbread Man wrote:
D.Dancer wrote:Once firefox does the update check, it sets something in the about:config which keeps the dialog popping up.

Care to share what that is? If your user agent is accurate, you're running Firefox 12 on Windows 2000. I take it you're not putting up with a nag message at every startup.

I'd love to share it, but so far I've not found it.

And as of right now, in the attempt to be rid of the nag screen that pops up every startup, I installed 11, and it's STILL showing up.

LoudNoise
New Member

User avatar
 
Posts: 40048
Joined: October 18th, 2007, 1:45 pm
Location: Next door to the west

Post Posted April 28th, 2012, 12:37 pm

Mind taking a screen shot of what you are seeing?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

D.Dancer

User avatar
 
Posts: 74
Joined: February 5th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Post Posted April 28th, 2012, 2:29 pm

Image
Image

D.Dancer

User avatar
 
Posts: 74
Joined: February 5th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Post Posted April 28th, 2012, 3:15 pm

Remember, I turned off update checking:
Image

JayhawksRock

User avatar
 
Posts: 10433
Joined: October 24th, 2010, 8:51 am

Post Posted April 28th, 2012, 7:25 pm

D.Dancer wrote:Remember, I turned off update checking:
Image

Check Help > About and see what channel you are on. This screen shot shows it is offering Firefox 13 which is Beta.

I think you can get rid of the nag by changing the update pref in options to Check for updates and declining a few times and then setting it back to never.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln

patrickjdempsey

User avatar
 
Posts: 23734
Joined: October 23rd, 2008, 11:43 am
Location: Asheville NC

Post Posted April 29th, 2012, 1:08 pm

I was on the release channel and still got the nag screen. There's probably an about:config pref somewhere... check prefs.js.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Return to Firefox General


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests