I am sick of the frequent updates of Fierfox

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Re: Firefox 10.0.2 chemspill to be released on Friday

Post by VanillaMozilla »

David Bailey wrote:s this level of aggression really useful?

Aggression? Sarcastic or cynical maybe, but notice that I gave you useful information. Take it or leave it.
David Bailey

Re: Firefox 10.0.2 chemspill to be released on Friday

Post by David Bailey »

Daifne wrote:
flaneurb wrote:
David, my suggestion is to separate ranting and asking for help. As you've noticed, people get turned off (or on) by the rant and forget that you're asking for help (which really doesn't seem that obvious).

And to add, don't hijack another thread, especially an important one like this, to rant or ask a support question. You have already been told that you need to start a new topic for any support issues.

Well I didn't hijack a totally irrelevant thread, because it did concern an update.

If you review this discussion, you will observe that none of the rudeness and over the top responses has come from me.

BTW, I haven't had another machine freeze since I turned off the auto updates. I still think that they can interact with other things runnig on the machine at the same time to produce some sort of deadly embrace. I probably had Mathematica and Notepad++ active at the time that the problem occurred, but it happened exactly when an update was proceeding. Remember, that if you lose stuff in a machine hang (as I did more than once), you don't feel super pleased. I simply want to use a stable browser and email client, I don't want to get into the minutiae of the software.

David
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: I am sick of the frequent updates of Fierfox

Post by malliz »

David Bailey wrote:I am sick of the frequent updates of Fierfox. On several occasions these updates seem to have hung my machine, and I have now turned off updates completely - despite the theoretical risk of not patching some vulnerability.

Thunderbird also seems affected. It is frequently updated with no apparanent change - so I have frozen the updates to that software too.

David

Only thing is you have been having trouble with Thunderbird updates a long time well before rapid release.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=542793&p=2854933#p2854933
To me this points to an external problem not of Mozilla's making probably Mathematica
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
James

Post by James »

Unlike with 3.6.* and earlier release where the updates were for Security and allowed stability bug fixes. The Major versions from 4.0 to present 10.0 were released without intending to have any of these partial chemspill updates for them at all in best case. Of course in real world use something can crop up that warrants a quick update as it could not wait for the next Major version (11.0 in this case) to be released.
Pravda

Post by Pravda »

David,

from version 12 onwards Firefox will feature silent updates similar to what Chrome does so you won't be actively prompted anymore to update to a newer version. This should take care of the perceived nagging. I would still strongly recommend to activate automatic updates again and bear with it until then.
You can't handle the правда!
Prince_Rogue

Post by Prince_Rogue »

Normally I do not waste my time reading threads like this that are almost always rants that go on endlessly.

Frequent updates? Where? When? For a long time I hesitated to leave version 3.6 behind but out of necessity, I upgraded to vresion 8.x and its been smooth sailing ever since. Even the two most recent updates to version 10 does not bother,me. On the contrary, it tells me that they must have squashed a bug or two. Better than leaving the bugs to tprnemt us.

Life is too short to type any more here... ;)
philly30

Post by philly30 »

it takes about 30 seconds to update the browser, i don't understand the complaints. Are people truly this ignorant that they don't realize there are various security issues that always need to be addressed, not by just firefox but all browsers and software? :roll:
Last edited by philly30 on February 19th, 2012, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

philly30 wrote:it takes about 30 seconds to update the browser, i don't understand the complaints. Are people truly this ignorant that they don't realize there are various security issues than always need to be addressed, not by just firefox but all browsers and software? :roll:

Why, yes. Yes they are. Not all of them, but yeah. Most definitely.
Pravda

Post by Pravda »

philly30 wrote:Are people truly this ignorant that they don't realize there are various security issues that always need to be addressed, not by just firefox but all browsers and software? :roll:

The issue of the original poster is not that he is not aware of that updates are a necessity but the means of how they are performed. I find this discussion superfluous to a certain degree as Firefox 12 will have silent updates. It just a matter of sitting it out until then.
You can't handle the правда!
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

Pravda wrote:
philly30 wrote:Are people truly this ignorant that they don't realize there are various security issues that always need to be addressed, not by just firefox but all browsers and software? :roll:

... I find this discussion superfluous to a certain degree as Firefox 12 will have silent updates. It just a matter of sitting it out until then.

My prediction is that some users will disallow automatic/silent updates and then still complain about the frequency :D
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

We're done here.
Locking to save the environment.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)