interesting yahoo support

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
flii

interesting yahoo support

Post by flii »

recently i sent an email to the yahoo customer service on their lack of support for non-ie browsers, specifically their application that makes yahoo the default email on a computer. i have used yahoo for several years now and like having yahoo my default email app. however, when i converted to phoenix, i didn't want any more ie windows to pop up, which yahoo kept doing with i clicked on mailing links. i tried reinstalling the app using phoenix to access it, but that didn't work. all "mailto:" links will still open ie.

if you're interested to see what kind of bs yahoo gives its users, you are more than welcome to see the whole convo. i find it quite funny and completely, 100% bullsh*t. :-P i told them that, too. lol. if any of the rest of you have complained to yahoo about its non-ie support, i should would like to laugh at their replies to you, as well.
alanjstr

Re: interesting yahoo support

Post by alanjstr »

Flii wrote:recently i sent an email to the yahoo customer service on their lack of support for non-ie browsers, specifically their application that makes yahoo the default email on a computer. i have used yahoo for several years now and like having yahoo my default email app. however, when i converted to phoenix, i didn't want any more ie windows to pop up, which yahoo kept doing with i clicked on mailing links. i tried reinstalling the app using phoenix to access it, but that didn't work. all "mailto:" links will still open ie.

if you're interested to see what kind of bs yahoo gives its users, you are more than welcome to see the whole convo. i find it quite funny and completely, 100% bullsh*t. :-P i told them that, too. lol. if any of the rest of you have complained to yahoo about its non-ie support, i should would like to laugh at their replies to you, as well.

I have a bookmark on my toolbar for message composition
http://us.f208.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose (change to your own mail server)

Mozilla came out with a great feature for mailto links, being able to right click and select Copy Email Address (strips off the mailto so you don't have to)

You could also make a bookmarklet to open a new window with that message composition.
flii

Post by flii »

that all gets away from the fact that yahoo needs to get their butts in gear and support more than just ie. those suggestions are good for workarounds, however. ty.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Flii wrote:that all gets away from the fact that yahoo needs to get their butts in gear and support more than just ie. those suggestions are good for workarounds, however. ty.

I've been using Mozilla/Phoenix so long that I forgot I used to use that. You could try reporting them to Mozilla Evangelism.
flii

Post by flii »

a link would be nice... ;) i hadn't heard about them before.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Flii wrote:a link would be nice... ;) i hadn't heard about them before.

errr, which, bookmarklets or Mozilla Evangelism? The latter is Bugzilla.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

... with "Tech Evangelism" as component.

But to come back on topic, what you got from Yahoo sounds to me like being automatically generated based on keywords you gave them. I think you have yet to talk to a "real person" at Yahoo. :wink:
flii

Post by flii »

laszlo wrote:But to come back on topic, what you got from Yahoo sounds to me like being automatically generated based on keywords you gave them. I think you have yet to talk to a "real person" at Yahoo. :wink:

yes i know. ;) but the conversation i had with their automated service was so unhelpful i had to laugh. didn't you? (laugh, i mean)
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Flii wrote:but the conversation i had with their automated service was so unhelpful i had to laugh. didn't you? (laugh, i mean)

I certainly did. I was about half-way through reading some university notes about how companies were turning to automated language generation systems which spit out pre-cooked templates based on keywords in customer complaint mail :)

- Chris
flii

Post by flii »

you guys might be interested in my reply. i got my words straight from alanjstr:

you have obviously not understood the question. plz try again.
tve

Post by tve »

try myway.com, you can read your yahoo mailbox with their services, maybe that helps...
Get direct, one-click access to any other Web-based Email service, including AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo!, MSN and more - right on My Way!
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
Matt34

Post by Matt34 »

Maybe I'm a bit dense here, but what does this have to do with Yahoo? I thought that it was the browser's responsability to handle mailto: links, not the website's. Maybe Mozilla/Phoenix should have an option "Open mailto: links" either "in default OS mail-handling program", "in Mozilla Mail" (in Moz only, not Phoenix), or "in this website: _____" where you can enter a website. Should somebody perhaps make a plugin to redirect mailto: links to a website or application of the user's choice?
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Matt34 wrote:Maybe I'm a bit dense here, but what does this have to do with Yahoo? I thought that it was the browser's responsability to handle mailto: links, not the website's. Maybe Mozilla/Phoenix should have an option "Open mailto: links" either "in default OS mail-handling program", "in Mozilla Mail" (in Moz only, not Phoenix), or "in this website: _____" where you can enter a website. Should somebody perhaps make a plugin to redirect mailto: links to a website or application of the user's choice?

Yahoo offers a download that will allow you to set Yahoo as your default OS mail-handling program. The problem is that it only works to launch Yahoo through IE.
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

two legged freak wrote:try myway.com

I'm liking this site already. It's a Yahoo news and stuff without the overhead.

One thing to note: they get their $ primarily from sponsored Google searching. I'm trying to find out how to change my Keyword Quicksearch to send a referral back to them; waiting for a response from them.
Goldzilla

Easy to do with ContextMenu Extensions

Post by Goldzilla »

You can get the URL from Internet Explorer to create a compose
page on any browser. Here's an example:

http://us.f104.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compos ... ir=ymmapi2

With ContextMenu Extensions, you can get the link text and parse
out the email address and subject line (if any) to insert into the
URL line for Yahoo Mail compose. I'll have to check to see if there
are other switches for the mailto: option.

You could do this in a custom script so that you just right-click on
the mailto link and then select your custom script from the Context
Menu.

It would be pretty easy to do this with a selection too for those
pages that just put the email address in plain text.

I'll take a shot at writing the script later this afternoon.