Discussion for 'The list is out, pick your top 5'

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
thenightfly42

Discussion for 'The list is out, pick your top 5'

Post by thenightfly42 »

Since, as alanjstr said in the new main thread for names
Include ONLY your top 5 choices (in a column for easier copy/paste parsing for those of us who will be hunter/gatherers). Anything else will be discarded. Don't bother giving a reason why you think A is better than B, just your top 5 picks.

why not add your comments and discussion here instead?

(I'd recommend that the moderators lock every other running Name forum, and leave these two running for now.)
flii

Post by flii »

here goes, but i'll keep it short.

- <b>sphinx</b>
1. Keep the most significant letters in Phoenix, so you get Phnx
2. Add a leading 's' and - if you like - add an 'i' in the middle.
3. So the result is sPhnx or
>>> Sphinx <<<

- <b>firebird</b>
firebird is the natural progression from "phoenix" and doesn't sound weird as a browser name

- <b>scamp</b> (Standards-Compliant And Multi-Platform)
very nice acronym, imo. catchy

- <b>flare/flair</b>
has to do with fire and doesn't sound bad at all for a new name.
grayrest

Post by grayrest »

I thought new name topics were considered harmful.
willll

Post by willll »

for hte names i suggested

adder - a reptile, albeit not a lizard. sounds cool
Nirvana - perfection for the perfect browser
Palantir
sphinx - sounds cool
Discovery - discover the web

talking to some people who never used phoenix before asked them for a good name for a browser, a name that might encourage them to try it out. sphinx and argo were said to be good names. we might want to keep this in mind
djnr

Post by djnr »

I'm putting up a "bad list"; this would be helpful because right now you have to look through a lot of posts to figure out which names are no good because of trademarks.

Edit - Flii has posted a better list at http://end.at/phoenixcutwhy

Not wanted by developers:
Names derived from Mozilla, such as Moz?????, ????zilla, or Mozilla Lite
variant spellings of Phoenix

Existing Browser Trademarks:
Chameleon - Another gecko based browser for Win32 is called K-meleon
Explorer - Microsoft owns this
Gecko - not really a trademark but reserved as the name of Phoenix's layout engine, which is shares with other browsers
Navigator - Netscape
Phoenix - Phoenix Technologies makes an HTML browser
Raptor - Gecko had to change its name from this bc of trademark
Salamander - Another Gecko based browser
Voyager - See this link

Let me know additions to the bad list, provide a link that shows the trademark, and I'll add it to the list. PM me the info if you feel that this thread is not the place for this.
Last edited by djnr on December 12th, 2002, 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willll

Post by willll »

there is an exsisting gecko browser called <a href="http://members.tripod.com/OskarK/salamander.html">salamander</a>. i dont no if it has a trademark but it would be hellishly confusing to have two gecko browsers called gecko.
djnr

Post by djnr »

Thanks. Salamander and Gecko are added. The list now includes brief explanations as well.

I also just added Explorer and Voyager to the badlist (now hosted by Flii)

Discussion wise, I'd vote for both Sphinx and Argo. Argo is great because it was a ship used in a great adventure (Jason and the Argonauts, the Golden Fleece)
Last edited by djnr on December 13th, 2002, 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
old Neil Parks

Reasons for my top 5

Post by old Neil Parks »

Neil Parks wrote:Arizona
Firebird
Phox
Tempe
Tucson

Arizona:
--State of which Ph. is the capital

Firebird:
--What a Ph. is, and what you see in the Help/About

Phox:
--Play on "Ph." and "Fawkes"

Tempe:
--City near Ph., where the Fiesta Bowl is played

Tucson:
--Arizona's other big city
Teluial

Post by Teluial »

• Quicksilver — Quick, rolls of the tongue, easily themed, similar sylable pattern to Firebird.
  • Fusion — Indicates things coming together, easy to say/spell, strong word, better than 'clever' spelling Phusion.
  • Prometheus — Mythlogical, returned fire to humanity, father of lots of good stuff that Phoenix/Mozilla/Gecko can be associated with.
  • Unicorn — Mythological figure, powerful icon. Downside: gruff peoples don't like horsies.
  • WebZeus — “Yeah, Zeus. As in father of Apollo, mount Olympus, don't fuck with me or I'll shove a lightning bolt up your ass. Zeus. You've got a problem with that?”

Overall, I think Fusion and Quicksilver are good. Fusion has that industrial force that I sometimes associate with the warhorse Mozilla, but with a clean, energetic approach. My second choice, Quicksilver, is easy to incorporate into any theme. Quicksilver has the appearance of silver, but the fluid, container-conforming qualities of a liquid. It also tends to dart around the laboratory like pop rocks in your mouth. I like the name, but it doesn't quite make me go "OO! Web browser!"

WebZeus, I could get to like. My web browser is the god of gods! Literally!
xah

for "Ion"

Post by xah »

The name "Ion" has advantages.

First, it is short and memorable.

Second, an ion is a charged particle, and thus is in an excited state.

Third, it can be taken to mean "'i' is on," which is meaningful.
flii

Post by flii »

i think i need to mention this, because some people are seemingly a bit confused by the naming process.

first, the developers <i>will not use any names that look or sound like Mozilla or Phoenix</i>.

secondly, they can't use names that have been trademarked, which is the reason for the name change in the first place

thirdly, all we[1] are doing is showing in a very simple form[2] all the names ever suggested for phoenix[3]. <i>the developers will name phoenix what they see fit.</i> the only thing we (users) can do is suggest names and try to make it easier for the devs to pick one out. keep in mind, however, that the popular vote from us might not be the top choice to them.

[1] - the people who made the list and are helping with it
[2] - can't get much simpler than a .txt file
[3] - that the five of us found, plus ones that are pmed to me or we see in the name suggestion forum
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

Flii wrote:ikeep in mind, however, that the popular vote from us might not be the top choice to them.

I hope so. I really dont like what the masses have been saying. But thats just my ultra biased opinion :)
flii

Post by flii »

badrad wrote:I hope so. I really dont like what the masses have been saying. But thats just my ultra biased opinion :)

i don't like most of them, either. lol. i'm (almost) glad i don't have to be the decision-maker on this one, because a lot of people seem like they'll be mad. :( (i still wish i was though. hehe. who doesn't.)
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Flii wrote:
badrad wrote:I hope so. I really dont like what the masses have been saying. But thats just my ultra biased opinion :)

i don't like most of them, either. lol. i'm (almost) glad i don't have to be the decision-maker on this one, because a lot of people seem like they'll be mad. :( (i still wish i was though. hehe. who doesn't.)

Notice I haven't picked my top 5 yet? I'm surprised more people haven't rushed in to list their favorites.
dakboy

Re: Reasons for my top 5

Post by dakboy »

Neil Parks wrote:Phox:
--Play on "Ph." and "Fawkes"

Also a play on a 4-letter word.

Why any connection at all to Arizona? It may turn off some people who consider it too US-centric.