Discussion for 'The list is out, pick your top 5'

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Radiowriter

Post by Radiowriter »

redmyrlin wrote:Sphinx would be on my list of least liked names. I think the 'nx' ending sounds awful and it just makes me think of the word 'sphincter'

Thanks for ruining Sphinx for me. It goes to the "back" of the list with Oce"anus".
Sarcasm - Another service I offer.
Firefox 3.0 :: XP
Matt34

Post by Matt34 »

ehume wrote:
Flii wrote:no polls allowed. :( people got so annoying with the name polls that the mods disabled them.

I don't understand that, really. We're into diversity, and some random user's poll puts no obligation on anyone. <sigh></sigh>

Ed

I tend to agree; I think that perhaps it's an ok idea to disable polls on the Phoenix forums (only!) while the whole name topic is being discussed because it was being overused. The minute Phoenix has a new name I think that polls should be re-enabled for everyone again. As Ed said, if you don't like a poll, don't vote in it! And I see nothing wrong with an occasional fun poll, along with the more useful polls; why make the atmosphere more formal than needs be?

--Matt

P.S.: Doesn't this discussion belong in the "MozillaZine General" forum?
MXN

Re: for "Ion"

Post by MXN »

My idea: <strong>Pion</strong>:
  • It's the least massive known meson (part of an atom) - Phoenix is very lightweight, too.
  • It's an abbreviation for Pioneer, which Phoenix also is, in a way.
  • It comes in different variations. So does Phoenix, though customization.
  • It is the most important contributor to the force which binds the atomic nucleus together - Phoenix supports web standards, which binds the Internet together.
  • It's one of the particles that are left over after matter and antimatter collide and anihillate - Phoenix will last for a long time to come.

And the symbol for pion is the Greek letter pi. That could be easily used for an icon, etc.
I know I'm going out on a limb, but...
Radiowriter

Post by Radiowriter »

MXN wrote:It's the least massive known meson (part of an atom) - It's one of the particles that are left over after matter and antimatter collide and anihillate.

Albert Einstein and Sigmund Freud are in your corner, MXN! It's maybe a bit too "techie" for average users (and this one actually IS a USERS browser, right?). Pion sounds too much like peon.
Sarcasm - Another service I offer.
Firefox 3.0 :: XP
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Yep, I think "peon" for "pion".

I've went off Sphinx a bit too, but only because I got bored of looking for artwork for it. I kept thinking of Tutenkhamen's death mask instead of the Sphinx.

- Chris
flii

Post by flii »

you didn't get really pissed off with all the polls people were making and all the new name threads where one person suggested just 1 name or had to put their own list of names up? i guess i did. i was very happy they were taken down til this was settled a bit. after this name thing goes away, i would like polls back up. there are some funny ones and some good things to poll about. i just don't think this naming problem is one.
chrookee

Post by chrookee »

I quite like polls... accepting a margin of error... where people tend to vote for it more than once... it is interesting to note the interest in a particular concept/idea.
As long as voting is optional polls are not a bad idea.
Linux + Firebird + gtk2 + XFT is neat.
Matt34

Re: to Flii

Post by Matt34 »

<soap-box>
I think it is a bit silly and annoying when a million new posters come to talk about the new name for Phoenix and, with nary a post to their name, proceed to put up a poll with 5 of their pet names. I also think it is a bad thing when posters start a new thread about the name issue when there's already a thread for it. The solution used for the latter problem was simply to delete new threads when they came up if they really should have been part of the established name discussion instead. That is fair because each thread is evaluated on a case-by-case basis and nobody is prevented from starting a legitimate new thread because of it.

That is quite a different situation than with the polls. Because of a few (and I emphasize a few; it's not like there were ten new polls a day, not even at its worst) people went poll-crazy, people that want to start informative, insightful, or merely fun polls should be prevented from doing so? That's called collective punishment, or treating everyone like a potential forum-abuser. I know that the awesome moderators work hard enough already, but if they have the time to weed out bogus threads, weeding out bogus polls should be even easier because there are so few polls created relieve to threads. What's wrong with plain ol' moderation instead of a blanket ban?
</soap-box>
chrookee

for all you firebird fans ...

Post by chrookee »

check this out

http://firebird.sourceforge.net/index.php

I guess those who dont like Firebird will be happy..
Linux + Firebird + gtk2 + XFT is neat.
flii

Post by flii »

asa wrote:
Ted Mielczarek wrote:
http://firebird.sourceforge.net/

Is that convincing enough? It's a shame, I would have liked it.

What does a relational database have to do with a web browser. Trademark law says that there has to be customer confusion before you have a problem. The chances of someone confusing a web browser and a relational database are about as slim as someone confusing a loaf of bread and a bananna.

--Asa
shimage

Post by shimage »

MXN wrote:My idea: <strong>Pion</strong>:
  • It's the least massive known meson (part of an atom) - Phoenix is very lightweight, too.
  • It's an abbreviation for Pioneer, which Phoenix also is, in a way.
  • It comes in different variations. So does Phoenix, though customization.
  • It is the most important contributor to the force which binds the atomic nucleus together - Phoenix supports web standards, which binds the Internet together.
  • It's one of the particles that are left over after matter and antimatter collide and anihillate - Phoenix will last for a long time to come.
And the symbol for pion is the Greek letter pi. That could be easily used for an icon, etc.
I know I'm going out on a limb, but...

nah, i don't like it. it's about 150 eV, iirc, which, while light compared to baryons is quite massive compared to leptons (come on, it's a meson...). it isn't long-lived. the pi-not meson decays into a pair of gammas in 10^-16 s. the pi-plus and pi-minus decay into an appropriate muon (with the appropriate (anti)neutrino) in 10^-8 s. while the pi-plus and pi-minus have rather large decay times (weak interaction), they are far from stable. i dunno about flavors... it isn't exactly the word i would use there.

using your 'points' would suggest photon to me. it mediates the most important force in our 'everyday lives' (electromagnetic; come on, you don't want webstandards to be short range, do you?), it travels at <i>c</i>, it's massless, it doesn't really decay into anything else (you can't really talk about the lifetime of something that travels at <i>c</i>...), and its symbol is the greek letter gamma.

... sorry. i just have this thing with physics ...
shimage

Post by shimage »

Flii wrote:i think i need to mention this, because some people are seemingly a bit confused by the naming process.

first, the developers <i>will not use any names that look or sound like Mozilla or Phoenix</i>.

secondly, they can't use names that have been trademarked, which is the reason for the name change in the first place

thirdly, all we[1] are doing is showing in a very simple form[2] all the names ever suggested for phoenix[3]. <i>the developers will name phoenix what they see fit.</i> the only thing we (users) can do is suggest names and try to make it easier for the devs to pick one out. keep in mind, however, that the popular vote from us might not be the top choice to them.

[1] - the people who made the list and are helping with it
[2] - can't get much simpler than a .txt file
[3] - that the five of us found, plus ones that are pmed to me or we see in the name suggestion forum

and thank you. but if you're going to call it a "list of usable names" and then bitch to people when they pick a name from the list that isn't really "usable," isn't that a bit ... i dunno. i just seems strange to me.
flii

Post by flii »

shimage wrote:[...] if you're going to call it a "list of usable names" and then bitch to people when they pick a name from the list that isn't really "usable,"[...]

i do believe i tried to weed those those out (with others' help) but if you see any more, i'd be glad to take them out too.

the FULL list has non-usable names and was promoted as the list that had every suggested name we could find. however, from that FULL list, people were picking the nonusable names, even though we had posted what the devs said they didn't want.

since then, i took out those names and put them in a different txt file, leaving the original link to open a list of the "usable" names. the names in here should be "usable", though i say "usable" in quotes, because frankly i don't think some of them are really usable. lol. however, i only took out names specifically specified by the devs, so as not to get my head bitten off. ;)

take that all how you want to. that's my reasoning.
Joao M

Re: for all you firebird fans ...

Post by Joao M »

chrookee wrote:check this out

http://firebird.sourceforge.net/index.php

I guess those who dont like Firebird will be happy..

Their logo says a lot...

What about "Hinotori"? It's the Japanese equivalent to "Phoenix".
Hinotori = Bird of the fire.
googolplexer

Post by googolplexer »

Goanna
Googolplexer (If it does matter that this is my own submission... use "Gorgon"!)
Navana
Scamp
Serena