Experienced bookmark/profile loss or corruption?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Teeks

Lost some of my bookmarks...

Post by Teeks »

Which problem did you experience... profile corruption/loss or only bookmark loss? Partial Bookmark Loss

Did this happen after a Firefox crash? Yes

Did your computer crash, or did this occur after a normal shut down? Computer crashed

Was Firefox open when your computer crashed...? Yes

What operating system do you use (and which version)? Win Xp Home

What is the filesystem of your hard drive(s)? NTFS

What version of Firefox/Firebird were you using when your bookmarks were lost or your profile was corrupted? 1.0.4

If you upgraded Firefox versions, did you create a new profile or upgrade using the old one? New install, didn't upgrade

If you upgraded an old profile, what version of Firefox/Firebird did you originally use? N/A, as didn't upgrade. However, had previously used Firefox, but had uninstalled prior to installing 1.0.4

Did you lose other files or settings in other applications (including non-Mozilla)? No

Do you use or have you installed any bookmark-related extensions? No

Additional Info: Did not lose all bookmarks. Lost only 4 folders and their sub-folders. Not all lost folders were open at time of crash. Checked in profile manager, and a new profile had been created after the crash, containing no bookmarks at all. Reverted to original profile, and discovered that the 4 folders & contents were missing.
philkin

closeouts - via Java permission

Post by philkin »

Hello people,
On new system 1g Ram 200G Hd AMD 3000
Windoze XP S2 clean start
Fox 104

Initially, Fox simply vanished. It was clickable as a startup, but no display appeared.
Reloaded and seemed to have won.
Then regular shutdowns of Fox began - out of the blue.
It turns out to be when I have multiple tabs open (4+) and go to give Java permission on a Site.............. "Sorry have to close".

It is a regular - but not every time - experience now.

Have reloaded Java to latest - no effect.

This strange problem was also noticed with some secured sites like my banks - unless I specifically hit the expand button, my session would be shut down and I'd have to log in again.

My $200 worth (adjusted for inflation)

Cheers,
Him
--------------------------------------------------
NET Censorship?? They can't censor m
hellene

Re: closeouts - via Java permission

Post by hellene »

himagain wrote:Hello people,
On new system 1g Ram 200G Hd AMD 3000
Windoze XP S2 clean start
Fox 104

Initially, Fox simply vanished. It was clickable as a startup, but no display appeared.
Reloaded and seemed to have won.
Then regular shutdowns of Fox began - out of the blue.
It turns out to be when I have multiple tabs open (4+) and go to give Java permission on a Site.............. "Sorry have to close".

It is a regular - but not every time - experience now.

Have reloaded Java to latest - no effect.

This strange problem was also noticed with some secured sites like my banks - unless I specifically hit the expand button, my session would be shut down and I'd have to log in again.

My $200 worth (adjusted for inflation)

Cheers,
Him
Yes but none of this is to do with losing bookmarks is it?
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
Zapy

Post by Zapy »

Which problem did you experience... profile corruption/loss or only bookmark loss?
bookmark loss

Did this happen after a Firefox crash?
no

Did your computer crash, or did this occur after a normal shut down?
normal shut down

Was Firefox open when your computer crashed or was shut down?
i dont not 100% but i think so ( layiing in the background and tried to close it self )

What operating system do you use (and which version)?
WinXP Pro SP2

What is the filesystem of your hard drive(s)?
NTFS

What version of Firefox/Firebird were you using when your bookmarks were lost or your profile was corrupted?

If you upgraded Firefox versions, did you create a new profile or upgrade using the old one? (if you don't know, chances are you upgraded, but please say that you are unsure)
didnt upgrade

If you upgraded an old profile, what version of Firefox/Firebird did you originally use?
didnt upgrade

Did you lose other files or settings in other applications (including non-Mozilla)?
no

Do you use or have you installed any bookmark-related extensions?
no, but now i have bookmark backup ext.

My first thread about my loss:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1506501

FYI:
further more i did read in one topic that the bookmarks is store in active memory when FF is started, sorry to be rude but how stupid is that?
and why dosnt it exists any options like the bookmark backup extension, its sad that so many options and "flaws" exists in an other wise excellent product.
B.marc

Profile Corruption?

Post by B.marc »

Hi,

System: WinXP SP2; Filesystem: NTFS; Firefox Version: 1.0.4

I changed a user name, changed in every entry in the regestry (logged in as admin and afterward as user with new user name) and every file and folder names, which contained the old username, the old username to the new username.

Afterward (reboot) every program installed worked fine - with two exceptions: Firefox and Thunderbird (1.0.2).

The old profiles are not recognized. Playing with the help given here:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#move
I tried to rescue my old profile data, but no chance. All I see Is a white frame and at the top the names of the standard buttons (Forward, etc.). In Thunderbird the same.

Any ideas why this happended?

Marc

PS: To be honest, I did not read this complete thread, so please do not flame, if I can find the answer there.
hellene

Re: Profile Corruption?

Post by hellene »

B.marc wrote:Hi,

System: WinXP SP2; Filesystem: NTFS; Firefox Version: 1.0.4

I changed a user name, changed in every entry in the regestry (logged in as admin and afterward as user with new user name) and every file and folder names, which contained the old username, the old username to the new username.

Afterward (reboot) every program installed worked fine - with two exceptions: Firefox and Thunderbird (1.0.2).

The old profiles are not recognized. Playing with the help given here:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#move
I tried to rescue my old profile data, but no chance. All I see Is a white frame and at the top the names of the standard buttons (Forward, etc.). In Thunderbird the same.

Any ideas why this happended?

Marc

PS: To be honest, I did not read this complete thread, so please do not flame, if I can find the answer there.
You didn't read any of the thread in fact, as it is collecting information from people who lost bookmarks in firefox, not offering support to people who broke their profiles by moving everything around on their computers.

In Firefox - create a new profile. Reinstall any theme or extension, rescue your bookmarks from your old profile by copying and pasting.

In Thunderbird - don't know, so read the FAQs in the Thunderbird forum.
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
B.marc

Re: Profile Corruption?

Post by B.marc »

hellene wrote:You didn't read any of the thread in fact, as it is collecting information from people who lost bookmarks in firefox, not offering support to people who broke their profiles by moving everything around on their computers.

The thread is called "Experienced bookmark/profile loss or corruption?". I think, my problem is a profile corruption, as indicated by my subject. Therefore the informations I provide could help, couldn't they? So why biting me?

I did not want to know, how to rescue my bookmarks. I did this already (as noted, my profile is still there, but is not recognized by firefox - same with thunderbird). What I would like to know is, why the profile is not recognized. If I'm wrong here, sorry for bothering you.

Peace
Marc
cowboy

Post by cowboy »

My situation is different in that I had a hard drive crash. I've installed a new one but now need
to try to recover the old bookmark file.

Do you have the path of where it would be located ?

I'm running win XP and the lates Firefox.
Jn 17:17
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

B.marc,
Your profile and with it, your bookmarks, are stored under your user name. When you logged in under a new user name, you lost access to your bookmarks because you cannot access the bookmarks of another user. You did not lose anything. Somehow you made a mistake in copying the profile. If you need more help, please start a separate thread in the Support Forum. This is not the place.

Cowboy,
Go to Firefox Help, which is one of the bookmarks that came with Fx. In there you will find the FAQ, and with it the answer to your questions.
BlueGiraffe

Profile corruption

Post by BlueGiraffe »

My profile was corrupted after i restarted my PC without closing firefox.

No

I pressed the reset button so effectively an incorrect shutdown

Yes

Win XP SP2

What is the filesystem of your hard drive(s)? (how to find out)
NTFS

What version of Firefox/Firebird were you using when your bookmarks were lost or your profile was corrupted?

If you upgraded Firefox versions, did you create a new profile or upgrade using the old one? (if you don't know, chances are you upgraded, but please say that you are unsure)
I think I must have upgraded using the old profile as I didn't mess around with any profiles ever. I installed version 1 when it came out and upgraded everytime there was a newer version.

If you upgraded an old profile, what version of Firefox/Firebird did you originally use?

Did you lose other files or settings in other applications (including non-Mozilla)?
No

I did have Bookmark Synchroniser installed to upload bookmarks to a location on the internet and sync them with my laptop (so i still have most of my bookmarks) but recently I uninstalled this because my Dad was concerned about the security risks of publishing bookmarks online (although there was no direct link to them).

Some extra notes which are worth making:

My profile only seems partially corrupted as my search plugins remained, as did my extensions such as googlebar, but my homepage was reset to the firefox startpage and most of the settings were reset too (but not the setting to automatically open real player streams).

The bookmarks and toolbar links had absolutely nothing in, not even the standard mozilla links and the backup file was also completely empty. Strangely there was an xml file in the profiles folder although it was several months out of date.

Another rather strange thing happened. When I opened a new tab or searched for something within the page, the whole contents of the window constantly jumped up and down by a pixel or so. :-S

I have restored most of the bookmarks and the settings using the profile on my laptop and the jumping page problem has ceased.

Hope this helps.

BlueGiraffe
BenBasson

Re: Profile corruption

Post by BenBasson »

BlueGiraffe wrote:My profile was corrupted after i restarted my PC without closing firefox.

Sounds like you lost both prefs.js and bookmarks.html. Thanks for the report.

BlueGiraffe wrote:Another rather strange thing happened. When I opened a new tab or searched for something within the page, the whole contents of the window constantly jumped up and down by a pixel or so.

This happens when you have an empty bookmarks toolbar.
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

I'm plain sick of it. I normally just lost my preferences, but today I also lost my bookmarks. This sucks badly.

Which problem did you experience... profile corruption/loss or only bookmark loss?

No.

No.

No.

Windows XP SP2

NTFS

Created a new one.

Does not apply.

No.

No.

Installed extensions:
Extensions (enabled: 38, disabled: 0)

* fireFTP 0.88.3
* BBCode 0.4.1
* x 0.6.3
* reporter.mozilla.org 0.1.0+
* Delicious Delicacies 0.4.1
* Autohide 0.9.8
* BetterSearch 1.8.5
* A's Currency Converter 0.6
* downTHEMall! 0.9.4
* Forecastfox 0.7.9.2
* I must not fear! 1.0
* miniT (drag+indicator) 0.5
* QuickNote 0.6.0.1
* Adblock Plus 'Button' 0.5.7
* Greasemonkey 0.3.3
* RadialContext 2004.11.08
* BugMeNot 0.6.2
* Firesomething 1.6.0
* Card Games 0.16.1
* Platypus 0.4
* CuteMenus 2 0.6
* Menu Editor 1.2
* PONG! 1.7.1
* Sage 1.3.3
* ieview 1.1
* about:kitchensink 0.0.1.2005041901+
* Stop-or-Reload Button 0.1
* Slim Extension List 0.1
* Browse Extension 0.1
* Build ID Copier 0.1
* InfoLister 0.8.2
* Image Toolbar 0.5
* Download Statusbar 0.9.2
* Fusion 0.6
* HashColouredTabs 0.3.2
* SmoothWheel 0.44.5.20050523
* TargetAlert 0.8.2
* Tab X 0.5a Ultra
cowboy

Post by cowboy »

I lost my bookmark file, i recovered an old copy from my other computer.

But it wasn't up tp date.

Just wondering if there is another way to recover some of my bookmarks,
there should be references in the history file ?
anyone know where that might be ?

I'm running Win XP
Jn 17:17
victorinoxs

Post by victorinoxs »

- bookmarks loss
- YES!!!
- My computer crashed
- I guess, not very certain
- Win2K Pro sp4
- NTFS
- NO, I didn't create a new profile when upgrading...
-
- NO, only bookmarks are lost. extensions are still there
- Tab browser extension
whistleway

Post by whistleway »

I lost my entire bookmarks too.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4