Transitioning from Firefox 10 ESR to Firefox 17 ESR

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
post2forum

Transitioning from Firefox 10 ESR to Firefox 17 ESR

Post by post2forum »

Hello I am in the process of transitioning a bunch of computers from Firefox 10 ESR to Firefox 17 ESR. I'm having problems similar to those I had the last time I had to do a transition. I want Firefox 17 ESR to look closer to the way I had set Firefox 10 ESR if I can help it. Here's a screenshot that shows the differences I am experiencing:

The blue ssl tag is completely gone on a site like google's. The green ssl bar is now white with green letters that aren't bold.

Also the navigation icons aren't as big and are white now. It seems the color is the result of having set browser.tabs.onTop to false; when I change it to true then the icons go back to black. But I want the tabs on the bottom, not on top.

Any ideas on how to modify Firefox 17 ESR so it looks like Firefox 10 ESR?

Thanks
JayhawksRock

Re: Transitioning from Firefox 10 ESR to Firefox 17 ESR

Post by JayhawksRock »

This extension > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... bb/?src=ss should fix all of the Button styling, sizing and spacing. As far as the identity box changes, using CSS may get some of the old stuff back but I cant give you any guidance there. If you click on the new nav icon, a doorhanger shows that has more information button so the info is stll there.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
post2forum

Post by post2forum »

JayhawksRock wrote:This extension > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... bb/?src=ss should fix all of the Button styling, sizing and spacing.

Thanks I appreciate it. That did solve a lot of the problems. It does have an option "Classic green & blue colors for verified identities and domains". The green works ok but the blue doesn't work like it did in Firefox 10 (now in firefox 17 it just shades the lock icon blue without showing the hostname) so I'll have to report that.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

I'm not sure thats the fault of that particular Extesnion because of the changes in the identity box.

You might want to look at http://userstyles.org/ and see if there is a CSS script to get the old complete identity box behavior. I use this http://userstyles.org/styles/69715/bett ... firefox-14

Look at this search for others. Might be something there http://userstyles.org/styles/browse/all/identity%20box
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Consider that if you want Firefox to remain exactly the same forever, you will have a bigger and bigger job to do, and you will be more and more dependent on extensions, which may not be tested to the same standards as the browser, and may not work with future versions. You can only keep it bottled up for so long. Sooner or later, the cork might pop off. It's your call, but sometimes if you are supporting other computers, you might consider using only built-in options to change behavior, and just inform users of minor changes. Good luck.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Consider that if you want Firefox to remain exactly the same forever, you will have a bigger and bigger job to do, and you will be more and more dependent on extensions, which may not be tested to the same standards as the browser, and may not work with future versions.

That's simply not true. One theme and two extensions and my stuff looks just like it did in Firefox 3. All the new features are there, but it looks pretty much the same.

One extension put a progressmeter on the statusbar/Addons bar and another puts the favicons back in the urlbar. The RSS feed in the urlbar was just coded back into the theme as was the Forward/Back dropmarker.

I'm certainly not the only theme writer that does this. The theme/s is improved/evolves as time goes on, but the overall look stays constant. Take away the UI changes and people would be surprised just how few new features have been added to Firefox over the last few years.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

And another extension or more code to put the "Bookmark All Tabs" menu item where it belongs, and then maybe more modifications to take care of future changes. And there is always some possibility -- however small -- that a new version will break a theme or extension in subtle ways. I know you are a big proponent of themes and extensions, but it's also a viable strategy just to live with small changes or make do with built-in customization features.

I agree with you, though, that some recent changes are not very useful or helpful. I do like what they did with the status bar, however. It still displays status, but it disappears when you don't need it any more. The progress bar has been eliminated, but I have never found it to be particularly accurate or useful.
post2forum

Post by post2forum »

I updated the extension pack I made for Firefox 10 ESR so that it works with Firefox 17 ESR.
Here are some screenshots of Firefox 17 ESR with and without the pack:

Before Changes - Win7.png
After Changes - Win7.png
Before Changes - XP.png
After Changes - XP.png

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60718947/Firefox/makeprofile_61b2741.zip