Bookmark Manager Menu Spec

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
spark

Bookmark Manager Menu Spec

Post by spark »

Not sure if the developers actually read these msgs, but anyway:

There seems to be quite a few inconsistancies in the bookmarks manager menus: View -> Show Columns is surely made redundent by the little widget in the top right corner of the list? The same is true for all the sorting options - you can just click in a column heading to sort by it (click again to reverse sort and again to not sort). Removing these items wouldn't leave many items exclusive to the menu, so it may even make sense to remove the menu altogether as with the JavaScript console, leaving only the toolbar.

But then maybe the bookmarks manager will go in favour of the siderbar at some point anyway?

Just a few ideas, thanks for listening... :mrgreen:
flii

Post by flii »

my guess is the little button in the upper right is there for people who know where it is and are more computer savvy. the menu at the top is for people who need to have a place for all the options to be because they don't know much about computers or are new to phoenix.
spark

Post by spark »

In that case, every list with that widget should also have a menu, for example every tab in page info!?! I did think that that widget would be a bit difficult to access without a mouse tho (is this possible?)....

Fair enough about the "All options in one place" thing - i just like nice clean interfaces :P
flii

Post by flii »

i'm sure if you ask the right people here, someone will be able to tell you how to hide that file/view bar. i know i can hide things on my main menu toolbar with userchrome and that i can change the text of them in the en-US.jar file, so i'm assuming there's something simliar for the bookmark manager. here's a ss of what my menu looks like and the corresponding userchrome to go with it. i know i posted in at least one other topic about how to edit the en-US.jar file, if you want to search for that and see how to get to the menu part. good luck. :)