POPUP KILLER DETECTED!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
scooter-blue-tootard

POPUP KILLER DETECTED!

Post by scooter-blue-tootard »

I was surfing around, getting used to Phoenix and its cool popup window killer, and suddenly a javascript window popped up with the title: POPUP KILLER DETECTED! The body of the window said, "Please immediately disable your popup killer or this message will persist on each page you visit within our site."

What's the deal? Can I disable javascript popups for that site or, if that's not possible, for all sites? It really bummed me out to see that annoying message keep popping up. I was really looking forward to the popup killer option.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

You can disable JS per-site with the preferences toolbar extension. Out of interest, what was the site?

- Chris
flii

Post by flii »

scooter-blue-tootard

proboards.com

Post by scooter-blue-tootard »

thumperward, the site was our group of friends' forum on www.proboards.com.
wget

Re: proboards.com

Post by wget »

scooter-blue-tootard wrote:thumperward, the site was our group of friends' forum on www.proboards.com.

That popup is caused by this code:

Code: Select all

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
var a = new Date();
var b = a.getSeconds() % 100;
document.write('<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" SRC="http://www.4d5.net/popups/ads.cgi?c=all&r='+b+'"></S'+'CRIPT>');
// -->
</SCRIPT>

Go to 4d5.net/popups/ads.cgi[1] to see the code. It won't run it.

I'd use Proxomitron to kill the code and/or the server. Another option would be to turn javascript off in your browser. The best solution would be to get your friends to dump this lousy service.

[1] This url isn't hotlinked. I did that on purpose to avoid referers (!).
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Wow, isn't it wonderful what people come up with these days. I wonder how the genius who wrote that would like a stack of emails saying

"WARNING! VIRUS SCANNER DETECTED
please uninstall your virus scanner or a message like this will appear in your inbox each day"
>attachment: sdffda.exe (246kb)

- Chris
flii

Post by flii »

hehe thumperward, you should hear about this spam guy that my bf told me about. it's f-ing hilarious and i applaud all the anti-spammers that got that dude. *snicker*

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/28525.html
De Badd Ass

Post by De Badd Ass »

thumperward wrote:You can disable JS per-site with the preferences toolbar extension. Out of interest, what was the site?

- Chris

I went to the site. Disabling JS worked!

I had to go into Tools >> Preferences to disable JS. I guess I need to install the Toolbar extension. Thanks for the tip!
I got tired of people asking "What's a DBA?", so one day I answered "De Badd Ass"!