Old ver. of Mozilla?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
wheels

Old ver. of Mozilla?

Post by wheels »

Phoenix opens and the mozilla/start page loads, telling me first that I'm using an old ver. of mozilla. I d/l'ed and installed 1.2 and am still getting the message. What gives? Is it necessary to use the 'proper' mozilla build? What would be the minimum installation of mozilla (assuming I need it) and how is that done?

Thanks,
Geoff.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Try downloading and installing a less outdated version of Phoenix.
wheels

Post by wheels »

This started w/ ver. 0.4 of Phoenix. Just saw that 0.5 is available, but 'less outdated?'
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Phoenix and Mozilla go through very rapid development cycles. The start page is set to tell you if you're using a browser build more than about a month or two old. Remember that binaries are only really provided for testing purposes - they're meant to get outdated fast. Doesn't mean the build you're on is "old" as such. 0.4's still plenty good for most anything you want to do with it.

- Chris
wheels

Post by wheels »

point is now officially moot. Installed 0.5 and start page is no longer cranky. Still don't get why latest mozilla was not sufficient for (then) latest phoenix but is now. go figure.

Thanks for the replies,
Geoff.
willll

Post by willll »

the start page does not distinguish between mozilla and phonenix. you do need to have a current version of mozilla (or any version of mozilla) for phoenix to work.
RAF

Post by RAF »

willll wrote:...you do need to have a current version of mozilla (or any version of mozilla) for phoenix to work.

Is this true?
flii

Post by flii »

no. i have no mozilla anythings installed. just phoenix.

i think *maybe* what he's saying is that the home page needs a current mozilla to work? i really don't know. but you do *not* need mozilla installed to use phoenix.
willll

Post by willll »

the home page checks for the "age" of the browser. it does not take into account whether it is phoenix or mozilla. if it is too old the message about get a new browser appears. i believe the people are working on a start page for phoenix only
badboy

Post by badboy »

Flii wrote:no. i have no mozilla anythings installed. just phoenix.

i think *maybe* what he's saying is that the home page needs a current mozilla to work? i really don't know. but you do *not* need mozilla installed to use phoenix.

Yes. I agree. Phoenix is stand alone and independent and Gecko based. It does not need Mozilla to run.

---------
badboy
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

When any browser requests a page to a web server, sends an identification string. In the case of Phoenix 0.5 this would be
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win95; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021207 Phoenix/0.5
Which is exactly the same of the dec/07/2002 mozilla nightly build except for the "Phoenix/0.5" attached at the end...
"rv:1.3a" is the Mozilla branch deling with that nightly...
If I can remember right, Phoenix 0.4 was based on a 1.2b nightly, so when Mozilla 1.2 (and 1.2.1) came out, the "Mozilla Start Page" (which happens to be Phoenix's default start page, too) was telling you that Your version of Mozilla (the one Phoenix 0.4 was based on, so 1.2b) was older then the latest official release. This happens because the server recognises Phoenix as Mozilla, and people from mozilla.org are interested in you having always the latest version for testing purpose, not for just browsing with...
So this is not a bug or an error... It's just a consequence for Mozila & Phoenix being "brothers"...
..::XF::..