How do I open a new site in tab

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
lushan

How do I open a new site in tab

Post by lushan »

I sometimes copy a site's address from some file and wish to open it as a new tab in Pheonix. Does anyone know how?

Thanks!
xah

right-click

Post by xah »

Let's say you see a link that you want to put in a new tab.

Right-click on the link and select "open in new tab."

Voila!
flii

Post by flii »

or! :)

- [ctrl]+click
- middle click

also, if you like tabs a lot, you can check out http://texturizer.net/phoenix/extensions.html#tabbed , which has many nice extensions, but the one you want is the tabbed browser extension.
lushan

Post by lushan »

I am not talking about a link currently on page. For example, I copy a link my friend gives me through ICQ or something and I want to open a tab with that link. Thanks though! :wink:
flii

Post by flii »

3 words: tabbed browser extension
tve

Post by tve »

Flii wrote:also, if you like tabs a lot, you can check out http://texturizer.net/phoenix/extensions.html#tabbed , which has many nice extensions, but the one you want is the tabbed browser extension.

I wish I didnt always have to reinstall it for each nightly :'( why cant the "open new window in new tab" function be a default Phoenix feature? i mean, thats what tabs are for, to replace multiple windows.. and not having such an option in the Prefs doesnt make much sense to me.. :|
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

two legged freak wrote:
Flii wrote:I wish I didnt always have to reinstall it for each nightly :'(

Don't whine about your unforced upgrade. nightlies (hell, binaries) are for testing purposes and the curious only. Your PC will not blow up if your build is over 48 hours old.

why cant the "open new window in new tab" function be a default Phoenix feature?

Because it's already happily at home in TBE. most people asking for this feature also want something else from TBE, so the easiest place to draw the line is exactly where it is now.

- Chris
tve

Post by tve »

thumperward wrote:Because it's already happily at home in TBE. most people asking for this feature also want something else from TBE, so the easiest place to draw the line is exactly where it is now.

but the purpose of TAB's is to not use multiple windows, so that a simple "do you want to wish to open new windows in tabs" checkbox is no default feature is not understandable for me and doesnt make any sense at all.. thats the only reason why I and others download the TBE's.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Form what I've seen, most people who want single-wondow mode also want other tabbing functionality. And now I see you've crossposted this to Features too, I'm sure that'll get you what you want.

Gah, it's not even a missing feature! It takes about ten seconds to add it to a default Phoenix install, and still you moan.

- Chris
tve

Post by tve »

thumperward wrote:Form what I've seen, most people who want single-wondow mode also want other tabbing functionality. And now I see you've crossposted this to Features too, I'm sure that'll get you what you want.

Gah, it's not even a missing feature! It takes about ten seconds to add it to a default Phoenix install, and still you moan.

its a simple checkbox somewhere hidden in the Tabbed Browsing preferences, your PC will not blow up if this one checkbox is added :p

I posted it in the Features forum because its kinda unlikely that my "request" will be noticed by a developer here in this topic.....
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

If you go into the toolbar customization UI, there's an icon for "New tab". I just put it next to my Go button (far right side) for convenience.

Or you can go to File > New Tab, or press Ctrl + T.
flii

Post by flii »

two legged freak wrote:
Flii wrote:I wish I didnt always have to reinstall it for each nightly :'(

first of all, i never said that.

secondly, this is a feature a LOT of people want, and normally when a LOT of people WANT something it should go into the DEFAULT INSTALL.

when did this logic become complicated? *sigh*

[edit: looking back this post sounds harsh, but frankly, i don't feel like changing it. i mean it.]
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

thumperward wrote:Gah, it's not even a missing feature!

I agree. I also think it's currently a BUG in Phoenix that websites are allowed to open new windows as they please.
Default behaviour really need to be changed on this IMO, and then people can use TBE to let webpages spam them with new windows if they prefer that.
asa

Post by asa »

two legged freak wrote:but the purpose of TAB's is to not use multiple windows...

Says who? There are lots of people that use tabs and windows. One usage scenario is several windows each with multiple tabs. I, for example, usually have 3 windows open. Window #1 has my mozilla work related pages open - like bugzilla, bonsai, tinderbox, mozilla.org, etc.. Window #2 has my mozilla related entertainment tabs - mozillazine, slashdot, mozilla weblogs, etc. Window #3 has a couple of search sites up like google and daypop.
The point I'm trying to make is that it's unreasonable to claim that the purpose of tabs is to not have multiple windows. That may be one usage scenario but it's just one of several common scenarios and scores of less common usages.

--Asa
asa

Post by asa »

Stefan wrote:
thumperward wrote:Gah, it's not even a missing feature!

I agree. I also think it's currently a BUG in Phoenix that websites are allowed to open new windows as they please.
Default behaviour really need to be changed on this IMO, and then people can use TBE to let webpages spam them with new windows if they prefer that.

You call it a bug. I call it a feature. I prefer to not get 'spammed' with a bunch of tabs. My tabs are very carefully organized, I block unwanted popups and the occasional requested popup window is exactly what I want (especially when they are formatted for a tiny space and not a full page).

--Asa