MozillaZine

ReCaptcha impossibly difficult on Firefox exclusively.

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Inquisitor_R

Post Posted December 25th, 2013, 1:52 am

Can anyone else confirm that reCaptcha is exponentially more difficult on on Firefox as opposed to say Chrome or Internet Explorer?

This seems to a recent issue and their new policy seems to be causing me an 80% failure rate which is royally pissing me off.

LoudNoise

Post Posted December 25th, 2013, 4:44 pm

Works fine for me. What do you mean by more difficult?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

SnoutSpout

Post Posted December 25th, 2013, 8:26 pm

OP, read this
https://developers.google.com/recaptcha/
Sites have no control over what appears, so either complain to Google or keep hitting that tiny refresh button. And yes, it's a terrible system for the visually challenged, just live with it.

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted December 26th, 2013, 12:17 am

Honestly I think reCaptcha is just flat out broken lately. I've several times over the last month, encountered captchas that I was 100% positive of the answer and it failed. Not much to do about it except complain to them until they fix it.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Inquisitor_R

Post Posted December 26th, 2013, 1:02 am

@LoudNoise: Its back to normal now. What was going on was that the reCaptcha was displaying two strings of random letters that was so bady distorted it was near impossible to distinguish any of the characters. It was also specific towards Firefox. Internet Explorer and Chrome was displaying it normally. (Meaning one string of characters slightly distorted and the other string an English word.)

@SnoutSpout: I know. The problem was spread out across a number of services I was using. Plus I did just that and dropped a line to Google's forums. (Found out I wasn't the only one having trouble. )

@Patrick: Seems that things have settled for now. It was more annoying that it was only on Firefox this was occurring. Does reCaptcha even work anymore? I've heard there is software out there that can defeat that system.

Mo_D

Post Posted December 26th, 2013, 8:10 am

Spam Bots can defeat captcha. They've been able to for a few years now. I don't know if the recaptcha brand can defeat them or not.

The audio options have saved me several times.

LoveMyFoxy

Post Posted December 26th, 2013, 11:48 pm

I believe AdBlockPlus is removing some of the captcha boxes on FF. I sometimes have to open the page in Opera instead. But I think false negatives are a problem on the website.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2019.10/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/Sticky Password/Verizon FIOS wired network

Elbart

Post Posted January 25th, 2014, 10:13 am

Test: http://www.aug.edu/csvtest/recaptcha.html
IE and Firefox get the more difficult captchas with the black dot and the negative color, Chrome gets the easier version.
Stay classy, Google.
gone

Mo_D

Post Posted January 25th, 2014, 10:40 am

I didn't know they were using us humans as Optical Character Readers.

... The book pages are being photographically scanned, and then transformed into text using "Optical Character Recognition" (OCR). The transformation into text is useful because scanning a book produces images, which are difficult to store on small devices, expensive to download, and cannot be searched. The problem is that OCR is not perfect.

Example of OCR errors

reCAPTCHA improves the process of digitizing books by sending words that cannot be read by computers to the Web in the form of CAPTCHAs for humans to decipher. More specifically, each word that cannot be read correctly by OCR is placed on an image and used as a CAPTCHA. This is possible because most OCR programs alert you when a word cannot be read correctly.

But if a computer can't read such a CAPTCHA, how does the system know the correct answer to the puzzle? Here's how: Each new word that cannot be read correctly by OCR is given to a user in conjunction with another word for which the answer is already known. The user is then asked to read both words. If they solve the one for which the answer is known, the system assumes their answer is correct for the new one. The system then gives the new image to a number of other people to determine, with higher confidence, whether the original answer was correct.

- http://www.google.com/recaptcha/learnmore

LoudNoise

Post Posted January 25th, 2014, 1:08 pm

Elbart wrote:Test: http://www.aug.edu/csvtest/recaptcha.html
IE and Firefox get the more difficult captchas with the black dot and the negative color, Chrome gets the easier version.
Stay classy, Google.

I am getting something that looks the same in both Firefox and Chrome.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Elbart

Post Posted January 25th, 2014, 1:43 pm

Weird.

Here are my results: http://i.imgur.com/weGtaBW.jpg (nightly, ie11, opera 12, opera 17, chrome 33).
On Firefox Android and the Android Browser I get the normal captcha via wifi.
But when I use the mobile data, I get the street-number-captchas
And with Chrome Mobile I get the normal captcha over mobile data and the harder black-spot-captcha when using wifi.

A bit like a lottery, really. ;)
gone

LoudNoise

Post Posted January 25th, 2014, 1:46 pm

I tend to get both street number and the regular with both programs. That said, I am on desktop only.
Post wrangler

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted January 27th, 2014, 12:10 pm

I don't think I've ever seen the black circle of doom... and lately I've been getting lot's of street numbers... probably images from Street View.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Elbart

Post Posted January 29th, 2014, 11:29 am

Today it's back to the normal captchas.
So yeah, depends on your browser, your ISP and if the planets are aligned properly, or something.
gone

SnoutSpout

Post Posted January 30th, 2014, 6:21 pm

I wonder if there are any variances between DNS servers.

Return to Firefox General