Australis landing will need a FAQ Start with these questions

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
sekular

Re: Australis landing will need a FAQ Start with these quest

Post by sekular »

there was just never a good justification for remvoing the status bar or the tabs on bottom feature. If they had just not been lazy and added the necessary code to allow the chrome theme to work with the status bar and tabs on bottom then no one including me would be moaning about the new version.

Its when they remove features that people like and use without any good reason and then try and force their preferred configuration options on to the userbase.

Its very similar to way the MS removed the start menu and forced the new start menu on to users, its very offensive and inconsiderate software development imo.

You could make the argument that sometimes software changes have to be forced on to users because of justifiable reasons that are outside of their control. But the removal of the tabs on bottom and status bar (and removal of startmenu) are not examples of this.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

sekular wrote:Its when they remove features that people like and use without any good reason and then try and force their preferred configuration options on to the userbase.

They often cite a "good" reason. E.g., with Microsoft's Visual Studio 2012: "we want developers to focus on the code, so we'll remove unnecessary 'clutter' and make all toolbar buttons monochrome for good measure." :lol:
sekular

Post by sekular »

All the excuses for removing the features are non sense end of the day. Bottom line is its ego based, they have a direction they want to go to (who knows where this direction realy comes from) they then set about getting there, without any consideration for the users who actually use the software. If they had consideration they would have made it a priority to keep these features in even if it meant they had to make changes to other parts of their new code that was originally not a part of their direction. Basically they should have adapted their new code to include these options.

But for some reason they got it in to their heads at team mozilla dev that the status bar and tabs on bottom are just not needed any more.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

sekular wrote:Bottom line is its ego based

Not exactly. There are several hundred million other users, and they have a job to do. That job does not necessarily mean giving you whatever you want.

sekular wrote:But for some reason they got it in to their heads at team mozilla dev that the status bar and tabs on bottom are just not needed any more.

For some reason, I've got that in my head too. The status bar displays until there's no more status to display, then it gets out of the way.

Tabs on bottom? You may be one in a million. Can't help you there. Maybe there's an extension.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
sekular

Post by sekular »

Thanks limpet235 that is very helpful and it is better now that i have that. But i still prefer the old tab row with the square tabs and no transparency. How they went from v28 tab row to v29 and thought it was an improvement I am amazed.

I highly doubt that i am one in a million who use tabs on bottom, well definitely not before users were forced to stop using it by ego driven developers. These days after a few years of not having in the software i probably am one in a million who still uses tabs on bottom.

Now i would have to find another addon to fix the tab row.

that would be.

one addon for the tabs on bottom, one addon for the addon bar, one for the status bar, one for fixing the theme of the tabs row (if i find one maybe stylish script?) all when these were basic features in the software to begin with. What is next on the hit list do you think, do you know where they are taking firefox? have you seen later versions or a roadmap? do you know if they plan to remove anything else?
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

sekular wrote:But i still prefer the old tab row with the square tabs and no transparency.

So? STFW and read the fine thread.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Sekular,
Oh you mean you want tabs below the URL bar? That's not exactly the bottom, but you're right, that's what they've been calling it.

Easy. It took me about 2 seconds. Just read the fine sticky note. There's an easy one-stop solution for most problems -- yours too.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

The preference that was removed was browser.tabs.onTop which was true by default.
When toggled to false the tab strip was moved to below the Location Bar = tabs not on Top

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Yeah, but some people are referring to tabs on bottom of the window. Don't ask me why. They just are.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Yeah, but some people are referring to tabs on bottom of the window. Don't ask me why. They just are.

Where? I've never seen that.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Don't know. I've seen such requests occasionally, even recently, but I've never seen a screen shot. I don't have any links now and don't want to look for them. Personally, I hope neither one of us has to deal with it.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

That was a modification that people used to do in much earlier versions of Firefox which TMK hasn't really been possible since Firefox 4.0. There is a very messy hack to force it to happen using absolute positioning, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/