Helper Applications?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Visceral

Helper Applications?

Post by Visceral »

I was setting up my new Gnome 2 desktop and went to get streaming mp3s working. Under mozilla here is a place to set up helper applications so on clicking on a stream link XMMS will open it. I cannot the option to set up helper applications under Phoenix. Does it exist or I'm going to have to open such links with mozilla?
johnKFT

Post by johnKFT »

I was about to post the same question but then discovered the extra preferences that can be accessed from Mozilla. Go to: chrome://communicator/content/pref/pref.xul In here is a place you can set helper apps. In mine there was nothing on the list so I guess there must be some mozilla file somewhere that Phoenix is reading for the helpers, because helpers appear from somewhere. However, ones that I put in that Mozilla preferences are called up by Phoenix. Hope that helps.

John
flycatcher

Post by flycatcher »

johnKFT wrote:I was about to post the same question but then discovered the extra preferences that can be accessed from Mozilla. Go to: chrome://communicator/content/pref/pref.xul

I wonder why clicking that link won't open it. Typing it in works, and a handy bookmark for it on my toolbar works.

That file isn't even on my system, where is it? I start Phoenix with a local page, then clicking any other bookmark immediately brings up the dialer to my ISP. But clicking <b>that</b> bookmark while offline locks up the browser real good.
johnKFT

Post by johnKFT »

Yes, I find that link a bit flaky, but the changes I put in it do seem to be picked up by Phoenix. This is where I found out about it: http://texturizer.net/phoenix/tips.html#oth_pref . If you do not know this site then explore it - it is an excellent source of information on Phoenix.

John
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

flycatcher wrote: chrome://communicator/content/pref/pref.xul

I wonder why clicking that link won't open it. Typing it in works, and a handy bookmark for it on my toolbar works.

For some reason, the designers of Ph. have designed it so that you can't open a "chrome://" link by clicking on it.

I don't know what the reason is.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Neil Parks wrote:
flycatcher wrote: chrome://communicator/content/pref/pref.xul

For some reason, the designers of Ph. have designed it so that you can't open a "chrome://" link by clicking on it.

I don't know what the reason is.

That's probably a Mozilla design choice, and probably for security reasons.
johnKFT

Post by johnKFT »

I finally found where the helpers come from - globally from /etc/mailcap, with the mime types in /etc/mimetypes and locally in $HOME/.mailcap and $HOME/.mimetypes. I found this in the Advanced Preferences extension which is very useful.

Hope that helps

John

PS my phoenix now locks solid when I try to access the chrome link I told you about. I know not why. Before I could access it and alter it but Phoenix closed when I exited the prefs. Now it locks at 97% CPU when I try to access it. Anyone any ideas? Can't think what I have done.