Phoenix needs a new name

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
michel v

Post by michel v »

Basilisk is taken, it's the name of a MacOS emulator.
And of course, please follow Asa's advice and don't send emails to the Phoenix.com guys. :)
xweston

Post by xweston »

I've always liked the name "Weston"
shm

littlezilla

Post by shm »

littlezilla
krsna77

Guaranteed to be available

Post by krsna77 »

I think Phoenix should keep the name (and probably will).

But if it were to change, and I had any say about it (which I don't...):

<b>Deinonychus</b>

A smaller, faster, fleeter, smarter predator. A more 'evolved' dinosaur..

(Or, 'Velociraptor', if you /must/...)

http://www.cbv.ns.ca/marigold/history/d ... ychus.html
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

michel v wrote:Basilisk is taken, it's the name of a MacOS emulator.

Actually it's Basilisk II os somthing nowdays isnt it :D

Besides the risk of confusing between a MacOS 6-8(?) emulator and a webbrowser is pretty slim.
krsna77

Post by krsna77 »

michel v wrote:Basilisk is taken, it's the name of a MacOS emulator.

If one were to stick to the Dinosaur theme, Basilisk would be a poor name anyway.

Dinosaurs (if one subscribes to the Bakker theory, which I do) were NOT reptiles. Reptiles are slow, cold-blooded, and stupid. Dinosaurs were fast, WARM-BLOODED, energetic, and deadly. Better suited to life on planet Earth than mammals, even.

A new name for a Moz-based browser should reflect this (speed and power). That is, if anyone were to ask me (which no one has, but I digress). :)

Since birds are close RELATIVES of dinosaurs (closer than lizards and snakes), Phoenix was a VERY good name. :) A related name would thus need be chosen, were Phoenix to become unavailable.
STONE POWER D

Post by STONE POWER D »

Shazaam
Navstar
lynx
orion
felix

Well, Since Micro$oft has screwed their trademark

Post by felix »

You could probably call it:

Internet Windows.... or
Windows Explorer.... or
WindowsNet

Any body else got any "take a shot at Microsoft" names?
shimage

Post by shimage »

shoestring wrote:Priapus :twisted: - but, seriously, they make bioses, not browsers ...

i don't think that priapus sends the right message...

as for cerberus, scylla, typhon are all "bad guys". typhon attacked olympus, scylla is a formor-beauty-turned-evil-monster-that-eats-everything, cerberus is a guard dog. the cyclopes were horribly disfigured children of neptune (well, all his children are horribly disfigured...). vulcan is the lame god, no pun intended. phaethon wasn't man enough, so he died. hermes is the god of thresholds/transitions, and the like. i guess that's relevant...

why tuatara? because it's slow but energy efficient, or because it's virtually unchanged in the last so-many millions of years?

it shouldn't be some mythical figure no one has ever heard of (unless it sounds really cool <i>and</i> actually means something. but then it'd be trademarked already...). i don't like the greek thing cause most of those aren't terribly euphonic, and most of the ones being suggested are "evil monster" type things. first and foremost, it should be easy to say. personally, i don't think basilisk is all that easy to say, but whatever...

i don't see why the name should change. i'm not quite sure why they think that someone's going to mistake this browser with their company... i recall that roxio sued poikosoft because "easy cdda extractor" sounded too much like "easy cd creator," but it doesn't look like that went through.

provided that the name can be kept, phoenix is easy to pronounce (well. sorta, anyway... if you're familiar with it. if you've never seen the word before it might be hard to figure out), short, and is easily associated with a character most people are familiar with (though some try to spell it pheonix...). if all else fails, raptor sounds good to me, but i'm betting it's taken already.
STONE POWER D

Post by STONE POWER D »

withdrawn
Last edited by STONE POWER D on November 7th, 2002, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STONE POWER D

Post by STONE POWER D »

shimage wrote:
shoestring wrote:Priapus :twisted: - but, seriously, they make bioses, not browsers ...

i don't think that priapus sends the right message...

as for cerberus, scylla, typhon are all "bad guys". typhon attacked olympus, scylla is a formor-beauty-turned-evil-monster-that-eats-everything, cerberus is a guard dog. the cyclopes were horribly disfigured children of neptune (well, all his children are horribly disfigured...). vulcan is the lame god, no pun intended. phaethon wasn't man enough, so he died. hermes is the god of thresholds/transitions, and the like. i guess that's relevant...

why tuatara? because it's slow but energy efficient, or because it's virtually unchanged in the last so-many millions of years?

it shouldn't be some mythical figure no one has ever heard of (unless it sounds really cool <i>and</i> actually means something. but then it'd be trademarked already...). i don't like the greek thing cause most of those aren't terribly euphonic, and most of the ones being suggested are "evil monster" type things. first and foremost, it should be easy to say. personally, i don't think basilisk is all that easy to say, but whatever...

i don't see why the name should change. i'm not quite sure why they think that someone's going to mistake this browser with their company... i recall that roxio sued poikosoft because "easy cdda extractor" sounded too much like "easy cd creator," but it doesn't look like that went through.

provided that the name can be kept, phoenix is easy to pronounce (well. sorta, anyway... if you're familiar with it. if you've never seen the word before it might be hard to figure out), short, and is easily associated with a character most people are familiar with (though some try to spell it pheonix...). if all else fails, raptor sounds good to me, but i'm betting it's taken already.
Are you from new zealand mate,cause i was going to suggest tuatara but thought people would wonder what i was talking about.But i too think it has a good ring to it.
STONE POWER D

Post by STONE POWER D »

withdraw
Last edited by STONE POWER D on November 7th, 2002, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shimage

Post by shimage »

actually, i'm just a nerd... i agree that it sounds cool, but ... i just think that if it's going to be something that most people aren't familiar with, it should be meaningful as well.
ceovsenik

Leviathan

Post by ceovsenik »

Leviathan sounds cool...griffin, wyvern are cool too.
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

OK, so nobody liked "Priapus" ...

Howzabout (in no particular order):

Phoenicia

Firebird

PHX Rising

菲尼斯 (what Babelfish returns as Chinese for "Phoenix")

フェニックス (ditto Japanese)

Great A'Tuin (sp?)

... but the one I like best is "Phoenix".