Phoenix needs a new name

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
priior

Post by priior »

when u got a winner name.. u cant just hold it in! :)
schnuerbel

Geekish?

Post by schnuerbel »

Maybe this comes in as redundant - but after checking 30 pages or so in this thread, plus another two threads - I give up. So maybe my two cents are redundant (please don't flame me for not having read the whole thread)...

Most of the suggestions seen so far sound really geekish (to me). Names, such as greek mythology, birds and reptiles are used as code names during the development cycle. Even Microsoft renames their software for public use (or should I say: when they take it away from the geeks?).

To me, this gives two options: Stick with a code name where only geeks will know why it is named like this (and only geeks will use it) or try and get a viable online share with a "marketeable" name. Yes, this would imply - in the worst case - to name Phoenix to something like "(name here) 2003" or "(name here) MX" (the Macromedia way).

What could the (name here) mean? When looking up the thesaurus for "navigate", "explore" and "browse" - I get the following synonyms, which easily can be translated into a browser name after filtering out all trademark issues:

navigate: cross, cruise, direct, drive, handle, helm, journey, maneuver, operate, pilot, plan, plot, ride out, sail, skipper, steer, voyage

explore: analyze, burrow, delve into, dig into, examine, examine, go into, hunt, inquire into, inspect, look into, look into, probe, prospect, question, reconnoitre, research, scout, scrutinize, search, seek, sift, survey, test, tour, travel, traverse, try

browse: check over, dip into, examine, feed, flip through, glance at, graze, inspect loosely, leaf through, nibble, once over, peruse, read, riff through, riffle through, run through, scan, skim, skip through, survey, survey, thumb through, wander

But then - I didn't read all posts so far. And English is not my mother tongue - so that could also be the reason of my opposition to geekish names (Arias, Athena, etc.).
tvon

Post by tvon »

Flii wrote:
tvon wrote:Other thoughs:

Monkey Tits,

info:
tvon
Mozilla Newbie

did you purposely make a new name to suggest this???

No, I would have created an account anyways.
deynet

Post by deynet »

hummingbird
compact - fast - steady
tvon

Re: Geekish?

Post by tvon »

schnuerbel wrote:...

To me, this gives two options: Stick with a code name where only geeks will know why it is named like this (and only geeks will use it) or try and get a viable online share with a "marketeable" name. Yes, this would imply - in the worst case - to name Phoenix to something like "(name here) 2003" or "(name here) MX" (the Macromedia way).

You dont need to make it marketable really, just intuitive. People have associated web browsers with exploration or seafaring (Explorer/Navigator/Galeon) and while I like the name Phoenix, I think it would make the most sense to stay in the common veign. I've always thought that Galeon and Nautilus were decent names...I've never cared for Konqueror becuase I generally think that "clever spelling" just makes the company/organization look foolish or at least it promotes ignorance (IMO of course)(and I understand the justification of name-association, but I still dont like it).

At any rate, my vote goes for something that relates to exploration/seafaring....maybe the name of a famous explorer...but def not Columbus...or Magellen...maybe a Norse name since the Vikings were supposed to have discovered America long before anyone else....I dunno...but nothing "too clever" as some of the suggestions have been...

Granted, anyone who has any say in the new name has likely long since given up on this thread, so I'm not sure its worthwhile to discuss any longer :).

-T
tickwalo

Re: Phoenix needs a new name [maybe]

Post by tickwalo »

[quote="Blake"]Hi all,

We need to rename Phoenix. The kind folks over at phoenix.com have complained about trademark infringement. Anyone have thoughts on a cool, meaningful new name?[/quote]

However, Phoenix is a nice name (it's my Nicname) but if you have to rename it, then, for me, some of the following names would be nice:

Smilla (SMallmozILLA)
Litilla (LITelmozille)

or as shorter e.g.

Lila (LIttle moziLA)

or

Mozilli

or

Mozinix (MOZilla phoeNIX)
Phoella (PHOEnix moziLLA)

or try another name like

MERPHY
MERLIN

Hopfully that you will find a nice name

greetings tickwalo (if you would like you can also use "tickwalo" as name :-)
alias pheonix
flii

Post by flii »

-zilla names are not going to be accepted. the developers don't want any -zilla names at all for phoenix. this has been confirmed more than once and mentioned more than once not far back in this very thread.
Radiowriter

Post by Radiowriter »

Actually Flii (which I now know how to pronounce), none of tickwalo's suggestions actually had "zilla" in them. Wonder if this counts as a couple aren't bad.
Sarcasm - Another service I offer.
Firefox 3.0 :: XP
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Merlin perhaps, but Smilla? Y'know I love her sense of snow, but naming a browser after her? Nah.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I like Lila, actualy. Or Gila. Just nice names. Ignore the -la ending's possible significance.

- Chris
flii

Post by flii »

Radiowriter wrote:none of tickwalo's suggestions actually had "zilla" in them. Wonder if this counts as a couple aren't bad.

hmm true, but i think they're close enough to be counted as not usable. sorry for overlooking that in my first post.
Just_a_Character

Post by Just_a_Character »

'gila' means 'crazy' in Indonesian.
Radiowriter

Post by Radiowriter »

Don't need any legal problems with those CrazyBrowser people. :wink:
Sarcasm - Another service I offer.
Firefox 3.0 :: XP
Mister Mr.

Post by Mister Mr. »

How about :

Amalgam

just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.... keep the change.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Just_a_Character wrote:'gila' means 'crazy' in Indonesian.

So this is actually a "Crazy Lizard"? :)