Phoenix needs a new name

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

"Firebird" makes me somehow think of David Hasselhoff when he was younger, but that's probably just me :wink:
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

I was looking at some WW2 planes names (or nicknames). I think some are interesting (maybe they've been already proposed, but I don't have time to read all the thread :cry: ):
Aircobra, Corsair, Boomerang, Liberator, Warhawk, Swordfish, Freccia (Italian, "arrow" in English), Condor, Gladiator, Meteor, Wildcat, Hellcat, Avenger, Hurricane, Tempest, Typhoon, Stuka (this is German, don't know if it means something), Lightning, Saetta (lightning in Italian...), Thunderbolt, Sparviero (similar to a hawk), Spitfire (as I mentioned before...).

For the same reason I couldn't read all the thread (time's running...) I couldn't check all the copyright stuff... just hope some of these could look suitable.
Last edited by xfranky on December 7th, 2002, 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
..::XF::..
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

laszlo wrote:"Firebird" makes me somehow think of David Hasselhoff when he was younger, but that's probably just me :wink:

Yeah, Supercar!! Am I right??
flii

Post by flii »

i grabbed djn's list of the most popular names and thought of something bad to say about them all!

Scamp - lobster, shrimp, all-around italian food
Fox / Phox - hunted animal for sport, thought of as sly, tricky, and not trustworthy
Arias - hairy @ss to some. read the thread
Athena - tv show yet to be made, too hidden a meaning
Firebird - (bah, i'm not thinking of anything really bad atm. sorry)
Swoop - nike symbol

@djnrempel... i went to state competition for pellet pistol, but if you've done more than that, i'm afraid i'm outgunned. how about we take a typing test instead? i'm good at those. :-D

@laszlo... lol well i certainly never made that connection, and i don't understand it. hopefully that's just you. :-P

all that being said, i still like firebird. i saw another suggestion for sunbird, too, though. i personally like firebird a bit more, but i can go either way on that.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

XF wrote:
laszlo wrote:"Firebird" makes me somehow think of David Hasselhoff when he was younger, but that's probably just me :wink:

If that's what you call K.I.T.T. from "Knight Rider", yes. :) OMG, we're heavily off-topic here.
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

laszlo wrote:
XF wrote:

If that's what you call K.I.T.T. from "Knight Rider", yes. :) OMG, we're heavily off-topic here.

Right, that was the Italian name (even if it's not really an Italian name...).
So, why not use KITT name for Phoenix?? :lol:
Sorry... never really wanted to go so much OT...
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

djnrempel wrote:Any others? Would you also like to see this kind of a poll?

I guess. I wonder how the developers are going to choose, and how far along they are in their choice.
../frank

Post by ../frank »

I'm just catching up in this thread.

I agree with <b>djnrempel</b> that a new serious poll for popular names is in order. More like a litmus test than an absolute must use this name. Ground rules for that thread should be <b>Do not suggest a new name here!</b>. We can only hope people will follow the rules.

<b>[OT to XF]: </b>
I have an ALFAROMEO GTV-6 that I've been storing for about 10 years. One of these days I'm going to bring it back to like-new condition. I called it KITT on occasions because it had an electronic mind of its own.

FWIW, KITT was an acronym for "Knight Industries Two Thousand".
../frank
My avatar cat, Mr. Gary Gray, passed away on 17 Oct 2013. RIP Gary! :cry:
djnr

Post by djnr »

Flii wrote:i grabbed djn's list of the most popular names and thought of something bad to say about them all!
@djnrempel... i went to state competition for pellet pistol, but if you've done more than that, i'm afraid i'm outgunned. how about we take a typing test instead? i'm good at those. :-D
all that being said, i still like firebird. i saw another suggestion for sunbird, too, though. i personally like firebird a bit more, but i can go either way on that.

I think something bad could be said about any name, including Phoenix. (It's the name of a city...)

I really like firebird for many reasons though, which is the one that you couldn't come up with anything for. Maybe that's a sign?

Firebird/Athena/Spitfire I think are my top three

Sunbird leaves me with a "neh." feeling.

btw, you've got me in the typing contest, I'm horrible. I was thinking more of making a page look decent in Netscape 4 using HTML4/CSS2, that's a challenge! Loser has to use Netscape 4 for a week.
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

djnrempel wrote:Loser has to use Netscape 4 for a week.

HAHAHAHAHA!
seb

Post by seb »

djnrempel wrote:btw, you've got me in the typing contest, I'm horrible. I was thinking more of making a page look decent in Netscape 4 using HTML4/CSS2, that's a challenge!

You probably wanted to write "HTML4/a few CSS1 properties that Netscape 4 doesn't totally fuck up"
flii

Post by flii »

djnrempel wrote:btw, you've got me in the typing contest, I'm horrible. I was thinking more of making a page look decent in Netscape 4 using HTML4/CSS2, that's a challenge! Loser has to use Netscape 4 for a week.

(this paragraph ot) . . . . . . you have got to be joking. i have always always hated netscape with a passion, and when i saw mozilla's interface, i hated that too. (notice i said the interface on mozilla, not the back-end. i've learned.) when my fiance told me about phoenix, i loved it almost at first sight. i loved ie before phoenix, even with all the m$ bs. i would literally go nuts if i lost and had to use netscape. lol. i can't stand it. so, i think if this is a dual, we each should have a second person, like the one who used to hold the guns. a "second" i believe is the term. i get stefan!

to make this post the least little bit on-topic, however, i'd say my top three are phoenix (sorry couldn't resist), firebird (i agree with your sunbird sentiment), scamp (it's cute), and fox/phox.
scratch

Re: Phoenix names

Post by scratch »

krashtd wrote:or what about Sunbird... ? similar to Firebird and Phoenix

I like it.
djnr

Post by djnr »

But how is sunbird better than firebird? Not sure why its getting suggested...
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

djnrempel wrote:But how is sunbird better than firebird? Not sure why its getting suggested...

I couldn't agree stronger.