Phoenix needs a new name

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
shoestring

Re: Idears

Post by shoestring »

Kommet wrote: We would need to be sure to always pronounce it as "Jag-war" to avoid pissing off the British car company "Jag-yoo-ar".

Or maybe ProZilla then?

PeniZillin?
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

shoestring wrote:
PeniZillin?

LOL :D
fruitcake

Post by fruitcake »

How about 'Phallus' ?

(You know, rising from something-metaphor)
Jedi Knight

iSpider or Spider, If You Want To Keep It Simple.

Post by Jedi Knight »

I personally prefer iSpider.
buffy_fan

Why not a normal *Corporate* name with funky build names?

Post by buffy_fan »

Ok, this is probably going to be a bit dull but...

Why not name the project something something dull and sensible that denotes what it *does* i.e. something 'Navigator' / 'Explorer' / 'Surf' / 'web' etc.

That makes it easier for the punters to get a handle on and more appealing to the corporates. Then you can pick cool names for the major builds, a bit like Debian? (which means you get to have this discussion every few months ;)

Lets face it, after 40+ years of us geeks naming things, all the good names are taken! (although I did like Barbarella)

Of course, this post is only relevant if you are aiming for the rest of the world with this browser - if it is aimed at the IT community, apologies for being OT!
Purpose is but the slave to memory, of violent birth but poor validity - Hamlet, Shakespeare
djst

Post by djst »

two legged freak wrote:BOWSER!

sounds like Browser and looks like a Reptile :D

Brilliant!
tuqui

A little of Sp@nish

Post by tuqui »

Lagartija
Lagarto
Saurio
aaronh

Velociraptor

Post by aaronh »

My suggestion: Velociraptor
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

Kommet wrote:I've got it! Name the browser after a jungle cat! Something mid-sized (not Tiger, not Bobcat) to illustrate the flexibility and space efficiency combined with killing ability, like Jaguar! They would make a great icon set, and we could do a rendered fur theme as an additional option to the Orbit-based default. We would need to be sure to always pronounce it as "Jag-war" to avoid pissing off the British car company "Jag-yoo-ar".

I think "jag-wire" is the pronunciation you are looking for.
djk

from /. discussion:

Post by djk »

I like Anka, if the description on /. is accurate.

An AC had this funny suggestion:
"Don't blame us for the rendering problems"
...kinda long for a name, though.

I also like Athena, as explained above in this forum.
oliversl

Post by oliversl »

How about:
Navigator 8.0 :-)
MozLite
MozNav
BrowserZilla
jayeshsh

Raptor caused Mozilla.org problems in 1998

Post by jayeshsh »

Hello,

Just a quick note on using <b>Raptor </b> instead of Phoenix: as far as I know, the Gecko engine was orginally called Raptor, and the Mozilla project had to change that name to Gecko, because of trademark problems.

So it would not be such a good idea to use it again for a Mozilla based project.

Regards,

- Jay
PS: Another thought I had: if Phoenix is a Mozilla.org sponsored project, and the developers (Blake, Asa, David Hyatt) wanted to present it as something based on Mozilla, why not call it <b>Mozilla Light </b> ? The only problem with this name is that it makes a direct connection to the Mozilla "brand", and I don't know if the developers want that.
seb

Post by seb »

Mozilla is not only a browser, it's a suite of Internet-related products (which includes a webbrowser, but also a mail/news reader, an IRC client, an HTML editor, etc).
schussat

In the "jungle cat" thread

Post by schussat »

I sort of like the "jungle cat" ideas of various kinds. It's a departure from the lizard stuff, but I think people are reaching a little too far with hard-to-pronounce mythological names, anyway. So here's my suggestion: How about Bagheera?
chrisMage

Post by chrisMage »

two things i hate in some of the previous suggestions:
anything with the letter i infront of it... iSpider, iAnything. It makes it sound like it's related to apple, or made for computer illiterate people.

Also, I don't like the whole *zilla or moz* thing. Plays on words are funny, but they get old. Phoenix is a serious browser, and it needs a serious name.

And what about naming issues for thunderbird? Isn't there already a car called thunderbird? **GASP**... I hope Ford doesn't sue..

But i'm still hoping phoenix.com will come to their senses...