Phoenix needs a new name

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
xfranky

Stukas...

Post by xfranky »

When I wrote the Stuka name in the thread I was makeing a list of all the WW2 planes nicknames I could find... never ever wanted to give Phoenix some kind of "deathly" name... Just seemed to me that many of them dealed with birds, fire and speed, such as Spitfire, Hurricane, Typhoon, Condor, Meteor...
That was just one of them listed in a list...
..::XF::..
sremago

Name proposal: PTYCHOZOON

Post by sremago »

The name of the genus of the geckos that can fly (common englisch: Flying or Parachute Geckos):

<b>P T Y C H O Z O O N</b>

lizard, flying and speed are incorporated. And no trademark....

I think it sounds cool - others may have a different opinion

sremago
stephen

Re: Name proposal: PTYCHOZOON

Post by stephen »

sremago wrote:The name of the genus of the geckos that can fly (common englisch: Flying or Parachute Geckos):

<b>P T Y C H O Z O O N</b>

lizard, flying and speed are incorporated. And no trademark....

I think it sounds cool - others may have a different opinion

sremago

Are you *serious* ? For the past week or so I've been watching this thread in amazement. The sheer lack of good ideas is pretty shocking; it's a good job (and fairly evident) that nobody in here works in marketing :)

The sooner this thread is closed the better IMHO. The developers have said that they're making the final call anyway, and I'm sure they can come up with something better than this.

Steve
slannish

New Name

Post by slannish »

My sugestion would be:

Hummingbird

Did not rise from ashes, but
its tiny
cute
and fast

Anyway its a nice name, isnt it?

bye
hib
wirtnix_wolf

New Name for Phoenix

Post by wirtnix_wolf »

suggestions:

SlimScape

FastZilla

Turbo-Scape

StratoCaster

Arizona(hehe)
Tobias Wamser

Post by Tobias Wamser »

thumperward wrote:Hate to tell you this, but trademarks are allowed to be _real words_, y'know. Just because stones have rolled for millennia doesn't mean you can expect to call the browser Rolling Stone.

- Chris

But Phoenix ist not composed, but a singular word. I would like to keep Phoenix. In germany it would be no problem.

But if we have to find another name it should be something not existing, because I'm afraid, for every existing word could a person be found, who thinks it has a right on existing words. And then please register that name, so that no one other can regiser it and the trouble begins again.

Damn Phoenix technologies!!! When does the first person have the idea to make a trademark of shoe, trousers etc. so that others have to pay, if they call their shoes shoes...

Tobi
Pedric

Post by Pedric »

I don't know whether it has been suggested before, I only read the first 13 pages of this thread so forgive me.

What about:

Palantír

(Thats from the Lord of the Rings, the name of the magic Seeing Stones of Numenor, which could be described as Middle Earths Browser). Spell it Palantir for ease of use...
dgil

Post by dgil »

Pedric wrote:What about:

Palantír

(Thats from the Lord of the Rings, the name of the magic Seeing Stones of Numenor, which could be described as Middle Earths Browser). Spell it Palantir for ease of use...

I like this word. :roll:
Tobias Wamser

Post by Tobias Wamser »

Pedric wrote:I don't know whether it has been suggested before, I only read the first 13 pages of this thread so forgive me.

What about:

Palantír

Again copyright-problems!!!

And it should be no "geek-name" but end-user-compatible: Not too difficult (for foreign languages too).

And it should be easy to remember!

I like "Condor" or something like that, but maybe there is a problem with the condor-airplanes...

Tobi
arctica

Post by arctica »

What about

"flame"

:D
stranger by the minute

Post by stranger by the minute »

As it turns out, Phoenix is also a <a href=http://www.e-z.net/~haworth/constel/constel/phoenix.html>constellation</a>. The adjacent constellation include Tucana, Sculptor and Grus. I think <b>Tucana</b> or <b>Toucan</b> or a variant could work; toucans are very distinctive-looking birds. <b>Grus</b> is a crane - not bad either.

Failing that, I'd research mythological birds. <b>Roc</b> - rukh - is short and nice.

According to <a href=http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Labyrinth/6262/phoenix.html>this page</a>, the Chinese phoenix is called feng-huang, and the male version is phuong and the female, hoang.

And the Egyptian version is <b>Bennu</b>.

I like the name Garuda, except it is of course used by the Indonesian airline.
Joh.

New Name for Phoenix

Post by Joh. »

......Ash.... Coal.... Diamond?

cu Joh.
belial

Post by belial »

what about "doob" ? a word including a symbol for looking and listening, for communication and input-information belial
tvon

Post by tvon »

The logic behind the name Konqueror (KDE's browser) was that "the Conqueror comes after the Navigator and the Explorer"....so, how about "Corporate Empire"?

Other thoughs:

Monkey Tits,
Zoom Machine
Spiffy Wiffy
Dot-com-inator
Peanut
Cashew (or "Cashew Nut")

Oh, inspired by "MS SQL Server", and "MSN Messenger", how about "Web Browser"?

:-P
flii

Post by flii »

tvon wrote:Other thoughs:

Monkey Tits,

info:
tvon
Mozilla Newbie

did you purposely make a new name to suggest this???